Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-08-12 5:57 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Carpe Diem and Nanu Nanu

Since I couldn't find a thread yet....

RIP Robin Williams.  Sorry for your pain - you will be missed by millions. 

2014-08-12 6:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Carpe Diem and Nanu Nanu

I feel like I grew up watching Williams.....what a loss!! 

My favorite was his bit on how the Scots invented golf......I still cry laughing when I hear it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi6fPwWuO9I  WARNING - not safe for work or children.....lots of f bombs.

RIP indeed.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-08-12 6:16 PM
2014-08-12 6:33 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

My favorite was his bit on how the Scots invented golf......I still cry laughing when I hear it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi6fPwWuO9I  WARNING - not safe for work or children.....lots of f bombs.

RIP indeed.

one of my favorite routines.

2014-08-12 8:00 PM

User image

Elite

RIP indeed.

One of the funniest bit ever on anything. And I don't even play golf. A real loss.

One thing odd was how good of an actor he was. Lot's of comedians turn actors... like Pryor and Martin.... but Williams could actually move you.... well me at least. Dead Poets Society is one of my favorites. What a talent.

2014-08-12 8:23 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Elite
Absolutely tragic.
Such a great talent.
The world is a sadder place now.

btw, I've said it b4 in other threads way back, this guy was an excellent actor, not just a comedian. So many great movies.
Permanent solution to temporary problems. I'll never be able to wrap my head around this kind of act. Very sad.

2014-08-12 8:32 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Such a bummer. He was a kind, caring, good guy by everyone's account. And he was an avid cyclist--he supposedly owned hundreds of bikes that he referred to as "the herd".
And, of course, there's this--one of the uncountable hilarious one liners:
"Politicians are like diapers--they should be changed often, and for the same reason."

2014-08-12 9:44 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Never knew he was a huge cycling fan. Cool stories out there. Great actor and comedian, I love"Good Will Hunting." RIP, you will be missed.

http://road.cc/content/news/126377-cycling-world-pays-tribute-bike-...

2014-08-12 11:57 PM

User image

Elite

RIP indeed.

Bizarre I watched this today too.
2014-08-13 7:46 AM
in reply to: #5038761

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
I always struggle to wrap my head around being that low that killing yourself is the only option. I used to think it was the cowards way out. Thankfully I have evolved. When someone has clinical depression they are sick. Sometimes with little to no outward signs.

My heart aches for the pain he was going through. My heart aches for the family he left behind. My heart also rejoices in the joy and laughter he gave to countless generations.

Oh Captain my Captain.
2014-08-13 8:31 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Elite

Originally posted by crowny2 I always struggle to wrap my head around being that low that killing yourself is the only option. I used to think it was the cowards way out. Thankfully I have evolved. When someone has clinical depression they are sick. Sometimes with little to no outward signs. My heart aches for the pain he was going through. My heart aches for the family he left behind. My heart also rejoices in the joy and laughter he gave to countless generations. Oh Captain my Captain.

Ya, there is nothing rational about it. It isn't about logically looking at options. It's just about pain. Such a shame.

2014-08-13 8:45 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro

Originally posted by powerman

Originally posted by crowny2 I always struggle to wrap my head around being that low that killing yourself is the only option. I used to think it was the cowards way out. Thankfully I have evolved. When someone has clinical depression they are sick. Sometimes with little to no outward signs. My heart aches for the pain he was going through. My heart aches for the family he left behind. My heart also rejoices in the joy and laughter he gave to countless generations. Oh Captain my Captain.

Ya, there is nothing rational about it. It isn't about logically looking at options. It's just about pain. Such a shame.

Yeah, it's futile to look at suicide from a rational stantpoint. I don't know how many suicides I have been to in my life.....100?...1000?  I've seen them from age 13 to 90's, hanging, gunshot, carbon monoxide, pills, plastic bags over their heads, and on and on............I have no more idea about it than I did when I went to the first one.

2014-08-13 9:21 AM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
It seems comedy today needs to be over-the-top and riqué. Not with Williams. Good, clean fun like Mrs. Doubtfire, Patch Adams and RV. Granted, yes his stand up was offensive.
2014-08-13 9:22 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Yeah, it's futile to look at suicide from a rational stantpoint. I don't know how many suicides I have been to in my life.....100?...1000?  I've seen them from age 13 to 90's, hanging, gunshot, carbon monoxide, pills, plastic bags over their heads, and on and on............I have no more idea about it than I did when I went to the first one.

so so sad.  He could not see the light and joy he brought to so many.  Its interesting to look and see how many of his films dealt with depression.

2014-08-13 10:31 AM
in reply to: Socks

Master
Memphis, TN
Very sad when I heard of his death hoping it was an internet hoax but no such luck.

It's interesting that someone that I've never met dies and it leaves some sort of void in my mind. I personally know of 5 of my high school friends that became a teacher because of Dead Poets Society. It feels like a part of my childhood and young adulthood is now gone with his passing. Other celebrities pass away and it's tragic but this one hit a little harder.

He was able to take very serious movies and inject some humor in them like Good Morning Vietnam or Patch Adams. His standup routines was hilarious and almost made my wife go into labor watching it with our first child.

He was a huge talent and will be missed.

My favorite quote from his movies is:

"No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world. "
2014-08-13 10:56 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Pro
Tejas
The guy was a brilliant comedian. He could joke about any group of people, career field, religious or racial background. And make that group laugh at themselves without taking offense. That's pretty hard to do.

I always wondered if his stand up or stage personna was anything like his real life. he could be going 100 miles an hour in one direction on stage, stop on a dime, change subjects, character, accent and immediately head the opposite direction at 100 miles an hour with the new 'bit.' It was amazing and hilarious to watch, but I've known some people in my life that exhibited similar behavior. They weren't particularly funny as they were later diagnosed as bipolar. i just wonder how he could make a transition from doing an hour and a half of stand up and then 'come back down' to earth. I imagine that might be a low or depressing time for a personality such as his was.

2014-08-13 11:45 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

An interesting point that I heard was the generations of people he touched with his work. For me it was "Good Morning Vietman", "Mork & Mindy" during childhood and later "Mrs. Doubtfire". My kids know him from "Aladdin" and "The Crazy Ones". Quite a career. 

Mental disease runs so much deeper than many of us can understand. So sad for his family.

2014-08-13 12:03 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Dead Poets Society is in my top 5 favorite movies.  I liked RW best in roles that he could showcase his humor and wit, but was reined in enough to play serious characters (DPS, Good Morning Vietnam, Mrs. Doubtfire, Patch Adams, etc.).  I was never a big fan of his stand-up and really didn't like him being interviewed (although I suspect he didn't much like it either as he always seemed uncomfortable).

Through all of this coverage, my kids are being introduced to RW, the man behind characters they have known for year like Genie in Aladdin and Mrs. Doubtfire.  He is going to be missed, but at least he had so many good works for the future generations to appreciate.  

Edited by Hook'em 2014-08-13 12:03 PM
2014-08-13 2:28 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I haven't seen Dead Poet's Society in years. I should probably watch it again.

My favorite line of his from his movie, or at least the one I've thought about the most this week is from Good Will Hunting: "You'll have bad times, but they'll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren't paying attention to." I wish he could have taken that advice. Or, better yet, jumped on his bike and gone for a ride.

2014-08-13 2:40 PM
in reply to: #5038761

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Don't get me wrong. I know it isn't rational or logical. I'm a scientist so I tend to look at things through that lens. Which was why I used to have the previous viewpoint. I'm thankful I have more empathy now.

While naive, I hope that this will help bring depression more to light, destigmatize ( is that a word?) it a bit more and more importantly save a few lives.
2014-08-13 6:21 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Elite

Originally posted by crowny2 Don't get me wrong. I know it isn't rational or logical. I'm a scientist so I tend to look at things through that lens. Which was why I used to have the previous viewpoint. I'm thankful I have more empathy now. While naive, I hope that this will help bring depression more to light, destigmatize ( is that a word?) it a bit more and more importantly save a few lives.

Ya, and I certainly was not making a counter point. But all this stuff is the same... people look from the outside and conclude it does not make sense... exactly... it's not about "sense". Addiction is no different.... people look at it for being selfish and hurtful to those that love them... which it is... but it isn't about logical conclusions and wanting to hurt people. Schizophrenia... I don't get it. I have never heard voices... but some people do. I don't have a uterus, I don't get pregnancy. 

But for those that suffer from depression... it's a deep dark hole with no way out. I've been in that hole. I put myself there. Not recommended. Not a lot of fun. But the shame of it all is... there is help. There is. That is the tragedy. Not that a person's mind can conspire against them to kill them... but that they didn't get the help they needed in time. I did. That's the tragedy.

Stay healthy folks. If you need help... just say so. It's all around you. That's OK if you don't see it... you just need fresh eyes to be your guide. No different that a seeing eye dog... and who doesn't love seeing eye dogs.

2014-08-13 10:17 PM

User image

Denver, CO

But for those that suffer from depression... it's a deep dark hole with no way out. I've been in that hole. I put myself there. Not recommended. Not a lot of fun. But the shame of it all is... there is help. There is. That is the tragedy. Not that a person's mind can conspire against them to kill them... but that they didn't get the help they needed in time. I did. That's the tragedy.

Stay healthy folks. If you need help... just say so. It's all around you. That's OK if you don't see it... you just need fresh eyes to be your guide. No different that a seeing eye dog... and who doesn't love seeing eye dogs.

I've been there too, numerous times.  It's losing hope that things will ever get better that's the hardest to bear.  Luckily, I now recognize when it gets bad and can trust that when I ask, people will be there to help me out of that dark place.  Every time, I say I never want to go back there, yet somehow it still happens, despite meds and years of therapy.  It just does.  But it also goes away and I survive and laugh again.  You'd think I'd learn that it's not permanent, but that's no consolation when things are so dark.

Hearing the outpouring of love for RW this week has made me so sad for him, that his pain was so awful that he couldn't see his own value and he saw no hope that things would ever get better.  Wishing you peace, Robin.

2014-08-14 6:34 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Mrs Doubtfire came out when my parents got divorced and the movie absolutely broke me down. Good Will Hunting came out when I was a punk- kid running around Boston, getting in fights and hoping that I'd find a "Sean" who showed that he cared that much. Robin was such a huge character on the screen. This is such a hard one to swallow.
2014-08-14 12:48 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by laffinrock

I've been there too, numerous times.  It's losing hope that things will ever get better that's the hardest to bear.  Luckily, I now recognize when it gets bad and can trust that when I ask, people will be there to help me out of that dark place.  Every time, I say I never want to go back there, yet somehow it still happens, despite meds and years of therapy.  It just does.  But it also goes away and I survive and laugh again.  You'd think I'd learn that it's not permanent, but that's no consolation when things are so dark.

Hearing the outpouring of love for RW this week has made me so sad for him, that his pain was so awful that he couldn't see his own value and he saw no hope that things would ever get better.  Wishing you peace, Robin.

You two would know better, but I also would think it's very hard for the person suffering to know what's happening...

It's not like a broken leg where you can say "this is wrong and hurts and I should get help".  It's a feeling/emotion.  When you are happy or mad or sad, you don't typically ask yourself "is this normal?" and just go with it.  PLUS, I'm sure it's not something that one day you are happy, and the next day in despair to notice a striking difference.  I assume you start to get down like everybody does, but then it goes deeper and deeper and people suffering probably don't question it or just think that's just the way it is.  When I'm sad, I'm sad.  I don't question if it's out of the ordinary/normal and since I'm wired/chemically balanced, I bounce back.  But during that time?  I may toughen up and try to fight through it just like someone suffering with depression might do.  People that contemplate suicide due to depression probably don't think what they are doing is not normal, it's what they feel and don't question it, just like just about any other emotion.  I don't think most people routinely contemplate WHY they feel what they feel and determine if it's healthy they probably just assume what they feel is how it is, but can contemplate their REACTIONS/ACTIONS to how they feel.

I would also assume that in the attempt to "man up" and fight through it, people suffering may outwardly show signs of happiness to convince everyone they are ok.  That makes it a beotch for people the notice anything wrong.  So many times you hear "they seemed so HAPPY" almost happier than normal - it's probably a technique to mask it, which only confuses outsiders looking in and delays people stepping in and getting help.  I'm wondering if comedians as a whole might have slightly higher rates of depression/addiction and their comedy is just a way to mask it?  But I digress. 

I'm sure it takes constant monitoring.  You probably need outside observations to tell you if what you are feeling is "normal" or if it has gone beyond that.  I think self diagnosis is probably VERY difficult - again, due to the fact people generally don't question their emotions and that it probably sneaks up on you gradually.

Edited by Kido 2014-08-14 12:51 PM
2014-08-14 1:54 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Kido

You two would know better, but I also would think it's very hard for the person suffering to know what's happening...

It's not like a broken leg where you can say "this is wrong and hurts and I should get help".  It's a feeling/emotion.  When you are happy or mad or sad, you don't typically ask yourself "is this normal?" and just go with it.  PLUS, I'm sure it's not something that one day you are happy, and the next day in despair to notice a striking difference.  I assume you start to get down like everybody does, but then it goes deeper and deeper and people suffering probably don't question it or just think that's just the way it is.  When I'm sad, I'm sad.  I don't question if it's out of the ordinary/normal and since I'm wired/chemically balanced, I bounce back.  But during that time?  I may toughen up and try to fight through it just like someone suffering with depression might do.  People that contemplate suicide due to depression probably don't think what they are doing is not normal, it's what they feel and don't question it, just like just about any other emotion.  I don't think most people routinely contemplate WHY they feel what they feel and determine if it's healthy they probably just assume what they feel is how it is, but can contemplate their REACTIONS/ACTIONS to how they feel.

I would also assume that in the attempt to "man up" and fight through it, people suffering may outwardly show signs of happiness to convince everyone they are ok.  That makes it a beotch for people the notice anything wrong.  So many times you hear "they seemed so HAPPY" almost happier than normal - it's probably a technique to mask it, which only confuses outsiders looking in and delays people stepping in and getting help.  I'm wondering if comedians as a whole might have slightly higher rates of depression/addiction and their comedy is just a way to mask it?  But I digress. 

I'm sure it takes constant monitoring.  You probably need outside observations to tell you if what you are feeling is "normal" or if it has gone beyond that.  I think self diagnosis is probably VERY difficult - again, due to the fact people generally don't question their emotions and that it probably sneaks up on you gradually.

I can't speak for everyone... just me. I knew exactly what was going on. I made my mind up. Knew what it meant, knew where I was. It was the solution to a problem. The only one I saw. I just wanted it to end. There was just one small problem.... my finger wouldn't pull the trigger.

Now you could say that meant I really didn't want to. OK, sure. But I KNEW, there was no hope, that my life was over, and there was no way I was getting out of that hole. For "ME", I decided to actually do the things people said to do to get out.... only because then when I proved they were full of crap and indeed my life was over, then I would have no choice left. Except... I was wrong. It worked for me the same way it did for them... which is where I'm at today.... the other side of the fence. I know without a shadow of a doubt there IS HELP when I want it, and that it DOES work. All I have to do is ask... It's all around me. It's everywhere.

We all find what we look for. If all we look for is black, that is what we find. That is the spiral... an unintentional one. When we look for help... we find it. And sometimes... we still can't see it. All we can do is hold on to those that can. At least that's how it worked for me. I finally saw what they saw.

I don't go around offering up my life as a spectacle for "train wreck" entertainment. This is actually the only place on-line I have ever "outed" myself.... but I do the same that was done for me... I share my experience to tell others you are not alone. You are not crazy, and there is indeed help. Just ask.

2014-08-15 10:37 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Now they're reporting he was in the early stages of Parkinson's ;http://www.forbes.com/sites/danmunro/2014/08/14/robin-williams-and-the-devastating-diagnosis-parkinsons/ . Heard a report on the radio that sucide rate among those with Parkinson's is 10X that of population without the disease.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Carpe Diem and Nanu Nanu Rss Feed  

of 2