General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM taper concessions in IM training schedule Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-13 7:02 AM

Subject: HIM taper concessions in IM training schedule
All, I'll be doing a HIM (michigan titanium) on August 24th. I'll be doing the full distance beach 2 battleship 8 weeks after that. This will be my first stab at both distances. What taper concessions should I be making in the next week and a half for the HIM event?
If I follow along on my schedule the week preceding the HIM will be my heaviest training load to date.
One question mark for me is this next Saturdays long ride. I'm local to the MiTi event and would like to ride the course. My training schedule calls for a 5 hour ride. I can pedal the 56 mile course, then tack on miles to get the time, but it seems to me that I might be better served by just doing the 56 mile ride and leaving something in the tank for the next weekend.
Thoughts from the group?

2014-08-13 9:07 AM
in reply to: jaymcjay

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: HIM taper concessions in IM training schedule

It's not easy to give advice without knowing a bit more about your training, etc.  But one idea is to train normal until about Tues of race week.  Then, cut back and get enough rest to be ready to race hard.  The week following the race, you want to get moving again, but everything should be short & easy with your goal of being recovered enough to begin 'regular' training again by the weekend.  As far as the Sat ride, it's your call.  You can either bike the 5hrs or just ride the HIM course.  If you do the latter, I would bike it at HIM race effort (not IM effort).  Neither of those efforts should be so taxing that you can't have a good race the next weekend.  And if the IM is your focus, I would err on the side of going into the HIM with a little fatigue but get the training effect you want for the IM.

2014-08-13 10:11 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

The IM is certainly my A race this year, so is like to do whatever possible to best prepare for it.

A little background for me....
I've only been in the endurance sport world for about 20 months now. I've run a few marathons and a 50k trail ultra. I've never done a tri yet, so this HIM will be my first. The swim has been going great, I've been doing one or two HIM distance and one IM distant swims per week. I've been getting in a number of good rides, and generally keeping my running distance down. My last marathon was memorial day, so I've been trying to recover/heal/not reinjur things. That said I've been plagued with sports injuries that have been getting in the way of the training is like to be doing.

Right now I'm in good enough repair that I'm able to get all my trainings in, and I want to make sure I don't break myself during this HIM and set back my IM training farther.
2014-08-14 1:22 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
For my 1st (and only so far!) IM distance race I did a HIM distance about 10weeks before. I adjusted my training plan the week of the race so that all my long sessions were the HIM and my day off was the day prior to the race.
For the week after I adjusted also - my day off was the day after the race and pushed out my long workouts to later that week. I was pretty tired the week after the race adn cut a couple of sessions slightly short and then had a planned recovery week anyway.
8weeks out you should be just starting to ramp thing up so I probably wouldn't adjust too much. I used the HIM as a long training day adn it worked out well for me.
2014-08-14 10:08 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by jaymcjay The IM is certainly my A race this year, so is like to do whatever possible to best prepare for it. A little background for me.... I've only been in the endurance sport world for about 20 months now. I've run a few marathons and a 50k trail ultra. I've never done a tri yet, so this HIM will be my first. The swim has been going great, I've been doing one or two HIM distance and one IM distant swims per week. I've been getting in a number of good rides, and generally keeping my running distance down. My last marathon was memorial day, so I've been trying to recover/heal/not reinjur things. That said I've been plagued with sports injuries that have been getting in the way of the training is like to be doing. Right now I'm in good enough repair that I'm able to get all my trainings in, and I want to make sure I don't break myself during this HIM and set back my IM training farther.

If the above is accurate, then I am not surprised you find yourself plagued with sports injuries.  That's a lot of running to ask your body to absorb if you don't have a strong running background.  Fortunately, a HIM generally isn't as hard on your body (in the same fashion at least) as a marathon.  Best of luck!

2014-08-15 6:19 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

I have been learning my bodies limitations lately for sure. My determination writes checks my body can't cash.

I appreciate all the advice above. I will stick to the 56 mile course, and dial the training back just a bit during the tail end of next week. I'll take Monday off, then work back into a full load by the following weekend. Thanks all!

2014-08-17 9:40 AM
in reply to: #5038848

User image

I agree with training normal up until about Tues of race week. I did exactly that before my HIM a couple of weeks ago and I felt rested enough and also came back hard 2 days after the race and resumed IM training. I also agree that you can use that race as your long run and bike for the week. The swim is short so maybe stack an extra long swim into the prior week if possible. Good luck on accounts!
2014-08-18 7:53 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

I peddled the course yesterday and I think it will be fairly challenging for me to go fast. I generally think of West Michigan as flat, but there was about 1500 feet of climbing in the 56 miles. I was in my bottom gear abs out of the saddle in the first 2 miles. Fairly windy, and rough beat up Michigan roads too! I'm glad I just switched to 25 mm tires!

I'll take it easy in the second half of this week and hopefully feel good for next weekend, and the 8 weeks following!
2014-08-18 7:44 PM
in reply to: #5040261

User image

Best of luck to you!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM taper concessions in IM training schedule Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pre-taper IM training question

Started by swiss tri
Views: 2768 Posts: 10

2011-05-02 9:20 PM KathyG

IM 2010 training schedule - sharing ideas

Started by Plissken74
Views: 1402 Posts: 6

2009-09-10 11:13 PM Plissken74

HIM taper while IM training (x post)

Started by trishie
Views: 1135 Posts: 6

2009-09-12 12:53 PM Baowolf

BT IM WI training camp - schedule planning input Pages: 1 2

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 3117 Posts: 28

2008-05-09 5:10 PM Steve-

(IM) Tapering...what tapering?

Started by bigKarl
Views: 1273 Posts: 6

2007-08-24 3:53 PM snausa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 27, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
You may find your taper plan changing from week to week, based on how your body responds to the actual taper.

date : June 22, 2010
author : jasongootman
Design a triathlon race schedule with the right amount and right types of races to help you peak at the right time.
date : July 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I'm tapering this week for my first sprint triathlon. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calorie intake for the decreased workout load? How do I make sure I am properly fueled for the race?

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : February 21, 2008
author : mikericci
Discussions on 1/2 Ironman race placement 3 weeks from a first IM, treadmill to outside run transition, 4 days on/5 off workday training schedule, trainer workouts and 30 days of swimming to get fast.
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.