General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I joined the club Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-14 7:12 AM

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Subject: I joined the club
Yes, I've dumped the bike on a couple of occasions. But this is the first time it happened because I didn't unclip in time.

No idea what happened. Just totally spaced, lost my balance and down. Scratched my brand new bar tape (arrggg!). Garmin and water bottle went flying into the middle of the road and my brake was facing the wrong direction, but the bike seems ok. I landed on a curb on my baby back ribs, so I'm sure swimming will be delightful now.

Fortunately it was in front of about 50 high school kids, so you know they didn't think it was hilarious.

When do I get my membership card?

--
Dave

2014-08-14 7:30 AM
in reply to: davetib

User image

Subject: RE: I joined the club
Your card is in the mail. You get automatic gold status for falling in front of a large audience. Congratulations!
2014-08-14 7:49 AM

, Wisconsin
Sounds like you should get at least an 8.8/10, maybe better. We'll have to replay the tapes a few times to determine for sure . . .
2014-08-14 7:57 AM
in reply to: #5039299

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-14 8:06 AM
in reply to: brickbd

Durham, North Carolina
Almost happened to me on my last ride. I was zoned out not paying attention coming up to a red light and luckily remembered at the last second lol.
2014-08-14 8:40 AM

Oviedo, Florida
Originally posted by brickbd

Better check YouTube for the replay! You know teens these days, always funnier when recorded.

oh God... I hadn't thought of that..............

2014-08-14 9:31 AM

Denver, CO

I hear your pain.  After being out of commission for 2.5 years with injuries, I'd decided not to ride with cycling shoes this season because I didn't want to crash.  I thought that since I've only ever used clipless pedals on my trainer, I'd be safer with pedals that had straps so my feet wouldn't slip off and I'd still get power on the upstroke.  I just switched over to the strap pedals last week after using platform pedals for all my outdoors rides.  The first time out with the strap pedals, I came up to a traffic light, got imbalanced, and tipped over.  The guy in the car next to me wouldn't look at me but was obviously trying not to laugh.  I have a lovely 4" gash on the back of my leg from my chain ring and I'll be switching to clipless pedals starting Tuesday.  (My first race is Sunday and I don't want to switch now.)  If I'm going to fall over, I might as well have the benefit of my hard-soled cycling shoes!

2014-08-14 10:05 AM

I seem to manage one of those every year. Well played doing it in front of a group of HS kids.
2014-08-14 12:39 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Iowa City, Iowa
Well since I have been doing the majority of my training rides on the trainer I have escaped that this year so far! My KK should hold up, right? I only use toe straps and it happened to me last year while casual riding with my wife........she stopped to look at a family of bunnies and TIMBER I went! Just to say our rides together have dwindled.
2014-08-14 1:14 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Haha im glad im not the only one to do that...
2014-08-14 1:54 PM

I fell (beginning of my tri training) in front of my 5yr old daughter and my neighbor . I told my neighbor and my daughter that my bike is brand new and it's the bike shop's fault. My daughter believed me, don't know about the neighbor. (did not tell them that I was so out of shape, I could not keep my balance, had to take the bike back to the shop, told the owner that it's the gears not working properly ).

2014-08-14 1:57 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I've been riding with clipless pedals for 10 years and I did it for the first time last month. I was mountain biking, hit something which caused me to start to tip, tried to clip out to save myself and couldn't. Fell over and still couldn't clip out. I loosened the pedals off after that.

2014-08-14 3:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Ha ! That's great !
One time, on a very cold and hilly ride, I was climbing what must've been the 100th hill.
There was a ladie's race using the decent that I was climbing. I must've got distracted and went off the road and crashed into the grass.
In front of all the girls !
Yikes I thought.

Disclaimer - I did crash about a month ago. Came off the bike doing about 25, on a descent into a sharp turn.
Came off and landed square on a large boulder.
Broken clavicle - now plated and painful.
16 fractured ribs.
Massive hematoma - still not resolved.

Bit I'm good otherwise.
2014-08-14 4:05 PM
in reply to: louamerica

Denver, CO

Originally posted by louamerica Ha ! That's great ! One time, on a very cold and hilly ride, I was climbing what must've been the 100th hill. There was a ladie's race using the decent that I was climbing. I must've got distracted and went off the road and crashed into the grass. In front of all the girls ! Yikes I thought. Disclaimer - I did crash about a month ago. Came off the bike doing about 25, on a descent into a sharp turn. Came off and landed square on a large boulder. Broken clavicle - now plated and painful. 16 fractured ribs. Massive hematoma - still not resolved. Bit I'm good otherwise.

Your uphill grass crash cracked me up.  Glad you're "okay" after your recent crash and heal up quickly.  25 mph + large boulder = major ouch.  Yeesh!!

2014-08-15 2:42 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

Co Louth, Ireland
Originally posted by ChemNerd23

Well since I have been doing the majority of my training rides on the trainer I have escaped that this year so far! My KK should hold up, right? I only use toe straps and it happened to me last year while casual riding with my wife........she stopped to look at a family of bunnies and TIMBER I went! Just to say our rides together have dwindled.

I've fallen off the trainer too - trying to get a quick session in one night - must not have tightened everything right - doing some standing climbs and over I went in slow motion! Luckely bike wasn't damaged!!
2014-08-15 2:59 PM
in reply to: louamerica

Oviedo, Florida
Originally posted by louamerica

Ha ! That's great !
One time, on a very cold and hilly ride, I was climbing what must've been the 100th hill.
There was a ladie's race using the decent that I was climbing. I must've got distracted and went off the road and crashed into the grass.
In front of all the girls !
Yikes I thought.

Disclaimer - I did crash about a month ago. Came off the bike doing about 25, on a descent into a sharp turn.
Came off and landed square on a large boulder.
Broken clavicle - now plated and painful.
16 fractured ribs.
Massive hematoma - still not resolved.

Bit I'm good otherwise.

OMG! I've dumped it 3 times in as many years with nothing more than a few scratches and bruised ego. Like you, I was going about 25 down a hill, mis-judged the turn at the bottom and went flying into woods. how in god's name i didn't hit a tree is a mystery. I stopped, got off the bike, walked back to the trail and started riding again. A couple of runners came over to see if I was ok. They said they thought for sure I was dead meat. Damn lucky on that one.

Hope you recover from that major wreck!

2014-08-15 3:02 PM
in reply to: grahamclarke_6

Oviedo, Florida
Originally posted by grahamclarke_6

Originally posted by ChemNerd23

I've fallen off the trainer too - trying to get a quick session in one night - must not have tightened everything right - doing some standing climbs and over I went in slow motion! Luckely bike wasn't damaged!!

I would have paid $$ to watch you fall off a trainer..........
2014-08-15 3:52 PM

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by davetib
Originally posted by grahamclarke_6
Originally posted by ChemNerd23 Well since I have been doing the majority of my training rides on the trainer I have escaped that this year so far! My KK should hold up, right? I only use toe straps and it happened to me last year while casual riding with my wife........she stopped to look at a family of bunnies and TIMBER I went! Just to say our rides together have dwindled.
I would have paid $$ to watch you fall off a trainer..........

I fell off a spin bike in the middle of a 5pm spin class...  yep, I'm that talented.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I joined the club Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Joined the club nobody wants to join

Started by tkbslc
Views: 2147 Posts: 18

2008-05-04 4:21 PM houston-tri-mama

Joined 2 Clubs in 1 Week!

Started by monkeyboy64
Views: 756 Posts: 3

2007-07-05 6:45 AM Jiceman

I joined the club!

Started by madkat
Views: 944 Posts: 23

2007-04-04 7:59 AM LowcountryTRI

AAARRGGHHHH I joined the club today

Started by justjester2000
Views: 948 Posts: 16

2005-04-27 11:17 AM Machiavelo

Joined the club Saturday...Not proud

Started by rollinbones
Views: 798 Posts: 12

2004-09-27 3:15 PM jlusk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2012
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
A panel of four triathlon coaches answers questions from the beginner to the Iron distance triathlete.

date : September 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
The pros and cons of training with a group or training partner
date : August 14, 2009
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about the importance of triathlon clubs for your training.

date : December 17, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 2
The Monday after the race, I go to my health club for my first Pilates class in six years. I look like the fittest person here. Fortunately, I don’t mention to anyone that I’m a triathlete.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Inclusion is the key, with elements of the ride fulfilling the training and social needs of 95% of the membership. We have found that course selection, leadership have been the keys.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.