Canada
18C / 64F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 14m 12s
Overall Rank = 8/30
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Event warmup:

Took the bike out on the course for about 20 mins to evaluate the wind conditions. The forecast was saying the winds were 30-45 km/hr but since we were right on the ocean it seemed like more than that. While I was out there I decided the deep front and wheel cover were going to stay on as it wasn't dangerous, just needed to ride leaning at a 30 degree angle into the wind. ;)
Run
  • 45m 59s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 36s  min/km
Comments:

The course is almost completely flat with only a slight hill (more like an incline) at the start and end of each lap. We were very exposed to the winds coming off the water and out near the turnaround we had a headwind coming in at a 45 degree angle.

I just tried to run at a comfortable hard pace that wouldn't take too much out of my legs. First KM was a bit fast at 4:20 but from there I hit 4:32-4:35 for every split and felt great.

http://www.strava.com/activities/178339123

What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I think this was the right effort.
Transition 1
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Pretty straight forward, ran to my bike, run shoes off, helmet on, get out.

Nothing really, only one other racer had a time that was more than a second or two faster and that was the OA winner (that ran 34 mins for the 10k).
Bike
  • 1h 04m 1s
  • 40 kms
  • 37.49 km/hr
Comments:

This was seriously the craziest, windiest race I've ever done. The race route ran right along the ocean going West - East with a North wind that was supposedly 30-45 km/hr but I'm certain it was more than that due to the ocean. The course was a double out and back 10k each way. Starting out the wind was from the left and it felt like I had to lean about 20-30 degrees to the left to stay upright. Lots of people were sitting up and I was catching and passing people fairly quickly. About 5k in we went across a bridge and the wind there was even worse and the road conditions on it weren't great either. The first time across was pretty sketchy and for the other 3 times across I sat up and just pedaled easily across - it was probably about 100m long. After crossing the bridge there were a few sections in the trees that had a bit of shelter from the wind but at the same time it made things swirly and gusty.

Target power was 250-260w and I was able to do that for the most part with the exception of crossing the bridge and in a few places where I had to back off a bit to 230ish when things got too squirrely. When I could feel the wind twisting my aero helmet on my head, I had to focus on being upright a bit more. :)

One thing that made things difficult was that I spent 15 mins leaning left and then after turning around, it took a minute or two to adjust to the lean to the right and then have to repeat that at each turnaround. By the end of the bike, both of my arms were quite tired and even one of my hips was sore from the adjustments.

After getting to the first turn around and seeing what the gaps were to some people I made it a goal of who I would try to catch. I thought I could get Pete, Scott and Brandon and maybe Mike (who was wearing a camelback?). I caught Pete at the second turn around and Scott just before the finish - in both cases I made up huge ground in one particularly open section of road. I think this is where my decision to keep the wheel cover and deep front really helped. I didn't catch Brandon but got within about a minute of him. Mike was really out of reach given that he ran a 36 min 10k.

We also had rain on and off during the ride, never anything too hard but I was glad I didn't have my glasses on or they would have gotten wet and streaky.

http://www.strava.com/activities/178335783

I dunno, it was just survival out there and trying to still pedal hard. I was happy with how it went.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

I hit the dismount line a bit hot (wet brakes) and the rear wheel jumped about 2 feet off the ground when a shoe hit the ground but I managed to hang onto it and not lose a shoe. From there things went fairly smoothly. I had to put on dry socks which took a few seconds. I also started running the wrong way to exit which cost another few seconds. All in all I probably could have done this 10 seconds faster.

Know how to get out of transition.
Run
  • 22m 33s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 31s  min/km
Comments:

I left T2 right behind Scott. I knew I wasn't going to be able to run with him but I sort of used him to pace a bit at the start. I felt pretty good right away, much better than I did for the two sprints I did a few weeks ago. Opening KM with the small hill was 4:28 and then 4:22, 4:26, 4:25 and 4:22. I tried to slowly build the effort as I went. As I neared the turnaround point I saw someone up ahead who looked like he was struggling with cramps. I set my sights on catching him and did so about 1km after the turn around. From there we started merging with the Sprint racers (who started an hour after us) and I decided to use some of them as targets to catch. That worked to keep me focused as I knew there was no one behind me that was close enough to catch me. I had a strong run to the finish that I was happy with.

While the run also had the strong cross winds and rain, it actually felt good and kept me from getting hot.

As a result of catching and passing the one person and the fact that no one passed me, I actually moved up one place in the OA standings after T2. That has never happened to me.... ever. I've only ever maintained position or lost places. So, yay me! :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/178339128

Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind and the fact that this was supposed to be a triathlon, not a duathlon.

Last updated: 2014-08-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:59 | 10 kms | 04m 36s  min/km
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 17/30
Performance: Good
Course: Two laps of an out and back course.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:04:01 | 40 kms | 37.49 km/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 3/30
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out and back twice
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:33 | 05 kms | 04m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 10/30
Course: Out and back with a slight incline at the start and end.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-08-14 9:17 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: Duathlon by the Sea

2014-08-14 11:23 AM
in reply to: #5039355

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Duathlon by the Sea
Awesome work! Great race!

Shane
2014-08-14 12:23 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Great race, Arend! Way to keep your head down on the bike. Very cool to know that the dig on the run moved you up a place too, remembering that will make it juuuust a little bit easier the next time around. But it will still hurt.

I know you would have lots rather had the swim and would have placed even better, but this one sounds like one for the record books and will be very, very memorable for a long time to come.

2014-08-14 6:45 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Congratulations Arend!
That was a terrific race. I loved reading how you adjusted to the duothon and dealt with wind that was far worse than you ever had experienced.
Nice job. You are an amazing athlete. That is just great power up a big hill with swirling winds. My kids would definitely use the word 'sketchy', so I know you are a young-un.

Still hoping to meet up one day and do a 'carbo load'...before a race...
2014-08-14 8:38 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Nicely done Arend - said it before, but I envy those power numbers you're putting out now.  And now you're moving up on the run - watch out!!

2014-08-15 8:35 AM

User image

Pro
NJ
Congrats on a great race and adjusting mentally and physically to the day's challenges. For some reason ocean wind always seems exponentially worse than inland stuff.

2014-08-15 10:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Really sucks to not get to swim, especially when you're as great a swimmer as you are....but your running has come soooooooooooo far!  Some pretty amazing splits there -- keep it up (you're gonna kill it when the swim leg doesn't get replaced by a ridiculously long run!!). 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duathlon by the Sea Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rye By the Sea Duathlon

Started by ArielLIlB
Views: 1758 Posts: 6

2013-06-12 8:15 PM QueenZipp

Rye By the Sea Duathlon

Started by ArielLIlB
Views: 1250 Posts: 7

2012-06-04 8:50 PM cdban66

Rye By The Sea Duathlon

Started by peregrinesgirl
Views: 729 Posts: 1

2011-06-04 2:41 PM peregrinesgirl

National Capital Duathlon - International Duathlon

Started by 42at44
Views: 921 Posts: 1

2007-08-04 9:39 PM 42at44

Bridge City Duathlon (Duathlon - Sprint)

Started by stbrrn
Views: 1077 Posts: 5

2007-05-01 7:27 PM Artemis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.