United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Precipitation
Total Time = 13h 56m 14s
Overall Rank = 1431/
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 253/
Pre-race routine:

Had a Pop Tart, and some water. Got to the transition and was there at 4:30 when it opened. It had rained so it was good that I put my shoes in plastic bags so that my feet were dry while I was in the changing tent because as soon as I stepped outside of the tent they were soaked.
Event warmup:

Didn't do much, jumped into the water for a quick warm up and then placed myself in the 1:10 to 1:20 swim start.
Swim
  • 1h 15m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first rolling start. I figured I would place myself right where I thought I would be and I did finish where I thought I would be. Though I think I would have seeded myself faster or even slower. It was tough swimming next to everybody when they all swam the same speed. It would have been easier for me to maneuver if people were swimming at different speeds.
What would you do differently?:

Just place myself maybe a little faster.
Transition 1
  • 09m
Comments:

not sure how to score this because they modified everybody's time because of the thunder and lightening. So they only counted one loop of the swim and they cut out T1. I know what my times were based on the timing company so I put in the whole times since I was able to complete everything without getting pulled

go faster. I didn't think I stayed in there for 9 minutes but I'll have to work on that
Bike
  • 7h 13m 3s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.52 mile/hr
Comments:

There was this monsoon on the first lap so I went really easy on it. I thought I picked up the pace on the second loop to make up the difference but I barely went faster. I was just trying to make sure I went easy so that I wouldn't blow up on the run. I think I went too easy. I could have went harder but just dialed it back.

I would have pushed it harder. Since it seems like I'm destined to walk a bunch of the marathons that I do when I do an Ironman I might as well go hard on the bike
Transition 2
  • 06m 6s
Comments:

I was just thinking keep moving don't stop. I was able to get things off and on with no problems.

Go faster, since it's free speed. I think maybe I would change my socks since I was biking in downpour for most of it. I was able to take 2 minutes off from last time so I'm not complaining
Run
  • 5h 12m 26s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Knowing that I went slower on the bike this time around, I had thoughts already in my head that there was no way I could beat my time. It's funny when I think about it now, but I laugh at how hard it is to do math while doing a race. I thought I was computing some complex stuff but I was only trying to subtract two digit numbers. not really knowing how I did in transition times I felt like even if I did the pace I calculated it would be close. The run started out pretty good I was at a good pace and I had my garmin set up so I could see the virtual pacer so I knew how much time I was making on my pace. Things were going well till about mile 5 where I started to have GI issues. Once again I have managed to run across something that I have never had in training. Looking back on it I think that it was the 2 bananas that I ate at the 2nd and 3 aid stations. I'll have to remember to stick to my nutrition plan no matter how I feel. After the GI issue the next 2 miles was all walk. I started to take in just coke at every aid station and that seemed to give me what I need to be able to keep running. I ended up doing a run/walk for the rest of the course. I could see that the lead I made on my virtual pacer was gone at around the 14 mile mark. I still didn't know if that was my hard number or not. So I just keep trying to catch up to the virtual pacer and not leave too much of a gap. It started out that I was 1 minute behind then it was 2, it slowly kept creeping up, but I was able to run more often then not towards the end still relying only coke.

I'm not sure what I would do differently. Like a lot of people I ended up with some kind of complications on the run. I think I really just need to do some more longer distance running in the off season. I have still yet to try a stand alone marathon. Maybe I'll focus on that. Or maybe I'll go the other way since I know I'm going to have some kind of issue on the run, I'll just go harder on the bike knowing I'm going to run into some kind of problem on the marathon. I was still happy over all with the run because I was able to shave 10 minutes off from 2012.
Post race
Warm down:

I was able to enjoy the finish more this time even though Mike Rielly didn't call out my name because he must have taken a break and the other guy filled in for him. I went to get my shirt and hat along with get my picture taken. Saw the wife and picked up my gear and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

go faster on the bike without causing any problems for the run

Last updated: 2013-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:15:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 164/
Overall: 951/
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex
Course: it was a rolling start going clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 09:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
07:13:03 | 112 miles | 15.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 273/
Overall: 1534/
Wind: Little
Course: It's LP what can you say. There's a bunch of climbing
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
05:12:26 | 26.2 miles | 11m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 253/
Overall: 1431/
Course: it's LP it had some hills wasn't really too flat
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-08-14 2:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Ironman Lake Placid

2014-08-14 5:15 PM
in reply to: #5039543

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid
Jason!
I'm so very happy for you. I followed this a bit, but it was a busy weekend and I had to keep running in and checking on the computer. Sometimes, like when I'm on call and in the hospital all day, I'll check on every floor I'm on...

YOU DID GREAT!!!

So many challenges for this particuliar race and you handled them so well. Race day is always going to throw some curveballs and you dealt with them very nicely.

I think I'd find it weird doing a start like you did. I witnessed the 'mass start' of 2012 and said it was the very worst, but poor self seeding seems to lead to a lot of challenges too. You are very solid in the swim. Training time should be focused on B/R for future PR's.

Rain will always make me skittish on a bike that travels 40mph. I plan to live a long life and that is a recipe for danger. I'm just not talented enough to take my life in my own hands...

So many people have issues with the M of IM that I'm now convinced that overall mileage can help so many people overcome it. A 10 minute PR from IMLP is fabulous, but you've got more talent than you give yourself credit for. Lots of easy miles may be the recipe for you to better your run by 3/4HR, if you do choose to do IM again.

And you've just got to figure out nutrition-period. It's the fourth discipline.

I swore the IM off, but the itch is still there. Maybe I'll to IMLP again, maybe. But I so thrilled for you on a very difficult day. I smiled a lot as I watched it happen.

Congratulations!
Rest, recover and revel in celebration of the achievement.
2014-08-14 7:21 PM
in reply to: #5039543

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid
"It's funny when I think about it now, but I laugh at how hard it is to do math while doing a race."

Great observation, lol. Sounds like a tough day out there on the course, good job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Lake Placid Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by ckunst
Views: 3165 Posts: 4

2011-08-01 7:36 PM jillian_o

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by cornerofdivision
Views: 3559 Posts: 7

2011-08-01 8:58 AM igorkiev

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by krissster
Views: 2429 Posts: 1

2011-07-28 8:25 PM krissster

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by glazebal
Views: 3995 Posts: 8

2011-08-17 10:25 AM timebaron

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by aj_breitwieser
Views: 2843 Posts: 1

2008-06-20 11:10 AM aj_breitwieser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.