General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training after Stroke Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-15 5:05 AM

Subject: Training after Stroke
I am looking for anyone with real life experience.

In January of this year I suffered a major stroke. The cause was found to be a PFO (or hole in the heart) which was repaired.

Since, I have continued my training towards my goals, The 2014 TCS NYC Marathon and IM Louisville.

My issue is stamina....or lack of. I am having trouble on my runs with keeping pace. I have slowed down by about 1 min/mile and that is a struggle.

I have been experimenting with different fueling methods and nutrition with small success.

Anyone out there with any advice or words of encouragement?? I'm ready to toss in the towel here.

2014-08-15 7:15 AM
in reply to: albella

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Training after Stroke
Assuming you've got the go-ahead from medical pros, my opinion is go slow and have patience. I'm going thru similar where I had medical issues with numerous complications last year and just got the point I can run a continuous mile last week. I was given clearance to start with 10 minutes on the bike in January. Just keep on pushing, it'll come eventually.
2014-12-20 4:59 AM
in reply to: scottinPA

OK, Update time.

Almost 11 months since my stroke I have finished the NYC Marathon and my training finally started going well. June - September were LOUSY!

I have run into yet another obstacle.

I thought I caught the Flu and after a ton of nagging from my wife I went to see the Doc. After feeling very tired and run down that morning I "passed out" in the doctors office. Thinking I was just dehydrated they called an ambulance to cart my sorry behind to the hospital. During the ride it happened again, This time I had monitors hooked to me. Turns out, I was not just "passing out" but my heart stopped. Just for good luck it happened again shortly after I got to the ER.

So, I now have a pacemaker installed and I feel pretty good. Doctors are still searching for the cause. They are all saying that my heart is actually in great shape! The Stroke was caused by a birth defect in my heart (PFO) which was repaired and now this which has been repaired.

Now what? Should I carry on as a Triathlete? The Doctors say I will be able to carry on with my life as usual once I have healed up. My family wants me to hang it up. I have a goal set for the Louisville IM and am registered.
2014-12-20 10:17 AM
in reply to: albella

User image

I would carry on as much as is safe. Will you live longer and be happier if you continue to tri? Almost definitely. You might have to change your mindset, and realize that every training session, and every race is a victory even if your pace is minutes behind what you want. Your goal for the IM might change from a sub 12 (just a guess on your goal) to being OK with DFL

Listen to your Dr's become very good friends with them, and live your life.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training after Stroke Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Breast Stroke VS. Freestyle

Started by TeamSMP
Views: 6364 Posts: 9

2010-02-09 8:42 AM ionlylooklazy

Over extending Freestyle stroke

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 808 Posts: 5

2005-08-10 3:16 PM BellinghamSpence

headache & nausea after swim training - reasons ?

Started by fatrap
Views: 5906 Posts: 6

2005-01-19 3:16 AM fatrap

Training with broken wrist

Started by Ozmokis
Views: 1081 Posts: 2

2005-01-10 6:59 AM sue7013

Training with an ankle sprain/ chipped bone :(

Started by jdlake
Views: 924 Posts: 2

2004-12-21 12:15 AM gr8brindle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
How important is it to decrease your stroke count?

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re continuing intervals. The focus will be on speeding up while maintaining good stroke technique, lots of stroke counting this time.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.
date : November 19, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm wondering if anyone else has had luck with moving to a five-stroke breathing pattern. Is this okay for endurance swimming? What are its benefits and drawbacks?

date : April 9, 2007
author : Total Immersion
How familiar are you with the details of your stroke? Do you have ways, in the middle of a training set, perhaps while trying to keep up in a lane-circle, to keep your awareness acute?
date : July 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.

date : March 5, 2006
author : ChiRunning
The three disciplines of triathlon are steeped in rhythm. Think of watching a well-trained swimmer, gliding smoothly down the lane, arms moving like clockwork, breathing every third stoke.