Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Switch iPhone to Galaxy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-08-15 10:22 AM

User image

Subject: Switch iPhone to Galaxy?

iPhone 4S, cracked screen + upgrade = new phone.   People seem to like the Samsung Galaxy, it looks a little big.  Haven't gone to the store to hold it though.   Had a droid for a while, I am not much of a customizer so the android system didn't really do much for me.   Any good reasons to switch/not switch?

2014-08-15 10:30 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Switch iPhone to Galaxy?
My answer to this question is usually; "Do you want it to work each and every time you put your phone to a task?" Same thing goes for computers and tablets. Alt+ctrl+del is something I only have to contend with at work now that i have Macs at home! Can you hold out for a month and get the iphone6?
2014-08-15 11:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by ChrisM

iPhone 4S, cracked screen + upgrade = new phone.   People seem to like the Samsung Galaxy, it looks a little big.  Haven't gone to the store to hold it though.   Had a droid for a while, I am not much of a customizer so the android system didn't really do much for me.   Any good reasons to switch/not switch?

I went from an iPhone4 to the S4 Active and have not regretted the switch.  The phone is crazy durable compared to the iPhones, which was the main reason I went with it.  I also thought the phone was a bit big at first, but it's grown on me to where I prefer it.

Both Samsung and Apple make great phones, so you really can't go wrong here.

Edited by msteiner 2014-08-15 11:07 AM
2014-08-15 1:51 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Both the hubby and I went from iPhone 4S to the Galaxy S5 and I don't regret it at all.  Yes the phone is bigger than the current iPhone, but from the reports I've read, the iPhone 6 will be the same size.  I don't notice that it's that much bigger, and I don't screw up typing nearly as much.  

It also just works... every time, which is more than I can say for my iPhone.  

2014-08-15 5:03 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I was considering a switch as well as the iPhone 5s did not impress me much, thought it might be time for something new. Going to wait for the iPhone 6, see if that is a big enough upgrade to justify ditching the 4s.

Everything I read says the build quality of the Samsungs is not as good. Might check out the HTC 1 M8, build quality is supposedly on par with Apple.

2014-08-15 5:07 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Thanks all.  If i recover from the weekend training will head to the store to hold them

2014-08-15 5:50 PM

User image

I got my S3 almost 2 years ago.  Before that, I had a pretty small phone and it took some getting used to a phone that was nearly twice the size.  Now I don't even notice it.  It will feel big at first no doubt, but as long as it fits where you need it to fit (pants pocket, jersey pocket, etc) I don't think size is an issue.  When my contract is up in November, I am considering the Galaxy Note 4, the larger version of the Iphone6, and if all else fails, I'll likely get the S5.  My guess is that there will be a deeper discount on the S5 during the holiday season because of the Note 4 and Iphone 6 release.  S6 is not slated till later in 2015.

2014-08-15 9:43 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

I have an S5.....my wife and kids all have iphone5C's......I wouldn't trade my phone for all 4 of their iphones.  As a total unit.....phone, computer, camera, etc the S5 beats the hell out of the iphone IMO.  In fact, if I had to use an iphone to actually make phone calls I'd rather use two tin cans and a string.

2014-08-16 8:27 AM
in reply to: #5039823

User image

Elite
I just got a GS5. I came from HTC incredible. I've always put extended batteries in all my phones. The s5 has just a tad less battery than my extendeds. The extended for the s5 is double the battery. I'll see if I will get it. But I Crack up watching iPhone users plugged in all day.

And I put my phone in my pocket. The s5 is about as big as it can be. But every time I look at my old phone... Ya, I would never go back. And yes, it's another reason I would not get an iPhone. I have lots more. Once you get it, you'll love it.
2014-08-16 7:09 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Just came back from the store...   Didn't look at the S4 prices, but the S5 is a $200 upgrade.   Whatever happened to the days of free phones and just getting screwed on the contract??      I know, $200 isn't all that bad for the computing power I suppose, but still, it's a couple race entries.  

2014-08-17 5:22 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

As others have said, the switch from I phone to Galaxy was relatively painless.  Some stuff is better than iPhone, some worse.

2014-08-17 6:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
My wife and kids all have the I phone 4 and each have complaints. I have had droids and recently picked up the galaxy 4 and love it.Screen definitely is big but you get used to it. Plus, and this is the main reason I went with a droid is the Swype text feature. Much faster then regular texting.I'm very happy with this phone.
2014-08-17 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I love my Note 3 (it's even larger than the S5, but I like it for video). Definitely cheaper maintenance... you can get extra batteries, chargers, cases, etc on Amazon on the cheap. You also get to break out of the Apple sphere, which to me is the greater of the two evils.
2014-08-17 1:31 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Elite

Originally posted by TriMike My wife and kids all have the I phone 4 and each have complaints. I have had droids and recently picked up the galaxy 4 and love it.Screen definitely is big but you get used to it. Plus, and this is the main reason I went with a droid is the Swype text feature. Much faster then regular texting.I'm very happy with this phone.

I never got used to that. You can't see the letters as you swype so it was hard for me to get good at it. Sounds good in theory, but in practice it didn't work for me.

2014-08-17 1:34 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by ChrisM

Just came back from the store...   Didn't look at the S4 prices, but the S5 is a $200 upgrade.   Whatever happened to the days of free phones and just getting screwed on the contract??      I know, $200 isn't all that bad for the computing power I suppose, but still, it's a couple race entries.  

It's going to be different for carriers, but I'm verizon. My contract was up in November, but we were eligible for upgrade... went with with the Edge program though. I do not need the latest greatest as soon as it comes out... but with some perks the increase in price was minimal. Walked out with two new phones.

Free phones are not free... you do a contract to subsidize cost. The phone is still a few hundred. Any phone I got for $150-$200 with 2 year contract was still a $600-$700 phone.

2014-08-17 1:42 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by powerman

Originally posted by TriMike My wife and kids all have the I phone 4 and each have complaints. I have had droids and recently picked up the galaxy 4 and love it.Screen definitely is big but you get used to it. Plus, and this is the main reason I went with a droid is the Swype text feature. Much faster then regular texting.I'm very happy with this phone.

I never got used to that. You can't see the letters as you swype so it was hard for me to get good at it. Sounds good in theory, but in practice it didn't work for me.

Agreed...however an unexpected layover gave me time to kill and within a short amount of time I was hooked...it's really just becoming comfortable...it's a combination between watching the line connect the letters to form the word and the words auto-populating...You can also build/add your own words in regards to slang etc..

2014-08-17 8:55 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
I switched from android phone and tablet to ipad and iphone and will probably never go back. Reasons include IOS just works all the time and there are many more fitness apps on Iphone. I also love the BTLE capability and use it with a wahoo hr strap and speed and cadence sensor.
2014-08-18 6:44 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
it really depends on how much *you* want to be involved with your phone.

The iphone has a more stable build, basically it is the phone built for the everyman. (not saying that in a bad way at all.)
The Galaxy (or most any android) will allow you more control / customization, although it requires some work/want to unlock an android's potential.

For 99% of the public, the iPhone is still the better choice. (although the gap is closer than it ever has been) It's more stable overall for what most people would use it for.

Neither is a bad choice
2014-08-18 7:33 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

I had the iPhone 4 and went the Galaxy S5 because the iPhone 6 was going to be the same size.  I have had a LOT less issues with the Galaxy than the iPhone 4 and most of the people on the 5 that I have to help them with.

For those that say if you don't care about the CRTL ALT DEL all the time.  Never been an issue with my Samsung, and had to reboot the iPhone about every other day.  Not impressed at all.

2014-08-18 1:48 PM
in reply to: powerman

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-18 1:52 PM
in reply to: 99Puddles

Pro

Originally posted by 99Puddles

I have the Galaxy S4 and love it. Personally the iPhone is too stubborn for me plus I like that I was able to get the replacement plan through my carrier instead of having to go through Apple to get it. This is a classic debate with my friends. You either love the iPhone or you hate it. Galaxy is very user friendly.

If my wifes iphone came with a glove that popped out and punched her in the nose every time she hit the letter "a" she would still think it was the greatest thing ever.

2014-08-18 1:55 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

Veteran
Central Point
I have the S4 and I don't know if anybody has mentioned this or not but it has Ant+ built into the phone so it can connect to HRM, Cycle speed/cadence sensors etc. I just started using it as my cycle computer w/ map my ride.
2014-08-18 1:55 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by mdg2003 My answer to this question is usually; "Do you want it to work each and every time you put your phone to a task?" Same thing goes for computers and tablets. Alt+ctrl+del is something I only have to contend with at work now that i have Macs at home! Can you hold out for a month and get the iphone6?

Wow an Apple Fan Boy.  Yes, this was a good argument with windows 98 and even vista, but windows xp and windows 8 are far more reliable.  And making this comparison to a phone is just silly as Android is as stable as IOS and is more widely used worldwide by almost a 2:1 margin.

2014-08-18 5:52 PM
in reply to: 0

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by velocomp

Originally posted by mdg2003 My answer to this question is usually; "Do you want it to work each and every time you put your phone to a task?" Same thing goes for computers and tablets. Alt+ctrl+del is something I only have to contend with at work now that i have Macs at home! Can you hold out for a month and get the iphone6?

Wow an Apple Fan Boy.  Yes, this was a good argument with windows 98 and even vista, but windows xp and windows 8 are far more reliable.  And making this comparison to a phone is just silly as Android is as stable as IOS and is more widely used worldwide by almost a 2:1 margin.

Hah! You got me there! I'll try to avoid turning this into a Apple vs Windows/Android pizzing match because I really don't care if someone uses one or the other. I made my post based on personal experience and observations. I'm definitely biased to Apple products and operating systems because they work for me, every time. I've had one program hang on me, once! I had to do a Google search to find the OSX equivalent of the Windows saving alt+ctrl+del command. That was so long ago, I'll have to look it up again when it happens again.

I used to make fun of iTools/fanboys too. I get a lot of grief from co-workers about my Apple toy habit. What I find amusing, is them telling me their non-Apple electronics are superior to Apple in build and performance. I just chuckle under my breath every time I hear one of them cursing their phone or computer when it locks up on them. Updates that don't work, viruses and sluggish performance when you need to borrow some of that RAM from Windows. I don't have that problem anymore, they still do.

As far as windows 8 being more reliable than 98, I agree. I would also agree that XP was a much better than 98 and would go as far as to say it was more stable than 8. However, I don't follow the logic that a 2:1 ratio of Android to IOS users makes it a superior operating system, that just seems silly.

ETA-

Edited by mdg2003 2014-08-18 6:02 PM
2014-08-19 5:52 AM
in reply to: velocomp

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by velocomp

never use windows 8 to win an argument about windows being good
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Switch iPhone to Galaxy? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Samsung Galaxy tab 2 10.1 vs ipad 2 on tredmill

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1283 Posts: 7

2012-11-23 8:18 PM TriMyBest

Nexus Galaxy vs LG Spectrum

Started by wwlani
Views: 1226 Posts: 4

2012-01-23 10:14 AM otter68

No iPhone 5, Apple releases the iPhone 4S *Now on Sprint!*

Started by bradword
Views: 1946 Posts: 24

2011-10-06 6:49 PM thebigb

Galaxy 5 D.C. United 2 (My First MLS Game)

Started by johnu
Views: 864 Posts: 1

2008-09-22 1:26 PM johnu

Switching off

Started by JamieW
Views: 910 Posts: 5

2008-04-22 6:12 PM Aikidoman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2014
author : Enduropacks.com
comments : 4
I drink during my runs but I am a profuse sweater and it seems like I just can't keep up with my fluid needs. Would it be helpful to switch to an electrolyte drink for my fluid needs?

date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.
date : September 11, 2009
author : Total Immersion
comments : 1
In this third part, Terry Laughlin discusses how to achieve an optimal freestyle stroke and what drills go into developing a good stroke.