General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does the type of pedal matter? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-15 10:05 PM

User image

Utah
Subject: Does the type of pedal matter?
When I first got my bike 3 years ago, my Dad gave me mountain bike pedals he already had for my Trek road bike. I've used them with no issues, but I'm doing some bike adjustments (new fit, new aerobars, new saddle) and wondered if pedals make a difference. I've heard a lot about Speedplay ones and am curious, does they type of pedal really matter? Is it worth the upgrade for the pedal and the cleat for my bike shoes?

2014-08-15 10:24 PM
in reply to: #5040033

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Subject: RE: Does the type of pedal matter?
Until I get my next bike, I continue to use toe cages on my road bike. I don't have them tight enough to take advantage of the pull but I may play around with that this winter to see if I get any concrete gains in turnover.
2014-08-16 4:58 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I love my Speedplays, my wife hates them.  If you are happy with what you have, I doubt you will see much of a difference.  

Note that I've never used mountain bike pedals so I don't know what you are coming from...

2014-08-16 5:26 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Yes, it does matter. The pedal is the interface between you and the bike, and is where you apply all the force you can muster to generate forward momentum. Mountain bike pedals are specifically designed for function in dirty conditions and maximum clearance. This means that the interface is wide open and as small as possible. A road pedal on the other hand tries to maximize the pedal interface, spreading the load over a much larger area.

Don't be tricked by the small Speedplay pedal, the interface is attached to the shoe (the cleat), which gives you a large platform. Personally, I use only Speedplay on all my bikes (and so does my wife on all of her's).

To recap, road pedal gives you a larger platform, which results in comfort over longer distance (and interestingly, in hot conditions).
2014-08-16 6:37 AM

User image

Below about 50 miles, not really.

I started getting hot spots at around 50 miles. When I switched to Shimano pedals they went away never to be heard from again.

Speedplay, Shimano SPD-SL, Look, generally they're about a tossup and the float (amount of free play between the pedal and shoe) is all the difference and is a completely personal measure anyway
2014-08-16 7:00 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by DanielG Below about 50 miles, not really. I started getting hot spots at around 50 miles. When I switched to Shimano pedals they went away never to be heard from again. Speedplay, Shimano SPD-SL, Look, generally they're about a tossup and the float (amount of free play between the pedal and shoe) is all the difference and is a completely personal measure anyway

I had a similar experience, except I would start getting hot spots at about 20 miles.  Switched to Shimano Ultegra  SPD-SL pedals using the yellow cleats with 6 degrees of float.  No problems since. 

Mark

2014-08-16 7:55 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I switched to a set of MTB pedals (Shimano XT) on my bike this winter for shucks and grins. I have noticed a bit of a hot spot on rides >30 miles, so I plan to switch back to my Time iClics when I build up riding distance nearing my A-race Oly in Nov.
2014-08-17 6:13 AM

User image

If you are a weight weenie, road bike pedals and shoes weigh less. OTOH, if you haven't mastered the acrobatics of leaving your shoes clipped into the pedals when you dismount, mtb shoes are much easier to run in.

The type of pedal that you settle on depends on what you are looking for. Do you have a hard time clipping out? Then you need something with adjustable tension. Do you have knee problems? Then something like Speedplays with their adjustable float might be in order.
2014-08-17 8:19 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

There is another difference between Speedplays and other pedal systems.  Speedplays can allow up to about 15 degrees of float.  Float is how far your heel can rotate out away from the bike before unclipping.  Other systems such as mountain bike spd's and Looks do not allow as much float before unclipping.

If you have issues with your knees or muscle imbalances that affect the tracking of your hips, knees, and ankles, having the the appropriate amount of float can be important to avoid discomfort.

Here's a brief article with more information:  http://triathlon.competitor.com/2009/05/gear-tech/tech-qa-what-does-it-mean-for-a-pedal-to-have-float_19

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does the type of pedal matter? Rss Feed