General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Intensity on Long Rides Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-17 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: Intensity on Long Rides
Is it generally a good idea to not put much intensity during long rides? I wonder because I have been riding with a group lately for my long weekend ride and they like to ride some hills and sometimes crank up the speed. Should I avoid that sort of riding to reduce chances of injury?

2014-08-17 5:46 PM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

Madison
Subject: RE: Intensity on Long Rides
If you bike fit and knees are good it shouldn't be a problem at all. I think the run is responsible for more overuse type injuries.
2014-08-17 6:15 PM

User image

Good question, I was wondering the same thing today on my long ride ( lots of time to think ).
2014-08-18 5:26 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It depends how those group rides fit your training plan. If you are in a recovery week, then obviously the added intensity of major climbs and pace work would be the best. If you are outside of the recovery weeks, then there's lots of benefits to do exactly what this group is doing. It allows to you to go hard then recover in the group as the pace settles down. It'll make you faster.
2014-08-18 9:06 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Generally, you should put as much intensity into your rides that you can handle.  In the context of your question, I would guess that you should almost never avoid that sort of riding.

2014-08-18 9:24 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Read my signature.

2014-08-18 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
As to theoretical question of whether intensity on long rides helps, I have recently been adding structured intensity into my long rides and it's definitely been helping. For example, a 3 hour ride with 15x1 mile hard and 1 mile recoveries, the rest zone 2. Having said that, I also like to go out with the group once or twice per month. The benefit there is a little more random based on who shows up, the route, pace, etc. I can't say as definitively that it helps my fitness (as compared to a solo ride) but it certainly doesn't hurt. And it does help mentally to be sure. Of course the caveat to all this is how the long ride fits into the overall plan.
2014-08-18 2:17 PM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Ok. So what I'm hearing is that generally speaking it's not bad as long as it fits into my own personal training plan and it doesn't leave me fatigued for what's coming up next in my plan. Also, that I shouldn't do those long/intense rides if I'm feeling some issue with my knees (and I would suppose that would include lower body muscle/joints).
2014-08-18 2:34 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
II don't know what the standard agreements are for group riding, but I would think it would be clear "we will go N miles at Y MPH, and then N miles at something a bit less, and then repeat?

I would agree group rides might make you faster, so long as you can ride with people who are interested in your distance, and it probably helps if they are just a bit faster than you an this particular time
2014-08-19 10:57 AM
in reply to: JohnP_NY

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by JohnP_NY

II don't know what the standard agreements are for group riding, but I would think it would be clear "we will go N miles at Y MPH, and then N miles at something a bit less, and then repeat?

I would agree group rides might make you faster, so long as you can ride with people who are interested in your distance, and it probably helps if they are just a bit faster than you an this particular time

never been on a group ride, huh?

In theory what you write is good but there is a saying...with two people it's a ride, with three it's a race. That's why I don't like group rides as much..i.'m not a hammerer and I like to be specific in my intervals.
2014-08-19 11:06 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by AdventureBear

That's why I don't like group rides as much..i.'m not a hammerer and I like to be specific in my intervals.

Which would be a good reason, all by itself, to consider trying more group riding situations. 

2014-08-19 11:14 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

That's why I don't like group rides as much..i.'m not a hammerer and I like to be specific in my intervals.

Which would be a good reason, all by itself, to consider trying more group riding situations. 

I'm not very coachable either.
2014-08-19 11:23 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

I'm not very coachable either.

Same here. On multiple things just said.

I actually improved more staying outside of groups as I could control things better, targeting what I needed. I've been spent & beat up by riding with the groups, but have been able to work more effectively on my own. And will readily admit I'm more the exception here as most people would benefit by getting into groups and pushing to stay with them.

2014-08-19 1:26 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W

Originally posted by JohnP_NY

never been on a group ride, huh?

In theory what you write is good but there is a saying...with two people it's a ride, with three it's a race. That's why I don't like group rides as much..i.'m not a hammerer and I like to be specific in my intervals.

I've actually done a few pre-planned goup rides, but nothing more than about 20 miles. I found it helpful but logistically impossible to schedule on a go-forward basis. But I have tagged along with riders on some of the more popular roads out by me. Or sometimes a rider or two would ask to tag along or ride my draft. That works for me too. So we push each other and we are basically doing what amounts to some interval work. But there is no pressure to do someone else's full training plan. This was the cae this past weekend - 4 of us got togethe and really had a blast on a 10 miles stretch. We were all huffing and puffing, but smiles all around.
2014-08-19 2:10 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by ecpasos Ok. So what I'm hearing is that generally speaking it's not bad as long as it fits into my own personal training plan and it doesn't leave me fatigued for what's coming up next in my plan. Also, that I shouldn't do those long/intense rides if I'm feeling some issue with my knees (and I would suppose that would include lower body muscle/joints).

I would say that being fatigued the day after a workout could be a part of your plan - you just need to plan accordingly for the next day(s), just like after a race.

2014-08-19 2:22 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by ecpasos Ok. So what I'm hearing is that generally speaking it's not bad as long as it fits into my own personal training plan and it doesn't leave me fatigued for what's coming up next in my plan. Also, that I shouldn't do those long/intense rides if I'm feeling some issue with my knees (and I would suppose that would include lower body muscle/joints).

I would say that being fatigued the day after a workout could be a part of your plan - you just need to plan accordingly for the next day(s), just like after a race.

sounds like the perfect time for a Z1 run and swim workout. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Intensity on Long Rides Rss Feed