United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 59s
Overall Rank = 66/201
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/16
Pre-race routine:

Stayed up late working, went to bed at 12:45 AM, woke up at 6 AM. Ate a slice of bread and an egg for breakfast. Parked in Mukilteo, rode the 7:30 AM ferry to Clinton, biked 4.5 miles to South Whidbey High School, stopping for a triple shot latte and scone along the way. Checked in, set up T2, then biked 6.8 miles to Goss Lake. Set up T1, got in my wetsuit, and walked to the lake just as the pre-race meeting started.
Event warmup:

Despite giving myself 2 hours to bike from the ferry and set up both transition areas I ran out of time and skipped my swim warmup. The 11 miles of biking before the race was too much. I biked too hard just to make it on time. Foolish. It seemed like a good idea at the time......
Swim
  • 17m 5s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a deep water start about 50' off shore in warm water. I had five minutes to tread water and get my breathing under control. The starting area was quite wide so we had lots of space. Started in the middle of the pack and swam OK. My legs were lead from the bike but I had a good rhythm going. Relaxed and swam. No problems sighting or staying on course. The field really stretched out and there was very little traffic at the 2 bouy's (wave included all males under 39). This is the straightest I ever swam in a race. Things were looking good until I was 200m from shore and suddenly got multiple leg cramps. Quads and hammys got very tight. Uh oh. I had to float for a bit, really focus on relaxing, and swam it in. My neck got tight towards the end, probably because I wasn't rolling enough. Disappointed with my time as I expected to be under 15 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Skip the bike before the race! I suspect the combination of biking 11 miles over rolling hills + full wetsuit + warm water + only 5 hours sleep led to my cramps.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

My leg cramps continued into T1 so I moved slow. Due to limited space and separate T1/T2 areas we had all our things in plastic bags, so we all lost time unpacking our helmets & shoes, and packing our wetsuits.

Not have cramps
Bike
  • 1h 04m 51s
  • 19.5 miles
  • 18.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Started slow to see what would happen with my leg cramps. Made myself ride easy for the first 10 minutes, which seemed to do the trick, so I increased effort to comfortably hard. This proved to be too much as my cramps came back on the steeper climbs. I recovered on the descents and did a good job staying aero. I tried to enjoy the ride and suppress my instinct to go hard. At no time did I ever feel like I was making good power. I am surprised by the 18mph avg speed. It felt slower. I crawled up the later climbs because my legs would cramp if I stood. My lower back got tight towards the end, probably from poor form due to all those cramps. I took the last 5 minutes easy hoping for a miracle.

Not have cramps. My overall effort level was low and my breathing was easy. I was entirely limited by my uncooperative legs.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Walked my bike. Legs were tight but not painful. The transition area was damp and grassy, and I forgot to bring a towel, so changing shoes was an adventure. Laced up my shoes, grabbed my almond snickers bar, and headed out.

Run through transition, get elastic laces for my shoes, remove my biking shoes while on the bike, attach my snickers bar to my fuel belt w/ bib, eat something better than a snickers bar.
Run
  • 33m 1s
  • 3.8 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I usually get calf cramps at the beginning of my run and was shocked that my legs felt OK. I settled into a comfortable 8:30min/mile pace and was feeling pretty good, until a hill snuck up on me half a mile into the run. I went up too fast and suddenly all my cramps came back with a vengeance. Wow. This was my sixth triathlon and it's by far the worst I have ever felt on the run. I hobbled along to the water station at mile 1, walked through, drank a cup of water and poured the other cup on my quads. Started jogging at 12min/mile. The cramps got even worse. I couldn't stop to walk because my quads would completely lock up. I couldn't squat to stretch them because my hamstrings would lock. Frustrated I continued to run in a half crouch. This felt better than walking. I slowly felt better and better. By the 3 mile mark I was running 7:30min/mile and making back time. Kicked it up to 6:30min/mile at the end, was feeling awesome, then boom, cramps in the finish chute. Hobbled across the timing pad with people yelling "Under 2 hours, go for it!" Made it under 2h by less than a second :-)

Have a good swim and bike so I can run comfortably.
Post race
Warm down:

Managed to stay standing. Stretched my legs. Ate some fruit and a cookie. Drank water and an iced latte (awesome, thank you Whidbey Island Coffee). The atmosphere was really good. Lots of smiles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep + too much biking before the race = crampathon

Event comments:

I will definitely do this race again. The scenery and course are great. Now that I've wrapped my brain around the logistics of a ferry ride and separate T1/T2 I will rock this next year.

Last updated: 2014-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:05 | 880 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 77/201
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro Full
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:50
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:04:51 | 19.5 miles | 18.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 55/201
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:01 | 03.8 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/16
Overall: 101/201
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-08-17 4:58 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Subject: Whidbey Island Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whidbey Island Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Race the Rock, Whidbey Island Triathlon

Started by holleyks
Views: 1511 Posts: 1

2009-08-01 6:36 PM holleyks

Started by rbtorgesen
Views: 980 Posts: 1

2008-08-03 10:38 PM rbtorgesen

Started by holleyks
Views: 1090 Posts: 1

2008-08-03 3:13 PM holleyks

Started by itritoo
Views: 1793 Posts: 2

2008-08-03 11:19 AM BellinghamSpence

Started by windman
Views: 970 Posts: 1

2007-08-06 6:37 PM windman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.