General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg Cramps IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-17 8:49 PM

Subject: Leg Cramps IM
I have struggled with leg cramps for years and I'm considering doing an IM next year. I have completed 8 marathons, 1 HIM, and many other Olympic distance races and have cramped in every race. I have done a lot of research and have tried many different ideas such as different training approaches, race approaches, custom drink mixes, salt tablets, etc with mixed results.

I like to think that if I follow a good conditioning plan now, a good training plan 20 weeks out, and a good electrolyte replacement/nutrition plan in training and during the race I can make it happen. My main concern is that if it starts early I will not be able to complete the race.

Any advice from those with similar history ? Thanks.

2014-08-31 6:51 PM
in reply to: Txflmike

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Leg Cramps IM
I would do lots of leg stretching, strength training during your IM training. You may need more potassium during the race (banana here and there is your best bet). It is the calves cramping or some other muscle group?
2014-08-31 7:01 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

I researched this as I was getting calf cramps on the bike. Mostly on the long ones or on my easy active recovery rides after 2+ hours of running. The main consensus is that no know knows for sure why we cramp. The believed theory is an electrolyte imbalance but there hasn't been must evidence to support this. The next two culprits are: dehydration and tired muscles. What I did was started to take a calcium and zinc pill everyday to rule that out but it didn't help much. I still take them though since they can't hurt, more so with me giving up milk this year. I then went to the gym once a week to do calf exercises and I haven't had any issues yet. Training is hard on the body and your muscles get destroyed. Build they up a little more and they should take less damage or at least they'll be more left intact to do the work. The weeks I skip the gym, the cramps come back or my legs get that feeling that at any moment they will cramp up. Mine only gets to me on the bike though.

Do you life weights at all? Do you eat semi-well? I try to eat 1-2 bananas/day now too. Makes good post workout snack.
2014-08-31 9:35 PM

Do you cramp training?

If so, when? Which muscles cramp? Hamstrings? Quads? Calves?

And if you cramp when racing, what muscles, and when in the race?

My last IM and marathon it was my hamstrings. I had issues with my quads in a HIM during the spring.

For me its just an intensity/fatigue thing. I rode harder than usual on the HIM, and as soon as I started running, my quads were cramping.

The hamstrings is also a fatigue thing. I know balance wise my hamstrings are not as strong as they should be.

Also, the fact that you cramp during Olympics leads me to believe that its a muscular fatigue issue. Its hard to get behind on hydration/salt in an Olympic unless its really really hot or you are just ignoring taking in anything.

My two suggestions would be to make sure you are pacing properly, and also if you have a weakness in a particular muscle group perhaps add in some strength training. As far as hydration/electrolyte balance, you should be able to work that out in training.
2014-09-01 7:41 PM
in reply to: #5040424

Thanks to each of you for responding. The cramping usually starts in the hamstrings and then works it's way to the quads. I live in Florida and do mainly warm races and loose a lot of sweat (for example, 6 lbs of sweat loss on a 75 min run on Sat morning). I do not do weight training but will probably incorporate once per week along with more stretching into my plan. I have been working on overall conditioning and working within the right rpe/heart rate. The race isn't until next May so I have a little time to experiment. Thanks again.
2014-09-02 2:31 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Txflmike

Thanks to each of you for responding. The cramping usually starts in the hamstrings and then works it's way to the quads. I live in Florida and do mainly warm races and loose a lot of sweat (for example, 6 lbs of sweat loss on a 75 min run on Sat morning). I do not do weight training but will probably incorporate once per week along with more stretching into my plan. I have been working on overall conditioning and working within the right rpe/heart rate. The race isn't until next May so I have a little time to experiment. Thanks again.

Looks like your talking about IMTX'15 i have no idea what causes cramps but i was a bike aid this year at mile 80. One thing i noticed we ran out of bananas fast

2014-09-02 8:13 PM
in reply to: #5045797

That's the target. I'll be working on balancing out the salt caps and Perform and maintaining a steady pace. Just committed to it on Friday.
2014-09-05 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm a chronic cramper. I can cramp even on a 1 mile EZ run. It starts in my calves. I can even cramp in my arms. I am plagued by high cholesterol thanks to my parents. I eat right and exercise; however, nothing will drop those numbers. So, I have to take statin. I've tried them all. So one year I took off from taking the med. After about 2 months, I was able to run without cramping. But my numbers were terrible and in the very high risk red zone. So, I got back on the med. Cramping came back. After research and talking with the doc, I'm now on a coenzyme q10 supplement. Cramping has been reduced. Still sucks though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg Cramps IM Rss Feed