General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving from Walmart bike to a tri bike. Speed gain? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-18 12:01 PM

Subject: Moving from Walmart bike to a tri bike. Speed gain?
Currently I have a stock Wal-Mart Schwinn Varsity 1300 that I have used during a triathlon and now I am looking to upgrade to a tri bike. The Schwinn is to big for me (I am 5' 5" and the bike is about a 58cm) and I am never really comfortable on it. I know I am losing power due to the poor fit and that it has toe clip pedals and I use running shoes. I am wondering how much of a speed gain I can expect going to a low-end tri bike with clipless pedals. I currently average between 18.5 and 19 mph on my rides. I am hoping to gain between 2-3 mph when I upgrade. Btw, I will be getting a professional bike fitting when I purchase the bike.

2014-08-18 12:34 PM
in reply to: L0ST0NE

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Moving from Walmart bike to a tri bike. Speed gain?
some.
some from having a properly fitting bike (hopefully)
some from having a more aero frame.
some from being in a more aero position.
some from clipless pedals

how much faster?
Let us know.
2014-08-20 7:30 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

I was hoping to see if I was in the ball park as far as my estimated speed gain would be.
2014-08-20 7:52 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
nobody is going to be able to tell you that. Especially without seeing how well/bad your position currently is, how efficient you are in that position, how good your next position is going to be, etc.

Expect to be faster with the stuff you mentioned, but setting numbers to it is a recipe for disappointment.
2014-08-20 11:33 AM

User image

Just from a newbie's standpoint. it sounds like to me there will be some adjustment period to be made from going from a road bike to a tri bike and also to clipless pedals. you may not be faster initially?
2014-08-21 5:49 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

nobody is going to be able to tell you that. Especially without seeing how well/bad your position currently is, how efficient you are in that position, how good your next position is going to be, etc.

Expect to be faster with the stuff you mentioned, but setting numbers to it is a recipe for disappointment.

X2! Eventually faster, but quite possibly slower in the very beginning as you are getting comfortable in the new (and very different) position.

2014-08-21 1:11 PM
in reply to: audiojan

I was looking to find out my estimate of speed gain is in the ball park or not. I understand that there will be an adjustment time getting used to the new bike. I am not looking for an exact number, i.e. will I get a 2.37 mph speed increase when I move to my new bike. I am just trying to get an estimate of what I can expect as far as a speed increase. I was hoping this forum with it's user having years of experience would have some idea, but I get generic answers that come across as if they are scared of being held accountable or getting sued if the speed gain is not what they suggested. I am not a big fan answers that only say "maybe", "some" or "we don't know". I am really trying to hold myself back while typing this since this thread has really soured me on this site and I am almost regretting even signing up. I am just starting out in the whole triathlon game and have completed my first one, but I am competitive and want to improve my time. I hope the people with the high post counts don't just vaguely answer questions to get a higher count just to make themselves look more important or that this forum is full of triathlon snobs that just look down on all new triathletes entering the sport.

I know you some of you guys are just going to flame me, but that shows more about your character then it does mine so fire away.
2014-08-21 3:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by L0ST0NE I was looking to find out my estimate of speed gain is in the ball park or not. I understand that there will be an adjustment time getting used to the new bike. I am not looking for an exact number, i.e. will I get a 2.37 mph speed increase when I move to my new bike. I am just trying to get an estimate of what I can expect as far as a speed increase. I was hoping this forum with it's user having years of experience would have some idea, but I get generic answers that come across as if they are scared of being held accountable or getting sued if the speed gain is not what they suggested. I am not a big fan answers that only say "maybe", "some" or "we don't know". I am really trying to hold myself back while typing this since this thread has really soured me on this site and I am almost regretting even signing up. I am just starting out in the whole triathlon game and have completed my first one, but I am competitive and want to improve my time. I hope the people with the high post counts don't just vaguely answer questions to get a higher count just to make themselves look more important or that this forum is full of triathlon snobs that just look down on all new triathletes entering the sport. I know you some of you guys are just going to flame me, but that shows more about your character then it does mine so fire away.

The folks here are just trying to be open and honest with you.  They wouldn't waste their time responding otherwise.  The fact is, whether you like it or not, there is no precise answer to your question.

The 'generic' answer you'll see most often is 1-2 mph gain with a new bike, but that's really not based on anything. It just sounds 'reasonable' so people accept it.  It's also the answer you'll see most often for the benefit of adding new pedals, aero wheels, an aero helmet, carbon fiber bottle cages, etc. 

I did find it impressive that you can average 19mph now on a mis-fit, inexpensive big-box bike.  Kudos for that.  So theoretically you should be faster on a new bike with a good fit.  You're not really going to know how much faster until you get it out on the road. 

You also need to know that this is without a doubt the most accepting, supportive and friendly tri site on the web.  I've been here ten years and that has always been the culture. 

Coming onboard and throwing rocks at folks isn't the way to endear yourself to anyone.  Maybe a little bit of humility and less attitude might help in the future.  Just saying'.  There are lots of good folks here.  I hope you take the time to get to know them.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2014-08-21 3:45 PM
2014-08-21 5:28 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Leegoocrap some. some from having a properly fitting bike (hopefully) some from having a more aero frame. some from being in a more aero position. some from clipless pedals how much faster? Let us know.

and some from the reduced weight... of your wallet  

you'll probably get the most gain from the enthusiasm you'll have from buying a new bike that you love.  You'll ride it more, making you more fit.

2014-08-21 6:01 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by L0ST0NE

I was looking to find out my estimate of speed gain is in the ball park or not. I understand that there will be an adjustment time getting used to the new bike. I am not looking for an exact number, i.e. will I get a 2.37 mph speed increase when I move to my new bike. I am just trying to get an estimate of what I can expect as far as a speed increase. I was hoping this forum with it's user having years of experience would have some idea, but I get generic answers that come across as if they are scared of being held accountable or getting sued if the speed gain is not what they suggested. I am not a big fan answers that only say "maybe", "some" or "we don't know". I am really trying to hold myself back while typing this since this thread has really soured me on this site and I am almost regretting even signing up. I am just starting out in the whole triathlon game and have completed my first one, but I am competitive and want to improve my time. I hope the people with the high post counts don't just vaguely answer questions to get a higher count just to make themselves look more important or that this forum is full of triathlon snobs that just look down on all new triathletes entering the sport.

I know you some of you guys are just going to flame me, but that shows more about your character then it does mine so fire away.

Ok, so expect to be about -1 to +1 MPH faster for the first few weeks to first couple of months. Yes, the timing will vary that much depending on your riding experience and ability to adapt to a new position. Once you have completely adjusted to your new position, which can take 2-12 months, you will be 2-4mph faster. Again, it all depends on your ability to adjust. And that's if you have a good fit. If not a good fit, you should expect minimal gains. Keep in mind that the bike is not magically going to make you faster, training and a proper fit will. The bike is only the path of achieve that.
2014-08-21 8:51 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Yeah, I switched from a wal-mart bike to a home built Fuji road bike and made significant gains when comparing the same race a year a part. But I spent a considerable amount of time working on the engine over the winter and it is hard to tell if the 6 mph gain on the same course was from the bike or just plain hard a@@ work!

2014-08-22 5:31 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
3mph faster, 4mph if we can still be friends.
2014-08-22 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Can only share my own experience with doing the same tri two years in a row, the first time with a rented mountain bike (probably heavier than your Walmart bike) and my road bike (without aeobars) the following year, on roughly similar training ( though, of course, more cumlulative training in the second year). I was 15 minutes faster on the same 42 km course. (1:21 vs 1:36). I believe the pace gain was roughly 2 or 2.5 mph. If your first bike isn't as heavy as the MTB, I'd expect the gains to be a bit less dramatic, though maybe with a tri bike/aerobars they might approach 2 mph.
2014-08-22 11:34 AM
in reply to: 0

Thank you for the much improved answers. I am sorry I kind of came across as having an attitude, but I feel I was not getting answers that I know this community is capable of.

I will be first using the new tri bike on my trainer in my pain cave and move it to the open road in the spring of next year. I will definitely be posting what if any speed gain I see. Right now that Wal-Mart POS is very uncomfortable for me and I tend to spend too much time on the hoods since the bike is too big for me. I thought about clip-ons, but I think the reach is too far for them to be much help and could make the handling unmanageable.

Again, thank you.

Edited by L0ST0NE 2014-08-22 11:35 AM
2014-08-22 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Remember that you're required to post pictures of your new ride when you get it (check the fineprint of the Forum Rules). 

Mark

2015-08-11 10:23 AM

The answer is an additional 3mph over the same course with similar weather conditions.

2015-08-11 11:20 AM

Just skimmed the thread, so this may have been mentioned, but another benefit of a tri bike is it could very likely improve your run times, as it's designed to "save your legs for the run." So some of the speed benefits you'll see might not be just on the bike.
2015-08-12 6:12 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Awesome! I also got a tri bike this year (actually at the very end of last year, but didn't train or race with it until this year) and managed to do the same tri (Oly) under very similar conditions two years in a row. Four minutes faster with the tri bike on basically the same course, possibly more like five minutes as there was a minor change to the end of it and my computer showed this year's course as being about 1/2 mile further--not sure about that as it wasn't the same bike computer (same model, though). About 2 kph (my computer is stuck on km--sorry) or 1.2 mph between a road bike with aerobars and the tri bike.

Of course, comparing the same race year to year would include not only the effect of the bike but all the cumulative training that took place over the year. Not sure how to isolate that without doing the same race twice in a short period, once with the roadie and once with the tri bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving from Walmart bike to a tri bike. Speed gain? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Adding 10 speed bar ends on a 7 speed bike

Started by m.a.burghart
Views: 1320 Posts: 15

2011-10-28 3:19 PM m.a.burghart

When to move to a Tri bike from road bike

Started by Izlude
Views: 853 Posts: 3

2010-08-09 11:00 AM dalessit

Walmart Bike

Started by Nipper
Views: 778 Posts: 4

2007-07-13 5:15 PM chirunner134

walmart bike

Started by ncgracing
Views: 2021 Posts: 20

2007-04-10 12:10 AM jonnyc1999

Walmart Road Bike

Started by DBullsPackFan
Views: 1994 Posts: 14

2006-01-24 6:05 PM imnotjoking
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.