United States
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 41m 8s
Overall Rank = 9/82
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Beer the night before. A Washington- local brew. No-Li Jet Star Imperial IPA.

"Remember that first thrill ride and mind-altering experience? Jet Star shatters your senses in a way not unlike a roller coaster. Brewed to showcase local, Washington-grown hops in all their glory, Jet Star's malt is intentionally subdued to allow the double-dosed hops from the late kettle hop additions and dry-hopping to take over the beer. Chinook and Cascade hops provide the classic citrus and pine aroma associated with big, bold American hops. It's one heck of a flashback!"

I don't generally like malty IPAs, so this one really makes me happy.

Slept as late as possible (it was a lonnnng week) drove the hour up to the pass and parked.
Event warmup:

Picked up my packet, wandered back to my car to change into my singlet/racing flats etc. Was putting on my flats in the car when I saw my teammates coming. Finished tying my shoe really quick then jumped in to warm up with them. Thank goodness for teammates because they also knew where the secret bathroom was. So I used it. Then I used it again.

I thought it might be cooler because of the cloud cover but by the time our warmup was complete I had a good layer of sweat going. It was also REALLY humid.
Run
  • 41m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I lined up near the front but a little back because A. The 5K started at the same time and I didn't want to get caught up in that and B. This was the regional championships and I knew even with the 10K there would be some competitive sub - 5 minute pace guys going out. I definitely didn't want to get caught up in that!

My goals for this race were pretty simple. 1. Improve upon my last race 2. Even splits 3. Stay relaxed when it gets hard.

I had another teammate who lined up with me and was looking for me to help hold her back in the beginning (she's one of THOSE) and then we were going to try and work together as long as it made sense. (She is towards the end of a marathon build so in really good shape but also with a lot of miles from the week)

The starter said, "On your mark, get set ..." Then a train horn sounded. This was part of the railroad days celebration but I don't think anyone was expecting the train horn to start the race. A couple people screamed and some people covered their ears and ducked. In the confusion I'm not exactly sure what happened but a few people went down. I managed to avoid the chaos and took off.

It felt really good to be racing on the road again. I knew today wouldn't be a PR day as I am not quite there fitness-wise but I felt stronger than I had in a long while. My teammate was running next to me, stride for stride and we came in the first mile at 6:36. Right where she wanted to be (thank you, thank you very much.) We turned out along the river for the second mile. The road weaved around a bit and my teammate shouldered me over saying, "tangents!" Duh. Sometimes I forget the most simple things. It was soooo nice to have her out there to remind me :) we were passing a lot of people at this point pretty much all the way to the cut off point for the 5K. We finished mile 2 at 6:36 again (woop!) and my teammate slowly started to pull away from me. I let her go. It was far too early to be pushing myself out of my comfort zone.

Although she was in front of me I was able to follow her beautiful tangent running through the curvy road. It also gave me a little motivation to not let her out of my sight. We approached the first 180-ish degree turn which I navigated as best as I could. It really is a skill to slowdown, turn, and start up again without screwing up your pacing. The third mile was 6:36 and I was suuuuuuuper happy with how I was pacing.

There was a loooooong straightaway out and back portion down past the mile 4 marker. This was a little tough mentally but I was able to cheer on my teammates on their return. It was nice to see that the really fast women weren't TOALLY killing me and that my fitness was slowly starting to come back since my surgery. I passed a guy who said, "Wow, you are so nice for cheering for all of those people." I told him I was probably paying for it with my pacing. Indeed I was, too. I ran that mile in 6:46! OOPS! I told him I needed to reign it in and I we could be our own cheering squad together if he ran with me. He accepted my invite.

We ran together for a bit and he said, "WOW, you are a very efficient runner! Are you even breathing?" I laughed and we chatted a bit more when I noticed my teammate I was pacing wasn't too far ahead. I decided reeling her in as much as possible would be my goal.

Sloooowly I got closer and closer. I dropped my cheering squad guy but I was really focused at this point. Just as we hit the 6 mile mark I passed her.

Just a quarter to go. I tried to stay as relaxed as possible even though it was starting to hurt. I accelerated as much as possible and ran through the finish.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to keep building my volume and adding in some more speed and strength workouts and I am confident I will not only continue to improve but get into PR shape.

I feel very invigorated and ready to run competitively again!
Post race
Warm down:

I had to skip the cooldown and awards ceremony and go straight to my car, to a bridal shower then a bachelorette party. Apparently I won a trophy, too. Damn.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still building volume and overall load. Getting there...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-08-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:08 | 06.21 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 9/82
Performance: Average
Course: Fairly flat, gently rolling course. The only big trouble spots are two 180 degree turnarounds, one that goes up a hill over a bridge.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-08-18 2:13 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Regional Road 10K championship

2014-08-18 2:40 PM
in reply to: #5040784

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Regional Road 10K championship
Boom Chickee WaWa! Running 6:30's and chatting with a member of your fan base, awesome! Sounds like you had a great race. Nicely done Adrienne.
2014-08-18 4:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

She's baaaaa-aaaaack!

Dang, you are fast, girl!

I chuckled aloud at the chaos the train horn caused.

Glad you had a good race and a race you are happy with.  Excellent work!

Edited by melbo55 2014-08-18 4:32 PM
2014-08-18 11:17 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Way to go, Salty!!  You ran a smart race and got a taste of the joy of competition again.  Love that you were cheering on other folks - makes it more fun, doesn't it?  Again, super job!

2014-08-19 5:40 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
GREAT beer report too!

Wow I wish I was that fast, you are amazing... Talking at a 6:36 pace, that is insane...lol GREAT job!!!
2014-08-19 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It's good to see you working on your racing again. Really well executed race, but it looks like you have improvements in your future as well. How is that even possible?!?! 

You rocked it, congratulations.

2014-08-19 7:03 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

BOOM, another awesome race!!  Great placement in overall standings given the surgery recovery time.

2014-08-19 8:47 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice work out there!  I'm so glad that you're happy with your fitness heading into your CIM build.

2014-08-19 12:40 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Dang Salty - your Beer Mile training is all wrong!  You're going way too far, and not having enough beer DURING the race.  Man, I never thought I'd have to teach YOU how a beer mile is supposed to go.  

Dude - I'm so happy to see you back at it with such amazing skill and speed.  You rocked it!  

2014-08-20 11:31 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great job Adrienne!!! I'm really impressed with your pacing.  Hope you head into Fall strong and ready for more adventures.

2014-08-21 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Bouncing along on the bottom my AZZ!!!!!!!!!! As always, you ROCKED it! Chatting, encouraging others, and reeling in that team mate. You are so awesome! And, of course, you PODIUM!!!!!!!!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Regional Road 10K championship Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tokeneke Classic Road Race: New England Regional Championship Road Race

Started by JAYCT
Views: 1320 Posts: 2

2013-12-20 1:12 PM Jason N

Auckland Secondary Schools Regional Cross Country Championship

Started by Clare44
Views: 829 Posts: 1

2006-06-17 2:41 AM Clare44

Mideast Regional Championships

Started by jlusk
Views: 818 Posts: 2

2005-08-29 2:42 PM coredump

Mideast Regional Championships

Started by coredump
Views: 1269 Posts: 15

2005-09-04 1:54 PM snikpos

Tri-Fever USAT Florida Regional Youth Championship

Started by Herdaughter
Views: 1219 Posts: 6

2005-08-09 2:18 PM Herdaughter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.
date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.