General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 YOLO Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

5430 YOLO Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
5430 Sports
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00am to take a shower and get my last minute things together. At 4:45am I drove to the course, which is only 10 minutes from the house.
Event warmup:

During the nearly 3 hours of waiting for my wave to start, I ate a couple of PB&J sandwiches from Smuckers. Tasty and they provided a little bit of what I needed at the time. I spent the rest of the time pacing around and waiting nervously. This was my first triathlon ever so I was a bit nervous.
Swim
  • 13m 18s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first triathlon and it showed. I quickly went into panic mode and froze up. I was doing fine until I swam up on a pair of kicking feet. As soon as I saw them, I stopped and tried to see where I needed to turn to. There really wasn't anywhere to go other than straight ahead. By the time I started going, I was run into from the back and from the side. Both of these events created even more anxiety in me. I spend most of my swim in full panic mode. I was so happy to get out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

I need to practice open water swimming and I need to practice swimming around other people.
Transition 1
  • 06m 17s
Comments:

I was really slow in transition. I struggled with the wetsuit. It didn't want to come off as easily as it had in practice. I also made the mistake of not wearing my tri top under the suit so I had to put it onto a wet body. Finally, I had a 5 gallon bucket that I used to sit on and I think that made me want to sit longer than I should have. I was in relax mode after the bad swim.

Stop fiddling around and get moving. I wasted time just hanging out.
Bike
  • 40m 52s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 18.35 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt decent in the bike portion. My 18.4 average speed was a little faster than I had been practicing, but it was comfortable. I was able to pass a lot of people and was only passed a couple of times.

Need to keep working on my leg strength and keep practicing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Transition was OK. Nothing great, nothing bad. Could have shaved 20 seconds or so due to stopping to drink instead of jogging with my water bottle.

Need to go a little quicker.
Run
  • 28m 41s
  • 3.14 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I made it through the run decent. Would have liked to stay under 9:00 minute/mile pace, but it wasn't bad.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a couple of pieces of pizza. There wasn't any beer. I could have used a beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more training.

Event comments:

It was a fun event.

Last updated: 2014-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:18 | 500 meters | 02m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Yes
Course: The course was an out and back to a location approximately 75 yards down the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:17
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:52 | 12.5 miles | 18.35 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The course is an out and back through rolling hills. Overall, it was a nice ride with some challenging little hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 75
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:41 | 03.14 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Relatively flat out and back course. The temps were beginning to climb at this point to around 75 degrees. Not terrible, but a little warm for me.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-08-18 3:27 PM

User image

, Colorado
Subject: 5430 YOLO Triathlon - Sprint Course

2014-08-19 1:31 PM
in reply to: #5040838

User image

Subject: RE: 5430 YOLO Triathlon - Sprint Course
Very solid first race--give yourself a break on the swim, it intimidates even the most experienced fastest racers and you hung in there to finish it. I never sit in transition and have come to the rack after and left before my AG competitors who were sitting. Try practicing the change standing . . . good luck in your next race, tris can be addicting!

Tim
2014-08-19 2:28 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Great job!! You didn't let your full-on panic mode keep you from making it through the swim and you did really well on the bike and run.  First tris seem to be mostly a dip of the toe into the water:  you figure out what you're good at, what you need to work on, and whether you even like it at all.  Looks like you did all 3.  Congrats!

I was at that race too.  Might have chatted with you without knowing you were a BT'er (I have a tendency to chat with anybody and everybody).  I'm sure that if we were in the swim together, you blew past me on the bike.   I agree, beer with the pizza would have been appreciated, especially since it got so warm.

Open water swimming is definitely a different beast than laps in a pool.  Grant Ranch in the Littleton area has organized OWS every weekend and some weeknights.  I've gone there a couple times and have found it to be really helpful.  Here's a link to info about it:  http://www.milehighmultisport.com/open-water-swimming/about/

Hope to run into you sometime.

2014-08-27 5:07 PM

User image

, Colorado
Next up... Augusta 70.3 IM in Augusta, GA on 09/28. I hope doing a slow sprint to get the feel for it is enough experience before going for it on the half IM.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 YOLO Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

5430 YOLO Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by laffinrock
Views: 1569 Posts: 15

2014-08-21 5:04 PM rrrunner

5430 Long Course Triathlon

Started by markdills38
Views: 2289 Posts: 12

2006-08-15 10:01 PM greyhound

Started by cullyatt
Views: 1728 Posts: 2

2006-08-14 10:46 AM markdills38

Started by Macdaddy
Views: 2093 Posts: 13

2006-08-15 4:21 PM fromer

Started by RLK
Views: 2116 Posts: 9

2006-08-14 10:49 AM cullyatt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : AndriaLL
comments : 1
It was literally seconds after I started swimming that I felt the tightness in my chest. I couldn’t get a deep breath in due to the tightness of my wetsuit. I was being strangled by my wetsuit...

date : July 9, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on IM run training and workouts, running frequency, training for the 5430 HIM and bilateral breathing.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.