General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Name pronunciation at Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-19 10:16 AM

Subject: Name pronunciation at Ironman
So this is probably the most petty question ever related to Ironman... but I'm in tapper for IMOO so why not obsess about silly things. Is there a way to let the announcer at the Ironman finish know how to pronounce your last name? The last thing I want to hear from my friends afterwards is "Yeah you finished Ironman but did you hear how they said your name, hahahaha!".

And again, I know there are about a million other things to worry about before I get to that point, but just bare with me on this.

2014-08-19 11:56 AM
in reply to: burhed

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Name pronunciation at Ironman
There is a good chance the announcers won't even mention your name...just call you an ironman depending on when you come in..

I have no idea if my name was ever called in three finishes.

2014-08-19 12:38 PM
in reply to: running2far

Veteran
Originally posted by running2far

There is a good chance the announcers won't even mention your name...just call you an ironman depending on when you come in..

I have no idea if my name was ever called in three finishes.

I agree with this. I've done two, no name mentioned either time .... keeps me from having to buy the video of the finish. lol
2014-08-19 1:10 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Originally posted by running2far There is a good chance the announcers won't even mention your name...just call you an ironman depending on when you come in.. I have no idea if my name was ever called in three finishes.

Or, even it it is announced, whether you hear it or not.  Honestly, if they mispronounce it, I'd bet you're more likely to notice it as in "hey, that waws kinda close...."

Control the (important) things you can control. 

2014-08-19 3:19 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I finished my first on Sunday and ran in about 10 seconds ahead of another competitor. Mike Rieley announced my name but only my first name. Went some thing "Matthew-You are an Ironman". To be honest, I barely heard it due to the crowds being so loud but I ran past him and gave him a high five so I was close enough to hear it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Name pronunciation at Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pineman Name Change.

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 1139 Posts: 6

2006-09-14 7:35 AM phoenixazul

Ironman -- a lousy name?

Started by drag631
Views: 1722 Posts: 24

2006-06-27 11:35 PM BellinghamSpence

RECOVERY from Half Ironman/Ironman

Started by gammy999
Views: 1259 Posts: 4

2005-09-13 11:28 AM Hudnick

Does two ½ ironman races equal one ironman?

Started by Irish Stu
Views: 1481 Posts: 9

2005-08-24 10:04 AM dgunthert

Ironman and 1/2 Ironman training

Started by FIN16
Views: 3731 Posts: 9

2004-10-24 11:21 PM NoisyD
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.