General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-10-09 10:57 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Is it unusual for this race to still be open to general entry? Signed up day after, but was surprised to see it is still open today. Less demand or more slots maybe?

2014-10-09 1:49 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Originally posted by meggfishy

I'm signed up! Will be my first IM. Starting to think about what spring HIM to do to prepare.

I know I said Challenge AC Aqua Bike but they also added a HIM option this year....
2015-02-22 6:42 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Just signed up! My first IM. I'm both psyched and a bit daunted. My wife booked us at the Fairmont Tremblant, which I think is in the Village. I hope so.
2015-02-23 7:10 AM
in reply to: halfironmike

User image

Veteran
, New York
I'm in! 4th IM, 3rd time at Tremblant and 2nd full at Mont Tremblant. I only grabbed my 70.3 Worlds slot last year because I loved the area so much...despite being about 40 minutes from Lake Placid I'd always choose Mont Tremblant over LP.
2015-04-07 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
How is everyone's training progressing? A little more than 4 months to go! Surprised to see that General Entry just sold out recently.
2015-04-07 8:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Thanks for giving this thread a bump. I don't think there's any doubt that my training is a bit behind, mostly because of the winter we had in Boston. I'm just getting my bike out of the trainer and on the road. My running has been a bit behind too.

I would say that the rest of April and all of May will be about adding some real volume for me. I can't wait to get in some bike rides that don't involve tights and other cold-weather gear.

Edited by halfironmike 2015-04-07 8:32 PM

2015-06-08 9:55 AM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Question for those who have done MT before. I'm torn between riding 60 front/90 rear and sporting a 60 front/rear disc. (First-world problem I know.) I've been told of scary crosswinds. I feel plenty stable with the disc even on windy days - probably more stable than with the 90 rear. I understand the aero advantage probably trumps the hill climbs. What are your thoughts?

Hope everyone's training is going well. Not much longer!
2015-06-08 5:22 PM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

I also have a question for those who've done this race before. Right now my bike carries two bottles. That has worked fine for me at the HIM distance. My question is, can I refill these two bottles at the 56-mile turnaround? Or do I need to start the race with four bottles, in which case I'll need to add a couple of cages behind the saddle.

Advice welcome!
2015-06-09 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by exnavydoc

Question for those who have done MT before. I'm torn between riding 60 front/90 rear and sporting a 60 front/rear disc. (First-world problem I know.) I've been told of scary crosswinds. I feel plenty stable with the disc even on windy days - probably more stable than with the 90 rear. I understand the aero advantage probably trumps the hill climbs. What are your thoughts?

I don't run on Disc wheels but when I raced IMMT last year, I saw plenty of people who rode the same set up. The winds were not terrible but they were evident on the highway section of the bike course, specifically the second loop.
2015-06-09 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by halfironmike

I also have a question for those who've done this race before. Right now my bike carries two bottles. That has worked fine for me at the HIM distance. My question is, can I refill these two bottles at the 56-mile turnaround? Or do I need to start the race with four bottles, in which case I'll need to add a couple of cages behind the saddle.

Advice welcome!

I rode with 3 bottles (1 in each cage and 1 in an Aero-hammock between the bars). There are aid stations every 10 miles on the bike with water and sports drinks and food. I would say that 2 bottles is plenty as you can grab a few waters every 10 miles to refill nutrition and water supply. I guess it all depends on the weather and your preference as how much you drink.
2015-06-09 10:24 AM

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Originally posted by exnavydoc

I used a 808 and disc combo last year. Winds were no problem at all. Plan on a Flo 90 front and Flo 90 rear with cover this year. Sounds like you're comfortable handling a bike so go with the disc.

2015-06-09 10:27 AM

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA

Advice welcome!

There are plenty of aid stations to pick up bottles. Really no reason to carry more than 2 unless it's 90 degrees. I'll be using 2 bottles and swapping at each aid station. Worked just fine last year.
2015-06-12 6:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Exnavydoc.....I plan on riding 808 front and 808 rear with aerojacket cover. Nice shirt! Class of 88.

Edited by Monty 2015-06-12 6:40 AM
2015-06-12 7:49 AM
in reply to: Monty

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Monty - thanks! Class 79 (Omnes Viri). I wore that jersey for every half/full for about 10 years. It was easily recognized and got a lot of yells on the run course. Favorite memory was the year Navy finally beat Notre Dame - I was on the run course at IMF and people kept giving me score updates. It got pretty torn up, and was finally retired. Sporting new Navy Tri colors now.

I scored a Flo wheelset a couple months ago, and I'm going to go with the 60 front/disc rear. Train safely, see you there.
2015-06-13 6:16 PM

User image

Does anyone know what they have at the aid stations? Bonk breakers? Power Aid? I'd like to do some training with the same stuff they're giving away.

Edited by halfironmike 2015-06-13 6:17 PM
2015-06-16 3:02 PM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
I am considering to sign up with Endurance Sport Travel but I would like to know if there is anybody here who did IMMT AND any european IM race just to compare and understanding better the bike course.
I would be flying over from Switzerland

2015-06-22 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Here is what I could find:

Bike course aid stations will offer the following:
Gatorade G Series
Water
Bananas
Honey Stinger Gel

There will be aid stations every mile on the run course offering:
Gatorade G Series
Water
Defizzed cola
Pretzels
Bananas
Honey Stinger Gel

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/mont-tremb...

Edited by natethomas2000 2015-06-22 8:36 AM
2015-06-22 8:50 AM
in reply to: natethomas2000

User image

Natethomas2000 - thanks for the info. That will certainly work for me. I'm doing 80 and 90-mile rides now and it's going well. Need to get my running up, too.

Good to see that a Bedford, Mass. guy will do this race -- my hometown! I spent most of my high school years riding my bike around Bedford and the surrounding towns.
2015-06-22 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA

Natethomas2000 - thanks for the info. That will certainly work for me. I'm doing 80 and 90-mile rides now and it's going well. Need to get my running up, too.

Good to see that a Bedford, Mass. guy will do this race -- my hometown! I spent most of my high school years riding my bike around Bedford and the surrounding towns.

The Bedford area is great for riding. I do most of my long rides as loops through Concord, Acton, Carlisle, Westford and Bedford. There are lots of nice roads with little traffic.

I've raced at Tremblant three times - two 70.3's and the full in 2013. It's a great race course and awesome venue. I can't wait - only eight weeks to go!!
2015-07-09 11:51 AM
in reply to: natethomas2000

User image

Has anyone received an email yet with a link to this year's athlete guide? I haven't and I'm wondering if it slipped into my junk mail somehow. We're only weeks away!!!
2015-07-09 5:05 PM

User image

No, not yet.

2015-07-10 8:42 AM
in reply to: KatiaRun

Last year, the athlete's guide was released about a week before the race.

The 2014 athlete's guide was very very similar to the 2013 athlete's guide, so if that pattern holds, the 2015 guide should be similar to last year's guide.

Do you have the 2014 athlete's guide?
2015-07-10 12:58 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Great point! I just found it on the web. The one thing I'm still unclear about is the different gear bags. When I did my two HIMs, it was set up like shorter triathlons where my stuff was basically on a towel next to my bike. It seems like the full IM races have five different gear bags.

I'm super anal about my planning and execution and I'm wondering if anyone who's done IMMT can shed light on this. I perused last year's athletes' guide and it mentions the five different color gear bags, but it's not clear and where they are and the logistics of how things work. For example, what's the difference between the swim-to-bike bag (blue) and the bike special needs bag (orange)?
2015-07-10 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT
Very easy- you get 5 different bags at registration -
morning clothes bag
swim to bike
bike to run
special needs bike
special needs run

morning clothes bag - bag to hold all your clothes from that morning - also used to carry goggles, cap, wetsuit, etc.. down to the beach area.
swim to bike - nothing goes on your bike - no helmet, sunglasses, shoes - everything goes in the bag (clothes for bike, chamois cream, gloves, socks, etc..) when you're done with the swim you run to the transition tent, call your number and someone will either grab your bag or direct you to your bag (there in a numbered order) - then proceed to the changing area and go for - all your swim stuff (wetsuit, goggles) go into the bag once you've gotten your bike stuff out.
Bike to run bag - same idea - sneakers, socks, body glide, etc... are all in your bag - come back into transition area, get bag, go to changing tent, take out what your need put in your biking stuff (helmet, etc..)

special needs - whatever you think you're gonna need 56 miles into the bike and 13 miles into the run put it in there!

2015-07-13 8:40 AM
in reply to: skitri

Originally posted by skitri

Very easy- you get 5 different bags at registration -
morning clothes bag
swim to bike
bike to run
special needs bike
special needs run

morning clothes bag - bag to hold all your clothes from that morning - also used to carry goggles, cap, wetsuit, etc.. down to the beach area.
swim to bike - nothing goes on your bike - no helmet, sunglasses, shoes - everything goes in the bag (clothes for bike, chamois cream, gloves, socks, etc..) when you're done with the swim you run to the transition tent, call your number and someone will either grab your bag or direct you to your bag (there in a numbered order) - then proceed to the changing area and go for - all your swim stuff (wetsuit, goggles) go into the bag once you've gotten your bike stuff out.
Bike to run bag - same idea - sneakers, socks, body glide, etc... are all in your bag - come back into transition area, get bag, go to changing tent, take out what your need put in your biking stuff (helmet, etc..)

special needs - whatever you think you're gonna need 56 miles into the bike and 13 miles into the run put it in there!

This is 100% right. here's a few extras that may be helpful. when you get down to the beach and put your dry clothes in the morning clothes bag, they are tossed into the back of a pick-up/small dump truck, so make sure to tie your bag shut. The swim to run and bike to run bags are lined up in 8ish long lines. you run into the tent, get your bag and change in the appropriate area. As you leave, again tie your bag shut and drop it off with the volunteer/drop in the pile. One safety item of note as you leave the tent heading towards your bike. The changing area of the tent has some sort of plastic flooring, and it's easy to slip and fall as you run out in your bike cleats, so be careful.

Otherwise, the info above is spot on.

Enjoy IMMT...it's a great race!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Fred D
Views: 30171 Posts: 423

2014-09-01 10:07 AM strikyr

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33884 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9840 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7805 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68496 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: