General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Comments on Bike Posture Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-19 9:29 PM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Subject: Comments on Bike Posture
I am looking for any comments or suggestions about my two poses on my road bike with clip-on aero bars. A little information: I am 6 feet tall, ~33 inch inseam, 58 cm road bike (yeah it's an old 1994 Trek but hey that's what I'm working with). I bought this guessing the size bike I would need and only had a small budget so I will be making do with this roadie until I can budget a better bike next season. I plan to get a proper fit when i purchase my next bike. However, for the time being...

I have not been using the aero bars all that often since now I feel for some reason they are too far away (i.e. as if I am stretching out my body to position my arms in the aero position). So my question is, are the aero bars positioned appropriately for use? If they are too far I would not want to risk using them and injuring myself somehow.

Lastly, for the picture in the bullhorns (that's the 'slang' term for it right? lol), does my seat appear to be the correct height? It feels like a good height to me but just checking in case I am to high. I've had it higher and can certainly tell when pedaling, since it feels like doing toe stretches (I fixed that quickly).

Thanks in advanced for your help folks, I greatly appreciate it!

(IMG_0598.JPG)

(IMG_0603.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0598.JPG (1461KB - 1 downloads)
IMG_0603.jpg (1490KB - 0 downloads)

2014-08-19 9:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Comments on Bike Posture

For where you are in your triathlon "career" that looks workable to me.  Looking at your leg and heel you MIGHT be a smidge too high still with your seat.....but you're close.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-08-19 9:35 PM
2014-08-20 12:34 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Originally posted by Left Brain

For where you are in your triathlon "career" that looks workable to me.  Looking at your leg and heel you MIGHT be a smidge too high still with your seat.....but you're close.

Thanks Left Brain, just checking to make sure things looked OK. Btw your photo always gets a laugh out of me!
2014-08-20 1:05 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Oakville

I don't have any comments on your position but recommend you take a look at http://triracebook.com

There is an application in the "My TRB" section called Bike Position Inspector where you can upload a photograph of your aero position and then affix markers to various positions on your body (hip, shoulder, knee etc).  Based on the markers it will generate various angles and give suggestions - i.e. move seat higher, handlebars lower. 

Here's a youtube video that shows how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA1bb-G7KI0

I found it difficult to move the markers to the precise spot, particularly for the hip and the shoulder, but for a free app its a good start.

2014-08-20 1:23 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I will agree with LB, looks pretty close, maybe a tad high on the seat but looks alright.

The bars do look a bit far away but you will have that with any road bike with clip on's, just the nature of trying to make a TT bike out of a roadie. I tired clip-on's too for a while and found it hurt my lower back after a while trying to stretch to meet those bars. 

My solution was to buy a TT bike, but another option is a "forward" seat post. It angles the seat forward to mimic a TT bike's geometry, basically moves you closer to the aero bars. Looks like they can be had for under $100, might be worth a shot, would get you much closer to a real TT position on that bike.

2014-08-20 1:55 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I'm not an expert, but I'm also on a roadie w/ aero bars. Why not slide them back (if they are adjustable that way)? It looks like you wouldn't hit them with your knees.

2014-08-20 10:45 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I tried the triracebook website but was unsuccessful on first attempt, I'll try it again though.

Thanks for posting the picture of the forward seat post, I've wondered about them. I literally thought it was just people moving their seat forward hehe

The clip-on aero bars I own are unadjustable in that direction (i.e. closer to me). I've been thinking if I'm not planning on using them, I might as well just remove them for now.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Comments on Bike Posture Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Fit/Posture - Advice please...

Started by dtrimmer
Views: 828 Posts: 11

2012-01-13 9:07 PM briderdt

I knew my bad posture would catch up to me sooner or later

Started by tuwood
Views: 1180 Posts: 5

2011-05-06 7:23 AM trigal38

Bike Posture Question

Started by birdog41
Views: 1381 Posts: 11

2010-09-27 9:48 AM evey1984

Running form, head/neck posture help...

Started by crkoester
Views: 1178 Posts: 4

2008-09-07 7:59 PM kenaxford

Bike posture...

Started by Kpace
Views: 1108 Posts: 14

2007-01-31 1:36 PM Kpace
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
comments : 0
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching