General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cassette Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-20 1:51 PM

New user
Bonney Lake
Subject: Cassette Question
Hello BT folks,
I have a question about by bike and the cassette. I have newer bike and it came with Sram Red components. Knowing the races I had this year I changed out the cassette to an ultegra 12-28. I am not real sure what the other cassette was but might have been a 26. I changed to what I knew I liked for hills. My question is around my chain dropping. I seem to be dropping my chain a lot. This has never happened to me in the past but for some reason now it does. Could it be due to the cassette not being compatible with the rest of the bike? I would think it makes no difference but I have had my bike tuned up and adjusted etc and this keeps coming up. it can be going from big ring to small or the other way as well. let me know what you all think.

Thanks

2014-08-20 6:56 PM
in reply to: edawno

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Cassette Question
I mix SRAM and Shimano cassettes with Shimano and SRAM derailleurs.

What I think is happening is:
1.) If the chain is dropping between the largest cog and the spokes, then a little tuning will fix it. But that's too E-Z. So it's got to be...

2.) If the chain is dropping between the inner chain ring and frame, then the chain may be too short for a 28 tooth cog. Going from a cassette with 26 large cog to a cassette with a 28 larger cog will force the rear derailleur to extend two links toward the crank. This extra tension is relieved faster when shifting from outer to inner chain ring in the front. Extra tension can also affect the lateral alignment of the rear derailleur and chain rings.

The solution depends on your rear derailleur. If the RD cage is long enough, or the data sheets list the cassette range given the chain ring sizes, then replacing your chain with one that is 2 links longer should solve the problem. Another way to tell if your drivetrain will accept 2 more links is to shift to small chain ring and small cog. If the chain approaching the bottom pulley makes contact with the upper pulley, then there is no more chain capacity.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cassette Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cassette Question

Started by kproudfoot
Views: 767 Posts: 11

2009-03-29 10:02 PM fa590

Cassette Question

Started by coredump
Views: 842 Posts: 5

2008-04-03 12:53 PM king03

rear cassette question?

Started by clincomedic
Views: 780 Posts: 4

2007-03-06 9:53 PM tkbslc

Cassette Question

Started by fishnrich
Views: 596 Posts: 3

2006-01-21 7:03 AM fishnrich

11/23 cassette question?

Started by Octane
Views: 633 Posts: 3

2005-11-30 7:18 PM JohnnyKay
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.