United States
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 20m 7s
Overall Rank = 33/60
Age Group = 50 - 54
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Up and dressed and then some breakfast. I had loaded most everything the night before. I picked up Dud as he was going to lifeguard from his kayak and help me out. He wound up at an aid station on the bike for a bit too.

Set up transition and wrestle into the wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Nothing other than a quick swim to check for goggle leakage
Swim
  • 46m 9s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought I swam pretty good and straight. The farming had it 5 or 6 hundred yards long. I don't believe that, I do believe the course was long. The start was delayed as the buoys had drifted.

Had the one goy that would sprint by me then stop to sight. This went on the entire swim!
What would you do differently?:

Swim more
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Considering a stop in the Porto potty this wasn't a terrible time in T1

Pee in the lake
Bike
  • 3h 29m 24s
  • 58 miles
  • 16.62 mile/hr
Comments:

The goal for this race was primarily to test nutrition as I had some issues last year at IMFL. So the power goal was set for 200 plus or as close as possible on the bike to see what would happen. First lap on wet roads no problem. But I didn't seem to pass many.

Second lap the roads dried but the wind picked up. Unfortunately the wind came out of the north which was the up hill portion of the loop. Road bikes were probably a better choice, but since this was a dress rehearsal, I never considered it as an option.

Sadly between the wind and my back getting tight, my focus strayed and the power dropped below goal. Still better than most races but not where it should or could be.

I do love the last few miles being downhill with a tailwind though, nice set up for the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Took a little time to stretch the back out a bit

Maybe run without socks and get bike to where the back doesn't act up.
Run
  • 1h 58m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Since the goal was to push the pace on the bike to see how the nutrition plan worked, the run goal was secondary. But I wanted to break 2 hours, which I did and I wanted the last 3 miles to be the fastest which they weren't.
After the first mile loosened the legs up I felt pretty good. Cooled off plenty with a glass of water ever aid station with some dumped over the head.

Miles clicked off and for the most part I was staying within the 9 min/mi range. I would like to be a bit quicker but it still gets me below 2 hours. Since the course is 2 laps of an out and back it is pretty easy to run into the other racers several times.

At the first turn around I get passed by a guy my age, but he is wearing running shorts so I am thinking he is a relay. But, I figured I would keep him in reach as a means to keep my pace up. SInce the hydration worked on the bike but the gel turned my stomach sour I had to resort to living off the course. This strategy worked for me at Musselman, but it will probably be a bit light for a full. A gel every 3 or so miles with some water. I also took some grapes at a couple of aid stations.

Still chasing the guy from my AG I could tell he was fading some as he started walking the aid station. I was as well but just long enough to make sure I got the water in my and not on me. Or at least the part that I needed to drink. Just a bit past where he got me on the first lap he slowed and I got him back. I am glad I decided to chase him as I had no idea that this was a pass for 1st in AG at the time.

Kept trying to reach the goal of the last three being the fastest couldn't quite get there. My fastest mile was the 13th, which is good especially since I stopped to give some advice to an old friend that was heading out for the 2nd lap that was struggling with some cramping issues.

Ran it in solid!

Stop drinking the craft beers that I have gotten into lately. I seemed to struggle taking the 10 pounds I normally put on over the winter off this year and I think that is the reason why!
Post race
Warm down:

Sat and enjoyed a nice beer brewed especially for the race by a local brewer. Thanks Dud for getting that for me!! Super Sherpa!

Event comments:

I like supporting this race. It is the second year for them and they did better this year but still some minor issues. It is nice to have a local race of the full and half distance.

Thanks to Dud for the help with the gear and for volunteering!!

Last updated: 2014-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:09 | 2112 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 45/60
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:29:24 | 58 miles | 16.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 39/60
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:58:49 | 13.1 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 25/60
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-08-20 3:13 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Peasantman Half Steel Distance

2014-08-20 8:04 PM
in reply to: #5041743

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-24 3:45 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Peasantman Half Steel Distance

Awesome work out there!

Those craft beers will nail you one way or another 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peasantman Half Steel Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Peasantman Steel Distance Triathlon - Full Course

Started by CaptainSlow
Views: 1125 Posts: 1

2013-08-25 2:29 AM CaptainSlow

Peasantman Steel Distance Triathlon - Half Course

Started by bdenehy
Views: 1195 Posts: 2

2013-08-20 6:13 AM kenj

Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons

Started by dexter
Views: 1521 Posts: 4

2013-08-20 7:43 AM isis

Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons

Started by kenj
Views: 2441 Posts: 7

2013-08-22 10:12 AM acv

Davis Family YMCA/Steel Valley Triathlon Club Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by fcrellin791
Views: 1290 Posts: 1

2009-05-17 1:37 PM fcrellin791
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01
date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.