General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to this sport!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-21 12:28 AM

User image

Shavertown, Pennsylvania
Subject: New to this sport!!
Hello all, I am looking for a new adventure for 2015 and I have the bug to do a tri. I am from northeast PA. Being 45 yrs old, my knees feel like garbage, but it could be that I wrestled for years then also coached at a local high school, not to mention that while in the service I competed in drug free bodybuilding while stationed overseas... I never used to have an issue getting into the gym, but with work, family life, and the joys of owning a home, it is hard to get in the gym without losing focus on what needs to be done before the day is over... In 2011 a group of us went to NJ to do our 1st Tough Mudder, then every year since we travel to another state to do another, most recently Las Vegas. The good thing about me signing up for races, it keeps me focused, & in shape, and ready for the events I enter...My wife, in 2013 got me into a tri, as a team, but it was a run/kayak/bike....It was fun, something different, but then she talked me into a 9 mile race on Thanksgiving in Berwick, PA, and then this past spring the Scranton 1/2 marathon...I found that I enjoy mixing up the running with something else, keeps me from being bored by longer runs, and the tri, I believe, will be my answer. I am currently training for a 1/2 marathon in Sept, and atleast 1 if not 2 more races before 2015 rings in. Now the funny thing is I race only to finish, at best I am happy to be a 9-10 minute mile guy for all my races, I still try to do my best, but regardless where I finish, I have that sense of pride of what I accomplished...(I never had the illusion that I would be known for my running ability-hahaha) Anyway, I found this site and look forward to reading and gaining as much knowledge as possible...I have A LOT to learn, and I mean A LOT... as of right now I have nothing but running shoes and a 25 X 40 inground pool, as well as a lake nearby, where the tri is held.. so I will take ANY & ALL advice you may have for me!(esp on bike selection for a person on a budget and proper gear) The(SPRINT) tri that I will be signing up for is not until next August (2015), as this year's event just finished...

2014-08-21 8:50 AM
in reply to: Trooper516

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: New to this sport!!

Welcome to BT and good luck on your entry into triathlon!

2014-08-21 11:23 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Shavertown, Pennsylvania
Thank you, I am really looking forward to accomplishing my new goal. I hope that I become quickly addicted to the sport and look forward to meeting the other people that enjoy the tris as well.
2014-08-22 9:26 AM
in reply to: Trooper516

User image

Champion

Definitely welcome to the site.  So it looks like your running will be fine.  How is the swimming going?  Have you started grinding out the laps yet?  

Good luck on the half marathon next month!

2014-08-22 9:39 AM
in reply to: Ron

User image

Shavertown, Pennsylvania
Thank you, no I haven't started the swimming training yet, that I believe will be my thorn, I like to swim but wouldn't say that I am a strong swimmer, do you think 20 weeks out would be best to start training? I will be going into the winter months with a few races, and over the snow months be on my spin bike that I purchased last year... I usually have our pool open in May, so I figured I could start the swim training then, tri is next August.. 20 weeks from August is end of March or beginning of April...
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to this sport!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New to the sport, any sport

Started by Angusbob
Views: 909 Posts: 2

2009-05-02 3:11 AM Chaderbox

New to the sport!

Started by Pam Joel
Views: 1109 Posts: 10

2004-07-09 11:38 AM kelpeng

Brand New to this sport

Started by Anna
Views: 1838 Posts: 18

2004-03-16 10:06 AM kelpeng

New to the sport

Started by rjtodd
Views: 1471 Posts: 12

2004-03-03 4:35 PM Lara

new to the sport

Started by evrunning
Views: 1191 Posts: 8

2004-01-21 7:53 PM malvey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Recurrent injuries to the groin are slow to heal, easily re-injured, and will frustrate your training and competition plans. Learn about the diagnosis, anatomy and treatment of sports hernias.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : November 12, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
While busy athletes enjoy the ease of using pre-wrapped sports foods, these commercial products tend to be more about convenience than necessity. Here is a listing of various types of sport fuels.
date : May 6, 2009
While there is a time and a place for engineered sports foods, many athletes needlessly waste a lot of money misusing them. The purpose of this article is to help you become an informed consumer.

date : January 19, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Which sport do you believe is easier to continually improve at: swimming, bicycling, or running? What makes you think this specific sport is easier to improve at?
date : December 11, 2006
If you have ever felt confused by the plethora of commercial sports fuels, you are not alone. Runners, cyclists, and other athletes inevitably ask me, "What’s the best energy bar? gel? sports drink?"

date : November 14, 2004
author : Akuma
I am 28 now, hardly an old crony, but life in busy Sydney Australia has meant my belly is softer than the excuses I use to convince myself I am in good shape.