General Discussion Triathlon Talk » REV3 Cedar Point Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-21 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Subject: REV3 Cedar Point
Anyone going to the race this year? Very excited that we are less than 3 weeks away!

2014-08-22 7:59 PM
in reply to: deboerkj

User image

Regular
Owosso Michigan
Subject: RE: REV3 Cedar Point
I'll be there - doing the AquaBike nationals
2014-09-02 3:16 PM
in reply to: craigweaver

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

AB Nationals for me too.  I was looking at the maps and looking at the T1 times.... How long is the run to the transition area?  The women's T1 times were about 7 minutes.

2014-09-03 7:50 AM
in reply to: emferg

User image

Veteran
Berkley
A coworker did the HIM there last year and since the water was so choppy they moved the start of the swim 1/2 mile down the shore. This caused the swimmers to have a good job to the transition area, increasing the times. I'm not sure if the aquabike nationals are the same course, but that may be a reason for the increased times last year.
2014-09-03 8:20 AM

User image

Regular
Owosso Michigan
I did the HIM there last year as well and I can say Lake Erie was a lot more than choppy. They had 10+ foot waves and undertow. They moved the swim into the harbor on the opposite side of the peninsula. As the previous poster said, it was a 1/2 mile run back to the transition area and most of us did it barefoot. Here's hoping they get to stick with plan A this year but I was really glad they had a backup plan last year. I did Steelhead 70.3 5 years ago when they canceled the swim and we had to run an extra 2 miles at the beginning of the race, now that stunk for a non runner like myself.
2014-09-04 8:40 AM
in reply to: craigweaver

User image

Veteran
Berkley
I did Steelhead a few years ago and they canceled the swim because the waves were capsizing the support boats. We just did a time trial bike start instead.

2014-09-04 3:46 PM

User image

Good luck this weekend. I'm interested in hearing how it goes .. this race is on my short list for my first 70.3.
2014-09-08 7:42 PM
in reply to: jeremyscarroll

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Well that race was a flop for me. That was the first time in my life that I had a panic attack. Last year they moved the swim to the marina side of CP, but this year it seemed like they insisted that they wanted to do it on the Lake Erie side. The day before was really windy and there were some good 2-4' waves. The morning was no better, in fact it was a little worse. I made it about 1/2 way with the first lap and called it a day, my anxiety went through the roof. I couldn't get my breathing under control and my heart rate was sky high.

People asked if this was my first IM, and I said no, I completed IMFL in 2012 no problems with the swim. The difference between the ocean waves and these waves was the extra chop you had in Lake Erie. I'm use to swimming with rolling wave but the chop made it near impossible to get a good stroke going because the normal roll of the waves was being interrupted by the chop. Take a stroke at the crest of the wave, come up to sight take it in the face, take a breath, drink the lake. It was awful. My training buddy didn't make it past the first lap cut off time. Apparently roughly 10% of the full distance swimmers had to be pulled out of the water because of the conditions.

While I believe that Rev3 had good intentions, I will never do that race again until they commit to the marina side of the park. Sure you may have a 1/4 mi transition run but I believe racers will be overall happier than having to worry about Mother Nature playing a game or the RD scrambling to move the race at the last minute.

The swag was PATHETIC. I got a murse... yes a man-purse/satchel thing that was super cheap, 1 breakfast bar and some coupons for crap I didn't need. Hell, one of the coupons expired on 7/31/14. It looked like finishers got a seat cover with the normal finishing gifts.
2014-09-09 9:15 AM

User image

Oh man, that sounds terrible. Those conditions don't sound safe at all .. this sport is dangerous enough as it as, and you add conditions like that and it goes from an endurance sport to survival sport.

I'm glad you made it out to race another day.
2014-09-09 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by deboerkj

Well that race was a flop for me. That was the first time in my life that I had a panic attack. Last year they moved the swim to the marina side of CP, but this year it seemed like they insisted that they wanted to do it on the Lake Erie side. The day before was really windy and there were some good 2-4' waves. The morning was no better, in fact it was a little worse. I made it about 1/2 way with the first lap and called it a day, my anxiety went through the roof. I couldn't get my breathing under control and my heart rate was sky high.

People asked if this was my first IM, and I said no, I completed IMFL in 2012 no problems with the swim. The difference between the ocean waves and these waves was the extra chop you had in Lake Erie. I'm use to swimming with rolling wave but the chop made it near impossible to get a good stroke going because the normal roll of the waves was being interrupted by the chop. Take a stroke at the crest of the wave, come up to sight take it in the face, take a breath, drink the lake. It was awful. My training buddy didn't make it past the first lap cut off time. Apparently roughly 10% of the full distance swimmers had to be pulled out of the water because of the conditions.

While I believe that Rev3 had good intentions, I will never do that race again until they commit to the marina side of the park. Sure you may have a 1/4 mi transition run but I believe racers will be overall happier than having to worry about Mother Nature playing a game or the RD scrambling to move the race at the last minute.

The swag was PATHETIC. I got a murse... yes a man-purse/satchel thing that was super cheap, 1 breakfast bar and some coupons for crap I didn't need. Hell, one of the coupons expired on 7/31/14. It looked like finishers got a seat cover with the normal finishing gifts.

Ugh, I am sorry to hear that. I know the Great Lakes aren't the ocean but they can get some serious chop -- nothing to mess with. I'm sorry you had to bag your race but I'm glad you recognized that it was unsafe for you to continue so you could live to race another day.

And I can't believe you got an expired coupon... come on.
2014-09-09 11:46 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Thanks guys. Yeah it was an experience to say the least. I've decided my road to redemption races will be:

2015:
Sprint - Motor City Tri
Oly - Island Lake in Aug.

2016:
HIM - Mi Titanium
Full - Louisville IM

Unless Rev3/Challenge Family decide to change Cedar Point to the marina side, I'm swapping out louisville instead of CP.

2014-09-09 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Are you going to try to squeeze in another late-season full to get your training's worth, or no?
2014-09-10 8:25 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Looking at the calendar there isn't another race close to MI that would work. That, and dropping another chunk of change down for a race/hotel isn't really in the budget this year.

But I'm excited for those four races.
2014-09-10 5:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Boo! But I can personally vouch for the awesome-ness of the first three races. =)
2014-09-11 6:11 AM

User image

Expert
My buddy and his son did the full. He takes us swimming out in Lake Erie near Gibralter every week. He is an AWESOME swimmer and has swum in all kinds of crappy weather out there....for years!!! He said that swim was the HARDEST swim he's ever done. EVER! He was sick in his stomach for 30 miles on the bike.

I have no idea why they didn't move the venue other than I think Challenge was officially part of the company and perhaps forbade it? Not a good sign of them switching to the marina.

I'm sorry you had such a rough go, but you did the right thing...and I love how you've crafted your revenge race schedule already!
2014-09-11 8:17 AM
in reply to: TrishM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Thanks Trish. I emailed Rev3 about my experience and said that racer safety is number one and this year's water conditions were better than last year. I don't know.... just seemed like a PO'd response.

Miles - I'm excited for the Motor City triathlon. I've done one other 3D race a few years ago (Seahorse Challenge) and they put together a great race. I personally love Island Lake and train out there often during the summer months. Element Events (Jim) is fantastic. I did the MiTi the inaugural race and I was happy with it. I'm ready to go back for more!

For the winter, I think I will be rewatching Game of Thrones on a trainer in my basement

If anyone is interested in joining, we can BYOB spin/GoT watching sessions. I have 2 trainers. HA

2014-09-11 9:38 AM

User image

Yeah, that's a crap response from Rev.

"Oh, you think that was bad .. you should have been here last year! Oh, and safety is our top priority."

Hopefully Challenge makes some changes with that race. It has the potential to be a really great one.
2014-09-14 4:30 PM

New user

I finished the race. If it was not my first full, I'm not sure I would have powered through those waves. I did lose my breakfest on the second lap and had to play catch up on my nutrition on the bike. It was rough out there. Everything else was smooth. Bike and run were nice.

Also I have to agree the swag was very disappointing. Maybe I'm just spoiled by 3D and T2F, but I expected more from a national company than what I got.
2014-09-15 2:49 PM
in reply to: Dexter_M

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

I managed to finish my AB race but that was one of the worst OW swims I have ever experienced.  I learned to swim in the big lakes but I could not find a rhythm and got so far behind the leaders I had no shot of catching them on the bike.  Once I stood up at the end of the swim I threw up what I had drank of Lake Erie.  I was so dizzy and wobbly the first 20 miles of the bike it was probably unsafe for me to be out there. Glad I wasnt doing the full, I don't think I would've gone out for loop 2.

Agreed on the swag.  Meh, at best.  Not impressed enough to want to race again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » REV3 Cedar Point Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Cedar Point

Started by rev3tri
Views: 1036 Posts: 2

2011-09-30 10:30 PM Shermbelle

Rev3 Cedar Point

Started by kzoojason76
Views: 2066 Posts: 11

2011-09-07 10:50 AM bbarr66

Rev3 Cedar Point Full Ride Sunday June 27

Started by rottieguy
Views: 2011 Posts: 15

2010-06-29 7:52 AM kathmich

Cedar Point 9/12 Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by smoak
Views: 8068 Posts: 105

2010-07-30 3:06 PM triOK

Ironman race at Cedar Point Pages: 1 2 3

Started by saci
Views: 7022 Posts: 68

2009-09-14 1:01 PM Silver_wlf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race