General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in Florence or Firenze Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-21 9:15 AM

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
Subject: Training in Florence or Firenze
I'm heading to Florence in a few weeks and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good places to swim/bike/run. I don't necessarily need to "train" while I'm there, but would like to get out and about. Also, I think it would be great to jump in with some locals if at all possible.

Any suggestions / thoughts would be great.

2014-08-21 9:43 AM
in reply to: BradyFinney

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Training in Florence or Firenze

Originally posted by BradyFinney I'm heading to Florence in a few weeks and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good places to swim/bike/run. I don't necessarily need to "train" while I'm there, but would like to get out and about. Also, I think it would be great to jump in with some locals if at all possible. Any suggestions / thoughts would be great.

Here's a decent article on running.

http://www.runnersworld.com/where-to-run/florence-italy

Here's something on biking.

http://www.reidsitaly.com/destinations/tuscany/florence/planning/around-by-bike.html

And biking.

http://www.visitflorence.com/what-to-do-in-florence/pools-in-florence.html 

I'm jealous.  I've been there twice and loved it.  

2014-08-21 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I fully enjoyed running in Florence, along the river was very nice and over the bridges moving away from the central core was quick and provided a whole different running experience.  Overall running there was very easy.  Running in Vinice, however, not so much... that was just a pain.

2014-08-21 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I was in Italy in June with my family and spent 4 days in Firenze. We did a bike tour which I highly recommend, http://www.fiesolebike.it/ They have several stock tours of varying length or will customize any for you. You can also rent from them and do a self-guided tour if you want. We really liked the owner who did our tour with us, GIOVANNI CRESCIOLI. I am sure other options exist for biking as well. I did not look into swimming in Florence, but enjoyed swimming in the Mediterranean quite a bit while we were in Manarola, one of the Cinque Terre. I highly recommend visiting that area - great hiking!.

I also ran 3 times in Firenze and, like Sous, really enjoyed running along the river. Be carful in town on the cobblestones. They can be real ankle turners if you don't watch your footing.

Have a great trip!
2014-08-21 4:03 PM

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
Thank you very much for the replies...makes me feel like I won't totally fall off the wagon while I'm there. Hopefully good intentions will translate to some action.
2014-08-21 4:51 PM
in reply to: #5041967

User image

Philadelphia
Head across the Arno and you can get some great hills in to get up to Piazelle Michaelangelo, then be rewarded with great views of the city.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in Florence or Firenze Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training for training or training for weightloss Pages: 1 2

Started by Denise2003
Views: 3271 Posts: 28

2006-03-13 12:17 PM buckeye66

Tri Training and 1/2 Marathon Training.

Started by Crazypop
Views: 742 Posts: 3

2005-03-07 5:12 PM Crazypop

Weight training while Tri training?

Started by sty
Views: 1213 Posts: 3

2005-01-06 10:21 AM tupuppy

training logs - planned training options

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 1521 Posts: 5

2004-11-29 12:36 PM Ron

tri training and marathon training

Started by cece
Views: 1622 Posts: 11

2004-08-27 2:31 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.

date : June 6, 2011
author : JorgeM
comments : 1
Article explaining simple training concepts important for any endurance program
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : July 8, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Training and racing with your body type mostly means a more analytical approach to both. Here are a few ways you can tip the genetic scale.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.