General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross - A magical time of year Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-08-21 10:33 AM

User image

over a barrier
Subject: Cyclocross - A magical time of year
We kick off our racing this weekend with a fun/low key relay event. Two man teams with each rider rotating laps. Our series shuffled up the time of events so I'm loving out of Masters this year and into the Cat 3 and/or Cat 123 Race. Bring on the pain train.

Questions / Race Reports / Videos / UCI talk all welcome!

2014-08-21 5:22 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Cyclocross - A magical time of year

Just got introduced to cyclocross.  My son is in the middle of a week long cyclocross clinic and he is hooked.  And me not being one to sit and watch will be jumping in as well.  We are looking at bike options for him.  Yes, another world of adventure to explore.

2014-08-22 10:43 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

over a barrier
I pretty much dumped Triathlon after playing cyclocross. Best time on two wheels.

This is an amazing series to follow on vimeo

http://vimeo.com/album/2200561/video/86090023

Breaks down the world cups and some of the super prestige and bpost series.
2014-08-22 11:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

That's awesome.  Great motivation for my trainer sessions.

Any equipment advice?  carbon vs. aluminum? pedals? shoes?  I had been considering adding a road bike to the stable but am now thinking a cx is the way to go and if I want to use it on the road I could just swap tires.

Edited by popsracer 2014-08-22 11:07 AM
2014-08-22 12:00 PM

User image

over a barrier
Lots of things to consider. A CX bike on the road is okay, if you're running a larger ring. Most people race CX on a range of 34-44. I have a 46 and 36 rings. I only use the 46 for the start and drop into the 36 for the remainder of the race once we hit the first bottle neck. SRAM has launched a CX1 groupset for CX specific single ring set up.

Disc brakes vs Canti : Trend is moving towards Disc, I use Canti still and will continue. I don't need the stopping power due to my region. We only have a few sloppy races a year and all my wheels are standard wheels. I would need to change over three sets of wheels if I switched bikes, so not worth it for me.

Carbon vs Aluminum. Weight is important in CX due to the crazy high rolling resistance. My first CX bike was ALM and was a tank, I've switched to carbon and have yet to destroy it (this is season 4 on the bike). As a general rule, be prepared to replace things in CX. Your first bike you might want to consider ALM

Wheels: Clincher vs Tubular. Tubular hands down. I have three sets of carbon tubulars, all purchased used. I use the Challenge Chicane as my go to tire (Clement and FMB are also popular brands) and the Dugast Rhino as my mud tire. I'm currently not using my Challenge Griffo because the Chicane fills that void for me. The Chicane is a file trend w/ big side knobs. Love it. I'll sell a set of wheels this year and stick with two sets.

Most bikes will come with clinchers, so maybe look into getting a set of tubular major toms to race on. Tire pressure is so important and you can race tubulars all the way down to <15 psi. (Powers was running 13 psi in koksijde ) . A clincher would pinch flat in the low 20's.

The key though in CX, is Run what you brung. Anything will work, you'll see super cheap setups all the way to the latest and greatest.

Edited to add: The popular choices for pedals are Egg beaters, Candy's, and SPD. I use Candy's for the little platform if I slip a pedal. I use Northwave mountain bike shoes, on the cheaper side.

Edited by running2far 2014-08-22 12:04 PM
2014-08-22 11:44 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Lots of great info. Much appreciated.I am leaning towards a light carbon bike with disc setup. It gets very wet around here in the Fall and I've had braking issues on my tri bike. There is also a lot of hilly terrain and some great climbs so I'd like to try something light.Today was last day of the cx clinic and they set up a nice course for the kids. We got there early and I did a few laps on my mountain bike. It was a ton of fun.

2014-08-24 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Originally posted by running2far

I pretty much dumped Triathlon after playing cyclocross. Best time on two wheels.

This is an amazing series to follow on vimeo

http://vimeo.com/album/2200561/video/86090023

Breaks down the world cups and some of the super prestige and bpost series.

Thanks for the link - looks like a pretty cool sport. I don't know anything about cyclocross but once I got a few minutes in I was hooked watching Sven and Stybar battle it out.
Don
2014-08-25 10:24 AM
in reply to: donw

User image

over a barrier
First weekend of racing in the books. CX is August is such a bad idea, but still had fun.

Broke a chain and seat bolt clamp so raced on a borrowed friend's b bike. It was a small and I ride a large. The toe overlap was overall, but still had fun. It was a relay event (low key fun). One more relay event in Wisconsin this weekend and then a few weeks off to wait for the real season to start.
2014-08-25 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Just got my first CX bike.  Looking forward to getting into it after IM Augusta.  What's the deal with tires?  Seems like a lot of options out there.  Any advice on PSI?  running clinchers at the moment.

2014-08-25 6:09 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I was at a LBS talking to the owner about what I was looking for in a road/cx bike and he was real high on a new bike coming out soon called the GT Grade.  Any thoughts?  I was thinking specifically about the carbon 105 version. 

http://bicycletimesmag.com/first-ride-new-gt-grade-gravelroadadventure-bike/

2014-08-27 9:13 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

over a barrier
Originally posted by Clempson

Just got my first CX bike.  Looking forward to getting into it after IM Augusta.  What's the deal with tires?  Seems like a lot of options out there.  Any advice on PSI?  running clinchers at the moment.

Clinchers you need to run higher psi so they don't pinch flat when you're hitting roots / concrete lips etc on course. I would start at 40 psi and start to work down...

2014-08-27 9:17 AM

User image

over a barrier
Originally posted by popsracer

I was at a LBS talking to the owner about what I was looking for in a road/cx bike and he was real high on a new bike coming out soon called the GT Grade.  Any thoughts?  I was thinking specifically about the carbon 105 version. 

http://bicycletimesmag.com/first-ride-new-gt-grade-gravelroadadventure-bike/

If you're going disc this seems good. I mainly just look at gearing as the most important factor. 52/36. You'll be racing in the little ring the entire race, 52 is way to big for CX but would help for commuting etc.
2014-09-02 11:52 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Was in the right place at the right time and picked up a Raleigh RXC Pro Disc with Di2.  It was a pro cyclists race bike last year and is so sweet.  I figured I'd put some road tires on it and use it as a road climbing bike (he's had it under 16 lbs.) because I didn't want to wreck it while I learn some cx handling skills but after a day in the park on the trails it was too fun not to use.  Ran into another cx'er practicing and we did some drills with him.

My son and I built a small course in our backyard to practice on.  There is also a weekly group practice in town that starts Wednesday.  Can't wait. 

2014-09-02 12:47 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Also, thought I'd work on my handling skills with a little MTBing.  This isn't my video but we did these trails this weekend.  Some of the best single track riding in the region. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrG-rWRBZ54

Edited by popsracer 2014-09-02 12:49 PM
2014-09-02 4:31 PM

User image

Phoenix AZ
So I'm racing CX for the first time this season...and it looks a lot to me like a CX race is basically a crit in the dirt. Is that far off? I race road, so my aerobic fitness is there, and I've been spending a lot of time on loose, rocky, trails on the mountain bike and gaining a lot of technical proficiency. Apart from that, what can I do to prepare for CX racing?

And I'm still waiting on the delivery of my CX bike...went with the Niner RLT 9 . They call it a gravel grinder, but what I've read suggests it's a cross bike with a "North American" geometry. Hoping it won't handicap me too much vs. bona fide CX rigs (can't afford Niner's dedicated carbon cross bike).
2014-09-03 9:44 AM
in reply to: Bunsbert Montcroff

User image

over a barrier
I think CX has more in common with a mountain bike race.

1. Starts with a group sprint for the hole shot
2. Can take a bit to set up a pass in technical sections
3. Very Punchy - Tons of sprinting out of corners (might have 20 turns a lap)
4. Skill can trump engine

If you get a chance stick around and Watch the A race or Cat 1(23) race. The speed the will carry into turns and the line they take through turns will amaze you. They'll get 3-4 bikes lengths on a novice rider through a turn.

2014-09-03 9:47 AM

User image

over a barrier
Brief race report from the weekend. Went to Wisconsin and raced in the mud. Another low key relay event, kinda pre season.

I don't get a chance to use my mud tires that much and the glue was two years old. Long Story short, I rolled the rear tire and had to run a full lap (no pits on this course). Switched to my file tread for the rest of the race which was like Tokyo Drift in the mud, they don't hook up at all.

Need to reglue my tires this week/next and get ready for Trek Cup in three weeks.
2014-09-03 9:28 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by running2far I think CX has more in common with a mountain bike race. 1. Starts with a group sprint for the hole shot 2. Can take a bit to set up a pass in technical sections 3. Very Punchy - Tons of sprinting out of corners (might have 20 turns a lap) 4. Skill can trump engine If you get a chance stick around and Watch the A race or Cat 1(23) race. The speed the will carry into turns and the line they take through turns will amaze you. They'll get 3-4 bikes lengths on a novice rider through a turn. .

Jr. and our LBS are in the process of building him a CX bike....the whole idea of CX racing for him is increased handling skills.  I've never seen a XC race so I'm looking forward to it and may give it a go myself since we can ride the same size bike.

2014-09-03 11:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Tonight did not go so well at group practice.  Ended up with a 4 inch gash in my thigh, a sore shoulder, and a strained calf.  Large experienced group and my general fitness overstretched my ability to move in a lateral direction.  Guy fell on a barrier run-up, I moved to go around him and this being a non-tri lateral movement that my body is not used to and, pop, my calf just went.  Doh!!!  I tried to be cautious and deliberate with my movements but alas I was a dumbarse.  Quite bummed out as this is going to take time to heal.

2014-09-04 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

If you get a chance stick around and Watch the A race or Cat 1(23) race. The speed the will carry into turns and the line they take through turns will amaze you. They'll get 3-4 bikes lengths on a novice rider through a turn.

Yep. I started last year in CX then crits this summer, and the only MTB racing I've done has had neutral starts. I'd say to describe it as a "crit on dirt" covers the visual, but after that, the differences are pretty stark. The start is everything if you expect to podium in CX. Where a crit can be a somewhat relaxed start, everyone clipping in over a hundred yards or so, a CX start is a hammerfest from the whistle, where you need to be clipped in as soon as you're pedaling. I tried egg beaters, but late in the season switched back to SPDs since they were easier for me to clip in during the start. Once you get through the first turn, things settle down, but then passing is such a challenge, even if you have the power, there just isn't as much room. It also seems there is less in terms of team tactics in CX (unless I was completely oblivious) at least at the Cat 4/5 level.

And I'd love to see someones power file from a CX, and compare that to a crit. Even though crits have spikes, CX seems to have more/bigger spikes.

Tires, tire pressure, and tubeless/tubular vs the course and conditions also is a big deal compared with crits.
2014-09-08 10:01 AM
in reply to: tcj103

User image

over a barrier
Spent Saturday at our team sponsored CX clinic. So sore today. 8 hours of playing CX from lecture, skills, & hot lap or three.

Two weeks till my season officially kicks off. Waiting on some new mud tires to glue up.

If you can stay up late the 'major CX' season gets underway this week on Wed at Interbike in Las Vegas.

Cross Vegas will have Nys and Van Der Haar among others from Europe here. Trebon may not start, sounds like he busted some ribs this weekend.

Coverage streaming here late Wed night

http://www.behindthebarriers.tv/

2014-09-08 12:39 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Thanks for posting the link.  Lots of past races to keep me entertained on the trainer.

I'm healing up faster than I thought.  Had two great rides this weekend and some cx practice in the backyard.  We have some awesome gravel paths in the woods outside of town and took the cx bike out for some gravel grinding and a little bit of hill climbing.  It's been a month since I've been on my tri bike and so far I'm not missing it a bit.  This all is a fun new avenue for cycling.

2014-09-08 3:58 PM

User image

over a barrier
I've been on my TT bike twice in since IMOO 2011

I had to wipe the dust off this year
2014-09-09 11:52 AM

User image

Phoenix AZ

Thanks for the tips! I can see how a CX race with the turns and obstacles would require a little more technical proficiency than a crit, which is just high-intensity laps. Finally got my bike and am loving it - very nimble and responsive. Working on my dismounts (no problem) and remounts (I look like a clumsy moron) in the meantime.

Will be sure to check out the Cat 123s at the races this season, but one more question - are CX races typically like crits, where you can race Cat 5 and then Masters in the same day? Or TTs when you race a 20k early and a 40k a little while later? I imagine that they're short enough to do so. Just wasn't sure if that was a thing.
2014-09-09 12:36 PM
in reply to: Bunsbert Montcroff

User image

over a barrier
Yes, you can double / triple up for races you qualify. It easier in beginner cats as the races are only 30 mins long. You'll feel pretty miserable for 10-15 mins after a race hacking.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross - A magical time of year Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

The cyclocross Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by running2far
Views: 4924 Posts: 38

2014-01-03 12:53 PM MonkeyClaw

Cyclocross Skills discussion

Started by running2far
Views: 2019 Posts: 8

2012-09-02 9:22 PM running2far

Cyclocross race reports Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 10112 Posts: 85

2013-03-20 4:54 PM MonkeyClaw

Cyclocross - The greatest sport ever Videos

Started by running2far
Views: 2560 Posts: 17

2012-08-16 5:18 PM wwhisler

Hey BT, who is doing some CYCLOCROSS?!?!?!?

Started by PeterAK
Views: 2881 Posts: 16

2009-10-21 9:14 AM CHR15 TREE
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Ron
The only worry I had going into it was the swim...I couldn't touch the bottom and there weren't any lines to follow.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Whizzzzz
I was a wreck all week...worried about staying on the bike, as I have a tendency to fall off of it under ideal weather circumstances!

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : August 28, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
What training program is best for you given your background? Is it a Sprint, Olympic or an Ironman Program?