General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross - A magical time of year Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-11-05 1:14 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Subject: RE: Cyclocross - A magical time of year

Originally posted by running2far Just one man's opinion, but I'd pass on tubeless for CX. Too much burping and you don't get the feel of those sweet cotton tubulars. Easy for me to spend your money though

Would you pass on tubeless even with wheels/tires designed for tubeless?  Is there still a lot of burping on those setups?  People are trying to convince me to go tubeless on my current wheels...which are not tubeless designed.  I'm sort of on the fence with that as I do worry about the burping since there isn't a dedicated channel for the tire bead.

2014-11-05 3:22 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

over a barrier
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by running2far Just one man's opinion, but I'd pass on tubeless for CX. Too much burping and you don't get the feel of those sweet cotton tubulars. Easy for me to spend your money though

Would you pass on tubeless even with wheels/tires designed for tubeless?  Is there still a lot of burping on those setups?  People are trying to convince me to go tubeless on my current wheels...which are not tubeless designed.  I'm sort of on the fence with that as I do worry about the burping since there isn't a dedicated channel for the tire bead.

I realize Stans is a big CX sponsor, but I wouldn't go tubless for CX. Tubular is the way to go. Hands down. Tubular have such a better feel which is so important cx

Pick up some Major Toms and glue up some Challenge Tubular like a Grifo or Fango and be done with it.
2014-11-10 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
First weekend of racing on the new tubeless wheel setup; Stan's no tubes ZTR Crest wheels (a mountain XC rim) and Maaxis Mud Wrestler tire, (TR) specifically made for tubeless applications.

The shop that built them has a lot of experience with tubeless, mainly in MTB applications, but CX isn't a lot different, mainly the smaller volume of the tire makes burping more critical.

Some things I've learned along the way with tubeless:

1. Converting wheels to tubeless is more than sealing the holes up; the tape is there to also build up a platform for the bead to stay sealed to if it starts to roll over. Having the rim made specifically to be tubeless allows for that part of the tape to not be needed.
2. The combination of rim and tire model make a big difference on reliability. Found out that WTB makes a cross tire, with "TCS" as a label; Tubeless Compatible System" seems like it would work. Nope, it's even on the Stan's help page; Hutchinson Tubeless tires are also on their "do not use" list.
3. Maaxis tires require non-ammonia sealant (voids the warranty), which Stan's sealant uses. So they used Orange Seal (brand and color).
4. There is some ongoing maintenance needed that tubes don't require; after a few months the sealant will dry up and will need to be refreshed.
5. Getting a tubeless on/off a tire is a lot more work than tubes since the bead needs to be tight on the inside of the rim (see #1 above) otherwise burping will be a problem.

I have about 50 miles on the wheels (15 with tubes and old tires, since the tubeless tires weren't in initially so we threw tubes in with the old tires)

So 35 miles of mostly off road, with three races, where two were pretty rough on wheels. Of about 10 friends that I know raced, three flatted (all tubes)

And these things were BOMB PROOF! I felt the front wheel bottom out several times at the bottom of a big, steep descent that had a lot roots and rocks. This course (Sly Fox, Pottstown, PA) was a mountain bikers course when in the woods. Dropped the chain through there a couple times, just from vibration.

Now I'm not the biggest guy (165 lbs) and I'm generally pretty easy on tires, but I also took these down to pressures I have never run tubes at; about 28 on the front, 30 on the rear.

Rolling resistance along with smoothness seems better (though it's hard to quantify), but I definitely feel like they take a lot more abuse than the tubed setup.

Haven't had a chance to go over the wheels since yesterdays races, but as of last night they still had air in them.

2015-01-28 3:39 PM

User image

Roswell
After years of saying "I wanna" I pulled the trigger on a used Cross bike on eBay and started learning. First day in the park in my neighborhood revealed that I have a lot to learn indeed. My wife picked up a CX-9 and we are STOKED to hit it this fall. So far, what we have done is a hoot!! And it is one heck of a workout!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross - A magical time of year Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

The cyclocross Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by running2far
Views: 4920 Posts: 38

2014-01-03 12:53 PM MonkeyClaw

Cyclocross Skills discussion

Started by running2far
Views: 2017 Posts: 8

2012-09-02 9:22 PM running2far

Cyclocross race reports Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 10103 Posts: 85

2013-03-20 4:54 PM MonkeyClaw

Cyclocross - The greatest sport ever Videos

Started by running2far
Views: 2550 Posts: 17

2012-08-16 5:18 PM wwhisler

Hey BT, who is doing some CYCLOCROSS?!?!?!?

Started by PeterAK
Views: 2879 Posts: 16

2009-10-21 9:14 AM CHR15 TREE
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Ron
The only worry I had going into it was the swim...I couldn't touch the bottom and there weren't any lines to follow.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Whizzzzz
I was a wreck all week...worried about staying on the bike, as I have a tendency to fall off of it under ideal weather circumstances!

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : August 28, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
What training program is best for you given your background? Is it a Sprint, Olympic or an Ironman Program?