General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross - A magical time of year Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-09-09 1:35 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Cyclocross - A magical time of year
Here is a great example of technique (better cornering, setting up the next turn etc) from Colin (founder of crossresults.com) Check out the gaps he is opening around the 7:30 mark

http://vimeo.com/78597888

2014-09-09 3:56 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by running2far Here is a great example of technique (better cornering, setting up the next turn etc) from Colin (founder of crossresults.com) Check out the gaps he is opening around the 7:30 mark http://vimeo.com/78597888[/QUOTE

He road some nice lines.  Good lessons

2014-09-09 4:55 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Sensei
Sin City

They are setting up a course in the park next door to my office as I write this.  I need to check the schedule and see if I can't get over to watch a few events...

http://www.crossvegas.com/25/index.php

2014-09-10 9:53 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

over a barrier
Originally posted by Kido

They are setting up a course in the park next door to my office as I write this.  I need to check the schedule and see if I can't get over to watch a few events...

http://www.crossvegas.com/25/index.php

Watching Nys race alone is worth it. Vegas so a power course but still worth it to watch the masters. May be the last time he races in the US, I think next year is the retirement.
2014-09-10 3:35 PM

User image

over a barrier
2014-09-12 2:14 PM

User image

running2far...do you know generally how CX bikes should fit.  Unfortunately nobody really keeps CX bikes in stock locally so I can't really try them out.  I have a 50 cm CAAD10, and am looking at a CAADX.  The 48cm CAADX seems to have a very similar geometry to the CAAD10, but I'm not sure if that's what I should be looking for.  Any advice?

I think one of the mechanics has a SuperX in either 48 or 50, so maybe I could ask to take that for a spin.  I know he rides a size 50 Evo which I have borrowed before.

2014-09-15 9:03 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
The consensus seems to be to go on the small side for a frame. You're going to mount/dismount the bike several times in a race, and will also be carrying it over the barriers. The smaller frames are easier to do all that with.

I think you're also sitting up a bit more than a road bike (at least my road race bike which is pretty aggressive). I think this is because you want less weight on the front wheel, since it has no suspension, your arms become the suspension.
2014-09-16 6:32 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

got my first race tomorrow.  i've only ridden my cross bike a few times on some technical single track through the woods and in some grass fields; about 60 miles total.  i did make a point to practice mount/dismount quite a bit and found the faster i am running when i attempt it the better it works. 

2014-09-16 9:52 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

over a barrier
Originally posted by Jason N

running2far...do you know generally how CX bikes should fit.  Unfortunately nobody really keeps CX bikes in stock locally so I can't really try them out.  I have a 50 cm CAAD10, and am looking at a CAADX.  The 48cm CAADX seems to have a very similar geometry to the CAAD10, but I'm not sure if that's what I should be looking for.  Any advice?

I think one of the mechanics has a SuperX in either 48 or 50, so maybe I could ask to take that for a spin.  I know he rides a size 50 Evo which I have borrowed before.

I personally ride the same size frame on Road (Scott) and CX (Blue) - 56.

I've never ridden a cannondale, sorry. Toe overlap and stand over height could be an issue when deciding between a smaller or larger frame.

2014-09-16 12:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by running2far
Originally posted by Jason N

I personally ride the same size frame on Road (Scott) and CX (Blue) - 56. I've never ridden a cannondale, sorry. Toe overlap and stand over height could be an issue when deciding between a smaller or larger frame.

to add to that here is what I found about frame size selection: http://cycle-smart.com/drupal/sites/default/files/articles/secretsetup_1.pdf

Edited by Clempson 2014-09-16 12:00 PM
2014-09-17 2:36 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

over a barrier
Originally posted by Clempson

got my first race tomorrow.  i've only ridden my cross bike a few times on some technical single track through the woods and in some grass fields; about 60 miles total.  i did make a point to practice mount/dismount quite a bit and found the faster i am running when i attempt it the better it works. 

Good luck today!

2014-09-17 2:44 PM

User image

over a barrier
2014-09-17 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by running2far [Good luck today!

Thanks! Ended up finishing second with a flat for the last bit of the race.  Course was a 1 mile loop that was pretty flat and mostly grass with a few fast dirt sections.  My only goal was to not hit the deck on the barriers or while trying to mount the bike.  Hit the ground on the very first barrier of the very first lap which happened to be near the start/finish line where everyone was watching, but at least I got it out of the way early haha

Next one is in two weeks

2014-09-17 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

cool link, everyone tonight was talking about Sven, figured it would be good to check him out too

2014-09-22 8:30 AM

User image

over a barrier
Raced this weekend at Trek Cup. Powers won both races this weekend w/ big gaps

Sat - Cat 2/3 - DNF Rolled back tire and broken front derailleur . Broke the derailleur in warmup, hit a stake on an off camber, rushed over to neutral support to move it out of the way of my pedal for the race. Lined up...raced two laps and rolled my freshly glued back tire off. (Didn't wait 24 hrs, my fault).

Sun - Masters 35+ Cat 123

Didn't brake anything, got my arse handed to me. Pretty much off the back after 2 laps

Its gonna be a long season....no real training this summer/fall.
2014-09-25 3:17 PM

User image

over a barrier
Anyone struggling with their barrier technique? A friend got me on camera last night warming up on the barriers. Some tips:

1. Set up early, the earlier you set up the faster you can enter the barriers.
2. Three points of contact BEFORE the dismount. Left hand is on the left hood, right hand is already grabbing the top with an overhand grip, and lastly the saddle is firm against the hip. This always me to only take the two steps max before jumping. If you delay grabbing the top tube, you risk catching the front wheel on the barrier and popping it up (bye bye chain)
3. Remount. Place the bike down firmly so the chain stays on the bike and the back end of the bike doesn't bounce around.
4. Run until you feel the bike is "In control" I always take five steps.
5. Land on the inner thigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAMudqAjiO0

The video is vertical and crappy but you get the idea.

Racing Sunday in the Cat 3 and Cat 123 race.

2014-09-26 7:05 PM

User image

Thanks for the the tips.  Can't watch it here but once my bike comes in (went with a CAADX), I imagine I'll be practicing a lot at a nearby park.  

2014-09-29 8:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

over a barrier
Staged 82nd / 100 in Sundays race and finished 85th. Way to much peddling for no fitness, there was a 2 min power section that would open up gaps and would take me the entire lap to close down. Repeat for 45 mins and its too much, lost the group of 6 of so I should have been racing with...

DNS 123 race, was gassed. too much peddling

Here is a drone highlight video

http://vimeo.com/107455636

Edited by running2far 2014-09-29 9:22 AM
2014-09-30 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Cool video! Drones are awesome (unless they're aiming a Hellfire at you)

Town Hall Cross, started in the second to last row with about 100 starters, ended up 32nd in the cat 4/5. Not sure how I passed that many people, I think at the start there was a crash that split up the field, and I missed that. There were also some wider sections where you could pick people off pretty easy if you had the speed.

The winner started back with me, a mountain biker who just started with CX. I think I remember him passing me. Will probably be upgrading soon.

The course favored steady power, there was a long climb with switchbacks that you could just kind of grind out if you had the legs.
2014-09-30 10:29 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

awesome video!  I have to bail on my race tomorrow :/  still recovering from IM Augusta this past Sunday.  I crushed it so I don't feel too bad... Boyd Cycling (the wheel company) has private invite only CX clinics I've gotten an invite too so I hope to get out there weekly this off season. 

2014-10-07 9:12 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

over a barrier
Video from the series last Sunday

http://vimeo.com/108213279

Meh, I think I was 79th or so in the Cat 3's. Monster pile up at the start with about 10 DNF that only rode about 20 metets. I think around 93 started.

2014-10-07 1:32 PM

User image

over a barrier
Go pro action of the Cat 3 pile up in our starting grid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpAB3utRrEI&feature=youtu.be

i was staged left and slide by barely
2014-10-21 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
So, any opinions on tubeless? Currently running clinchers on the OEM wheels, which are not that great. Getting some wheels built on Stans Iron Cross rims.

Read anything from love'em to hate'em, seems to based a lot on the specific hoop/tire combination as far as how well they hold air and resist burping.

My second year racing CX, and definitely getting faster over barriers. Still working on getting through tight sections faster.
2014-10-27 11:36 AM

User image

Had my first CX experience on Saturday.  What a blast.  It was an unofficial race...basically about a mile long loop through a park that wasn't too technical but a few short climbs and 4 barriers all on the uphills to keep things a bit safer.  My dismounts and remounts were actually pretty good considering...just wasn't used to the effort level required and went a bit too hard in the beginning.  Ended up finishing somewhere in the middle about where I expected to be given the guys I knew who showed up who can kick my on the road...and a few guys who looked liked they specialized in mountain biking.  Next race in 2 weeks...can't wait.

2014-11-04 1:08 PM
in reply to: tcj103

User image

over a barrier
Just one man's opinion, but I'd pass on tubeless for CX. Too much burping and you don't get the feel of those sweet cotton tubulars. Easy for me to spend your money though

I pulled the plug on my season. Really haven't ridden my bike in months and was just showing up to race. Doesn't cut in the C123. Was gettingdestoryed.

Little drama over the weekend with the Golden Palace team. Rider was DQ'd and fined but really should have been 80% and pulled.

http://cyclocosm.com/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross - A magical time of year Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

The cyclocross Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by running2far
Views: 4924 Posts: 38

2014-01-03 12:53 PM MonkeyClaw

Cyclocross Skills discussion

Started by running2far
Views: 2019 Posts: 8

2012-09-02 9:22 PM running2far

Cyclocross race reports Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 10111 Posts: 85

2013-03-20 4:54 PM MonkeyClaw

Cyclocross - The greatest sport ever Videos

Started by running2far
Views: 2559 Posts: 17

2012-08-16 5:18 PM wwhisler

Hey BT, who is doing some CYCLOCROSS?!?!?!?

Started by PeterAK
Views: 2881 Posts: 16

2009-10-21 9:14 AM CHR15 TREE
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Ron
The only worry I had going into it was the swim...I couldn't touch the bottom and there weren't any lines to follow.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Whizzzzz
I was a wreck all week...worried about staying on the bike, as I have a tendency to fall off of it under ideal weather circumstances!

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : August 28, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
What training program is best for you given your background? Is it a Sprint, Olympic or an Ironman Program?