General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Peak Week Blues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-21 12:03 PM

User image

Lexington, Kentucky
Subject: Peak Week Blues
I'm currently half way through week 15 of a 20 week 70.3 plan. This is my peak week and quite frankly I'm feeling a little cooked.

My plan calls for a 2 hour ride today and due to weather I will attempt on my KICKR w/Trainer Road. [Mount Goode]

My question is this....am I better to attempt the workout as planned and do as much of the workout as I can (maybe to completion) or back off the intensity and complete the entire ride?

I'm not sure I have (3) 15 minute 95% FTP intervals in me today and I thought I might attempt 4 at 82%.

Thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome.

2014-08-21 12:05 PM
in reply to: toadbra

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
Subject: RE: Peak Week Blues

These are the days I feel I gain the most- mentally- which is a huge part of distance training. Eat well, hydrate well and push through as much as you can would be my advice- for whatever thats worth

2014-08-21 12:19 PM
in reply to: jbjboc

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jbjboc

These are the days I feel I gain the most- mentally- which is a huge part of distance training. Eat well, hydrate well and push through as much as you can would be my advice- for whatever thats worth

x2.  I found that once I started, I was able to surprise myself and actually manage the whole workout.  Breaking it into pieces helped me mentally too.  I'd tell myself I was only going to x amount, then I'd reach that point and think I made it that far so I might as well try to do more.  Then sure enough, I'd finish and feel better about myself for doing so.  That being said, there were also days when I just couldn't do it mentally or physically and I'd quit early.  I'd try not to be too hard on myself (big challenge!) and remind myself that at least I did *something*.

Hang in there.  You can do this.  Only 5 weeks to go and soon enough you'll be tapering and going crazy from that!

2014-08-21 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by toadbra I'm currently half way through week 15 of a 20 week 70.3 plan. This is my peak week and quite frankly I'm feeling a little cooked. My plan calls for a 2 hour ride today and due to weather I will attempt on my KICKR w/Trainer Road. [Mount Goode] My question is this....am I better to attempt the workout as planned and do as much of the workout as I can (maybe to completion) or back off the intensity and complete the entire ride? I'm not sure I have (3) 15 minute 95% FTP intervals in me today and I thought I might attempt 4 at 82%. Thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome.

Trust your plan.  It's gotten you this far.

2014-08-21 6:39 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
No advice because I'm in about the same spot.... I'm on week 13 and dreading the next two weeks... I'm just curious what race you are training for since we live right down the road from each other and are in about the same spot of our 70.3 plan!
2014-08-22 8:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks for the motivation guys.

Believe it or not I nailed my workout and even added a brick run afterward!

I was feeling SO mentally cooked that I didn't believe I could manage it. Once I started, I soon found my groove and am happy I didn't give up!

As a self coached athlete, I rarely seek out motivation from others. 99.9% of my training has been done alone and I'm very disciplined about what I need to accomplish.

I guess I was having my own sort of pity party yesterday and wanted to say thanks for the words of encouragement!

Todd

Edited by toadbra 2014-08-22 8:02 AM

2014-08-22 8:09 AM

Glad to see you were able to get through your workout. It's pretty normal to feel that way during you biggest training block before your taper. Knowing there is that light at the end of the tunnel usually helps you get through it. If you had said you felt this way at, say, week 8 of a 20 week plan, that would be a red flag to me.
2014-08-22 10:48 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by toadbra Thanks for the motivation guys. Believe it or not I nailed my workout and even added a brick run afterward! I was feeling SO mentally cooked that I didn't believe I could manage it. Once I started, I soon found my groove and am happy I didn't give up! As a self coached athlete, I rarely seek out motivation from others. 99.9% of my training has been done alone and I'm very disciplined about what I need to accomplish. I guess I was having my own sort of pity party yesterday and wanted to say thanks for the words of encouragement! Todd

Awesome!

I can't tell you how many times recently I've skipped the bike because I convinced myself its just too hot & humid in the garage (this is FL hot period of the year).  Time for this self coached athlete to balls up and just get it done too...

2014-08-22 11:37 AM

User image

Pro

as another option.  What if you took a rest day, and then did today's workout tomorrow?

Frankly, I don't know if it's better to throw a hard workout at tired muscles, beat them down more, and not quite achieve the intensity that the plan calls for.

OR

Allow some additional recovery time and then nail the workout.

My guess is that since this is a peak training week for you, then yes- you should feel beat down.  If next week is an off week, or a swim focussed week- then perhaps it will all work out in your favor.  But- don't discount you knowing your body and how it feels- better than the guy who wrote the training plan.  I've overtrained enough times... and have gotten injured enough times because of it- to know that it's better to err on the 'less' side, as consistency is what gets you to the finish line the fastest.

In the end, i say 'go for it'.  Crank those 95% FTP intervals at 105%.  Work hard, rest well and repeat.  How would you know your limits, unless you exceeded them from time to time.  (which has been my mantra)

2014-08-22 11:53 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I was there. I started training too heavy before the start of my 20 week so by the time I reached my peak hours on the free 70.3 beginner plan I was burnt out for sure.

It honestly skipped a good amount of workouts and had 2 rest weeks for mental recovery. Keep in mind I carried a pretty good base and felt confident I could race the 70.3 distance at this point very close to or at my goal time.

I raced 70.3 Lake Stevens last Sunday and had a very successful day. Trust your plan but listen to your body more. If it feels you need a day off take it. After hours and hours of training a few missed workouts won't sabotage your race day. Resting/recovery hours are better than junk hours in my mind.
2014-08-22 12:05 PM
in reply to: morey000

Originally posted by morey000

as another option.  What if you took a rest day, and then did today's workout tomorrow?

Frankly, I don't know if it's better to throw a hard workout at tired muscles, beat them down more, and not quite achieve the intensity that the plan calls for.

OR

Allow some additional recovery time and then nail the workout.

My guess is that since this is a peak training week for you, then yes- you should feel beat down.  If next week is an off week, or a swim focussed week- then perhaps it will all work out in your favor.  But- don't discount you knowing your body and how it feels- better than the guy who wrote the training plan.  I've overtrained enough times... and have gotten injured enough times because of it- to know that it's better to err on the 'less' side, as consistency is what gets you to the finish line the fastest.

In the end, i say 'go for it'.  Crank those 95% FTP intervals at 105%.  Work hard, rest well and repeat.  How would you know your limits, unless you exceeded them from time to time.  (which has been my mantra)

The important thing to remember is that there is a difference between testing your limits and ignoring them. Much like the fine line between being tough and being stupid. It a delicate, but important distinction

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Peak Week Blues Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

8 week Oly peak training plan

Started by krash478
Views: 872 Posts: 5

2013-05-09 8:55 PM Ron

peak training week after B race

Started by tallvinny
Views: 437 Posts: 3

2011-09-13 6:36 PM tallvinny

Hating training when you in your peak weeks

Started by Flying Kiwi
Views: 1066 Posts: 13

2011-08-09 10:30 AM blbriley

Survived peak week

Started by Beej
Views: 741 Posts: 6

2010-10-11 4:00 PM Beej

Marathon training/peak week prior to race

Started by brynn
Views: 1247 Posts: 14

2010-03-04 2:34 PM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : March 15, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How do you train for an A-race that is six months away? How do you peak for multiple A-races?
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.