General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Setting a new goal Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-22 3:07 PM

Subject: Setting a new goal
Just a little about me,

In April of 2012 at 36 years old I weighted over 275. I had gotten to the point where I didn't even want to step on the scale for fear of what it might say. With a family history of heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes, I knew I had to do something. I started on weight watchers and quickly dropped a few pounds. I started feeling good about myself. After the first 30 pounds I started looking to add some cardio to complement my diet and started running. I HATED running, but I kept going. I signed up for a 5k in the fall of 2012 and after I finished it, I told my brother in law, that was the hardest thing I had ever done. But there was something about the atmosphere and the sense of community that inspired me to keep going. Soon I had signed up for a 10k and I started to enjoy running. As the miles and pounds flew by I started feeling like I could do anything! Almost a year to the day after starting my diet, I completed a half marathon and loved it. I have since ran three half marathons and trained for two marathons but both we canceled due to weather (St. Jude in Memphis and got pulled off the course at mile 18 in Little Rock). So, a buddy and I ran 26.2 one Saturday just to say we did it. All together I have lost over 80 pounds and feel great!

The key for me was to set a goal and work to achieve it. I have been doing crossfit and love the workouts but I have really grown to enjoy endurance sports. I have decided that I want to give triathlon a try. I think it would be cool to finish an Ironman by the time I turn 40 (two years). I am volunteering this weekend at a local triathlon and I plan to go watch another one next weekend. Hopefully, I will get a chance to meet some people locally who can help show me the ropes and talk to about the sport. The running community here is the best and I would expect no less from the tri community. At this point all I have is my running gear and access to a pool at the University where I work. I figure I can do spin classes until I can afford a bike and work on swimming and running. I know I have a long way to go but I am looking forward to the challenge!

Craig

2014-08-23 9:26 AM
in reply to: real_mccoy

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Setting a new goal

Welcome, Craig!

Congrats on your weight loss and fitness progress!!  The tri community is really great and you'll find lots of others here with similar stories.  One option for bikes is to get a used road bike rather than going all in on something expensive to start with.  I was able to get a good used bike for $550 that would have been ~$1,500 new.  Do some research, check out craigslist, and ask around at local bike shops.  Some may sell used bikes or know of somebody who's looking to sell theirs.

Keep up the good work!

2014-08-23 3:00 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Subject: RE: Setting a new goal
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. The bike is definitely going to be a challenge money wise. There is just no money right now for a $1000+ bike. But I know there are several good used ones out there.
I really feel like I scored today. The race I volunteered at, had me working the around the transition area and I got to see all that goes into it. I got the chance to meet a lot of people and learned so much. I am just going to watch and cheer the race next weekend and hopefully make some more connections.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Setting a new goal Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HELP I want to set goals!

Started by aspiringtrigirl
Views: 655 Posts: 4

2005-12-08 2:19 PM McFuzz

Set the goal!

Started by bippy227
Views: 780 Posts: 6

2005-08-11 3:39 PM bippy227

I'm new and I needed a big goal

Started by amanda110
Views: 1084 Posts: 7

2005-04-20 5:34 PM Gavan Anderson

Setting an achievable goal

Started by Alibaba
Views: 1053 Posts: 5

2003-11-05 2:14 AM Chris Tree

Set a big goal...now I need big help

Started by Irongirl
Views: 1485 Posts: 11

2003-10-08 10:22 PM Irongirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.
date : April 8, 2010
author : Team BT
Create goals to help you train and lose weight. Our logger will automatically update your goals.

date : March 20, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Making goals achievable is an important part of reaching our end goal. Also, having a bar that is set high is important, so we are always striving for something better.
date : January 29, 2006
author : mikericci
Setting goals for your triathlon season is important if you want to improve upon where you are and how you raced last year.

date : March 3, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 1
Configure your log settings to get the most out of your training log.
date : January 10, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
It's great to have goals, but by itself, a goal is not much. Have you ever shared with someone else that you would “try” to accomplish a goal?

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them