General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So...how bad is it to miss peak week? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-22 9:44 PM

User image

Subject: So...how bad is it to miss peak week?
I have some medical issues that come up from time to time. Sometimes I'm fine and sometimes I'm not. Things got bad the past 2 weeks or so and I ended up skipping a lot of work outs, including my 3 hour/20 mile run last week and most of my workouts this week (first week of taper). I started a new med and I'm feeling a million times better but am a little concerned about race time now. I plan to do my 4 hour ride tomorrow and 2 hour run Sunday (along with a sprint tri) but I know not peaking correctly is going to hurt me. My goal is a sub-11 hour IM but I really don't see that happening now. I'm not going to rule it out but I need to be realistic with myself and that I missed a lot of key workouts. I don't feel too bad about missing them since yesterday things got so bad I almost went to the ER but none-the-less I'm still kicking myself for missing them....because that's what triathletes do. Any thoughts?

2014-08-22 10:32 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: So...how bad is it to miss peak week?

How long is your taper?  When is the race?  Do you really need a taper if you just basically got two weeks of "rest?"

2014-08-22 10:50 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Race is in ~2 weeks. (Sept 7th). The only thing I did this week was lifted, swam ~5,500yds, and biked for 45 mins (48 TSS). I plan to go out pretty hard tomorrow on the ride and pretty much do SS and V02Max intervals until I can't take it and then do Z2 to finish it off. Sunday I have a sprint tri and I'll run ~13 miles after that to equal 2 hours of running. Next week I have 11.5 hours planned (with long ride = 2 hours and long run = 1 hour)
2014-08-23 12:17 AM

Regular
Do NOT try to make it up. Your conditioning is based on what you have done over the last 6 months or even over the last 6 years. One week will not make nor break you. Relax, taper as planned, then execute your race plan intelligently. Remember, this is supposed to be fun!!
2014-08-23 6:46 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

How long is your taper?  When is the race?  Do you really need a taper if you just basically got two weeks of "rest?"

^^^This^^^  If you're following a plan that had a 2 week taper, it assumes that you're completing the majority of the training, and are carrying a lot of fatigue at this point.  Since you didn't, and assuming your medical issue doesn't leave you compromised, you don't need as long of a taper.  In that situation, and again making several assumptions on my part, I'd suggest a good week of training, then about a week of tapering.  If you've done the training over the last few months, this should have minimal impact on your race.

2014-08-23 6:56 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by TriMyBest

^^^This^^^  If you're following a plan that had a 2 week taper, it assumes that you're completing the majority of the training, and are carrying a lot of fatigue at this point.  Since you didn't, and assuming your medical issue doesn't leave you compromised, you don't need as long of a taper.  In that situation, and again making several assumptions on my part, I'd suggest a good week of training, then about a week of tapering.  If you've done the training over the last few months, this should have minimal impact on your race.

Agreed and I would also suggest that now is not the time to be doing any Z5 (VO2max) work that was described.

Shane

2014-08-23 7:36 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by gsmacleod

Agreed and I would also suggest that now is not the time to be doing any Z5 (VO2max) work that was described. Shane

I was thinking the exact thing about the Z5 work during an IM-specific build, but I've gotten flamed too many times for commenting on things that weren't asked.  

2014-08-23 9:10 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by gsmacleod

Agreed and I would also suggest that now is not the time to be doing any Z5 (VO2max) work that was described. Shane

I was thinking the exact thing about the Z5 work during an IM-specific build, but I've gotten flamed too many times for commenting on things that weren't asked.  

I feel one subject here has been dismissed a bit though it is more applicable to short course racing then IM.

Peak weeks are important for a peak performance. Will missing 2 peak weeks limit you from finishing? Probably not, will you get the full training load for a peak performance, unlikely. In short-course racing this is where you really dial in that speed. You know if you really want to be fast, that is the "icing on the cake" so to speak. In long-course racing you are not really looking to be fast, but minimize the amount of time you slow down. Those peak weeks are structured a bit differently. But with IM racing you have built such a massive base for race day through your previous training, that those 2 peak weeks are not as important as they are in short-course racing. What I am trying to say is that you won't leave as much on the table missing those 2 weeks in long-course racing versus short-course racing.
2014-08-23 12:52 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Ok, so up the volume a little this week then? Today I did a sprint tri. Nothing like waking up getting a msg from the RD saying "The triathlon is still on today"....thinking it was tomorrow. I did that (got a flat and lost my 2 spares so it was a nice 4 mile walk back to start).

My plans today are a 2 hour run (14-15 miles depending on how I feel in this 95 degree heat), a 4 hour ride tomorrow with a lot of SS + Z2 work in there. Skipping V02Max intervals (I know it's somewhat pointless for an IM plan this late but can't hurt ). I had planned for 11.5 hours this week, should I up it to say... 14 or so and then just rest the week before the IM?
2014-08-23 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by Blastman Ok, so up the volume a little this week then? Today I did a sprint tri. Nothing like waking up getting a msg from the RD saying "The triathlon is still on today"....thinking it was tomorrow. I did that (got a flat and lost my 2 spares so it was a nice 4 mile walk back to start). My plans today are a 2 hour run (14-15 miles depending on how I feel in this 95 degree heat), a 4 hour ride tomorrow with a lot of SS + Z2 work in there. Skipping V02Max intervals (I know it's somewhat pointless for an IM plan this late but can't hurt ). I had planned for 11.5 hours this week, should I up it to say... 14 or so and then just rest the week before the IM?

Resting is different than tapering... The presumption in tapering is that you decrease the length of training, but maintain the intensity (which for IM should mainly be Z1-2) and frequency, until the 2-3 days before the race. Those should have 1-2 days completely off, then (say on Friday when you arrive in Madison) about 20 minutes of each discipline to simply loosen up and make sure your bike made the trip OK and is put back together correctly. I've gone through a number of good training weeks and others like yours, where work and family life conspire to prevent me from getting out. I won't need a 2 week taper, but won't be doing mega-miles this week either.

2014-08-23 10:55 PM
in reply to: riltri

User image

Pro

Originally posted by riltri Do NOT try to make it up. Your conditioning is based on what you have done over the last 6 months or even over the last 6 years. One week will not make nor break you. Relax, taper as planned, then execute your race plan intelligently. Remember, this is supposed to be fun!!

And this ^^^

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So...how bad is it to miss peak week? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I pooped, peaked or plateau(ed)?

Started by RedShoes
Views: 835 Posts: 10

2012-04-17 3:57 PM xine2kgts

Am I missing anything Pages: 1 2

Started by kproudfoot
Views: 1754 Posts: 34

2007-12-04 2:59 PM kproudfoot

Am I missing anything for my 1st TRI??? Pages: 1 2

Started by houston-tri-mama
Views: 1544 Posts: 30