General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Helmet Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-23 6:58 AM

User image

Subject: Bike Helmet Question
What exactly is the difference between a $30 helmet and a $200 helmet?

I have a run of the mill, bought on Amazon inexpensive Giro bike helmet. As I was waiting for to pick up my bike at the shop yesterday, I was browsing the helmets and got sticker shock - they were all aero helmets, but some were more like $60 and some were well over $200.

I'm not ever going to win a race so I'm not really in the market for buying an aero helmet (I don't think it will make a massive difference in times for me haha) but I'm just curious how two helmets that appear to be very similar have such a price differential.

2014-08-23 12:14 PM
in reply to: ginger1981

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Bike Helmet Question

All helmets should have a CPSC approval sticker which means it complies with safety standards.  So in theory, a $40 helmet will protect you as well as a $400 helmet.

The price difference can be due to ventilation design, materials, weight, color scheme or branding snobbery (i.e., Wal-Mart vs. Giro).

I normally buy mid-range Bell or Giro road helmets, often when I can get them on sale. 

I'm a bit conservative, so I buy a new helmet about every three years to allow for any degradation of the materials in the helmet.  I'll keep the old helmet as a back-up in case something happens to my primary helmet.

Mark

2014-09-11 7:29 AM

There are some helmets out there that have price tags around $400! That is a LOT to spend on a helmet to me
2014-09-11 4:13 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by RedCorvette

All helmets should have a CPSC approval sticker which means it complies with safety standards.  So in theory, a $40 helmet will protect you as well as a $400 helmet.

The price difference can be due to ventilation design, materials, weight, color scheme or branding snobbery (i.e., Wal-Mart vs. Giro).

I normally buy mid-range Bell or Giro road helmets, often when I can get them on sale. 

I'm a bit conservative, so I buy a new helmet about every three years to allow for any degradation of the materials in the helmet.  I'll keep the old helmet as a back-up in case something happens to my primary helmet.

Mark 

Something to note on the first line is that they have to meet or exceed the same level of safety, but that does not mean they will protect the same. No way to tell on price point alone if one or the other will protect better. Just know that they will all meet the minimum. All the other differences are certainly there, but you don't have to spend several hundred to get a decently comfortable and ventilated helmet, so mid-level on sale is a great way to be value conscious. It's also the aero helmets that tend to push the higher prices too.

2014-09-11 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
I tried on a department store helmet out of curiosity. The straps dug into the back of my head. I also noticed it didn't contour my head as well as my helmet. Some helmets favor people with rounder heads; other fit oval headed people better. That's not a $40 vs $400 difference, that's a brand thing like Nike vs Adidas.
2014-09-12 9:20 AM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
A lot of the hard core roadies I know are on their bikes 15+ hours a week. You can justify spending a lot more money on something that you're wearing that much. They look for comfort, fit, aero, ventilation, style & color......I think the assumption is that almost all road helmets provide about the same level of protection.

2014-11-05 8:13 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

Every helmet sold in the US has to pass the same safety standards to so they'll all protect your head. Cost usually increases as weight decreases and ventilation increases
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Helmet Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

mtn bike vs road bike helmet?

Started by Moonrocket
Views: 939 Posts: 7

2012-02-02 9:18 PM morey000

Helmet question

Started by jmk-brooklyn
Views: 453 Posts: 1

2007-07-27 9:57 PM jmk-brooklyn

Helmet Question

Started by joker_morgan
Views: 708 Posts: 6

2006-07-26 9:09 AM Matchman

Bike helmet questions

Started by Micawber
Views: 815 Posts: 4

2005-01-25 7:41 PM Hawkeye

Helmet Question

Started by huskyboy
Views: 748 Posts: 3

2004-11-12 2:03 PM huskyboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.
date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
A few things to keep in mind.