General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3rd Triathlon Completed, flat tire achievement, and new bike (P3) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-23 8:25 PM

User image

Subject: 3rd Triathlon Completed, flat tire achievement, and new bike (P3)
Hello; just checking in my 3rd sprint tri!
My wife sucked me into this madness a few months ago...and we have hit up 3 sprint triathlons in the past 3 months.

Today was my first open water swim (500 Meters), and my first time receiving a glorious flat tire. I am glad i got the first open water swim nerves out of the way, and I was totally unprepared to change out a flat tube on my own. I ended up walking quite a bit to a safe area, and then waited for help to arrive. I was grateful the race representative was so nice and changed out my tube fairly quickly.
Although I lost ~ 15 minutes in the process I proceeded to complete the rest of the race as if i was never delayed & still had a great time doing so.

Oh, i have to mention that three months ago I was introduced to road bikes for the first time...borrowed a friend's road bike for my first tri, and then picked up a 2014 cervelo P3 for the last tri. I was on the border of road bike vs tri bike for a bit...but i am super glad i ended up with the tri bike...i find it super comfortable, and look forward to gradually adding more and more length to my rides.
It was exhillerating today to be able to use the smallest gear up front and biggest gear in back for a climb and then change to the bigger gear up front and shift all the way to the smallest gear in rear for the decent. Had a big grin as I hit my new high speed max of 33MPH!

(IMG_20140823_184732_zps148815bd.JPG)

(IMG_20140823_103923_zpsbbed5115.JPG)

(IMG_20140823_200933_zpsce54284e.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20140823_184732_zps148815bd.JPG (1961KB - 12 downloads)
IMG_20140823_103923_zpsbbed5115.JPG (1103KB - 4 downloads)
IMG_20140823_200933_zpsce54284e.JPG (80KB - 6 downloads)

2014-08-23 8:31 PM
in reply to: Unicron

User image

Subject: RE: 3rd Triathlon Completed, flat tire achievement, and new bike (P3)
we will be busy preparing for a move, so no events scheduled anytime soon.
But will be still be training to better prepare. I am also brand spanking new to competative swimming, and wow; it has surpised me on how techincal it actually is!
I am also dealing with kicking an IT band problem. So will be working the rehab strength training as much as i can + speed work. Wish me luck!
2014-08-25 10:43 AM

User image

I am wondering now...do most of you carry flat repair kits even in sprint triathlons?

Your time is out the window if you do get a flat...but I guess it depends if the race supports flat repair personnel and/or if you rather wait around for help or be able to swap it out quickly on your own?
2014-08-25 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Unicron I am wondering now...do most of you carry flat repair kits even in sprint triathlons? Your time is out the window if you do get a flat...but I guess it depends if the race supports flat repair personnel and/or if you rather wait around for help or be able to swap it out quickly on your own?

Congrats on the race and the awesome new bike!

As far as flat repair goes it really depends on your goal for the race. For people who do a lot of racing and are near the front of the pack they may choose to not carry flat repair stuff as the time lost will ruin their race and they likely have another race the next weekend anyway so they are not concerned with just finishing. Others may want to finish the race no matter what so they will choose to carry flat repair items. 

For longer distance stuff most people will carry flat repair tools. Personally, I always carry stuff to fix a flat.

2014-08-25 12:50 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Unicron I am wondering now...do most of you carry flat repair kits even in sprint triathlons? Your time is out the window if you do get a flat...but I guess it depends if the race supports flat repair personnel and/or if you rather wait around for help or be able to swap it out quickly on your own?

I always carry my flat kit with me.  I mostly do smaller local races and it would be a long wait for any assistance, if at all.  Even in a sprint race a flat can mean a 6-7 mile walk back to transition.  I'd much prefer to ride back, even if I'm out of contention.

I've been fortunate to only have suffereed one flat in a race.  I was only a few hundred yards from T2, so I just walked/jogged back with my bike rather than changing it.  Figured I lost around five minutes overall, but wouldn't have made any difference in my AG results.

Congrats on then new bike!

Mark

2014-08-25 12:51 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Originally posted by Aarondb4For longer distance stuff most people will carry flat repair tools. Personally, I always carry stuff to fix a flat.

Do you bother with a whole extra tube or just patch repair?

Just wondering.

2014-08-25 2:55 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by jhaack39
Originally posted by Aarondb4For longer distance stuff most people will carry flat repair tools. Personally, I always carry stuff to fix a flat.
Do you bother with a whole extra tube or just patch repair? Just wondering.

I carry a Co2, a tube, tire levers and a dollar bill for a tire boot if I need one, no patch kit. I can fit 2 co2's and two tubes in my Xlab wing bag if I want to. I carried enough to fix two flats in my IM this year. Have never flatted in a race, but I didn't want to stand around waiting for help if I needed it. 

2014-08-26 9:46 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

thanks everyone!

I will look into CO2 pumps as well as ways to carry the kit.
2014-08-26 10:40 AM

, Wisconsin
1st of all, congratulations on your first 3 tri in only 3 months! Between that, and the awesome bike, you are surely bitten. Fixing flats is a piece of cake once you do it a couple of times. I've always carried an extra tube, tire irons and either pump or now CO2 carts and head. As someone else mentioned, I also carry a $20 because it can be used between tube and tire if the tire itself is badly damaged. And of course, it can buy a snack or refreshment if badly needed. (I'm talking training here, not racing
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3rd Triathlon Completed, flat tire achievement, and new bike (P3) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Complete Road Bike for $149 My new baby

Started by Livestrong191
Views: 1676 Posts: 14

2010-04-21 2:48 PM mrbbrad

12 miles + new bike = flat tire

Started by Organic Steam
Views: 1902 Posts: 18

2008-05-05 3:33 PM Blueraiderzone

Tire Question - tired of getting flats...

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 2273 Posts: 17

2008-04-14 9:45 PM Dream Chaser

flat tire / hole in tire - question

Started by Sluggo312
Views: 1033 Posts: 6

2008-03-06 8:41 AM devilwillride

EBAY SCAM - Cervelo P3 Carbon complete bike

Started by eburg
Views: 1961 Posts: 11

2007-11-02 8:05 PM Z-dog
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : September 9, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 10
This video will go through everything you need to know to change your flat tire. See one being changed in about a minute - no reason to lose a lot of time on race day if you practiced.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What are the essential mechanical/maintenance skills that I as someone who rides a bike should learn how to do myself?

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.