General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Farthest you walked with a flat? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-24 2:41 PM

User image

Subject: Farthest you walked with a flat?
I got a flat yesterday in a sprint tri. I was 6th out of the water (which is a HUGE accomplishment for me), 3rd in bike (before the flat...using average moving speed from Garmin with final results). It was my day yesterday...until it wasn't. I got a flat, I took off my tire and then saw that both my spares also fell off that day! I did see that they were loose the night before, so that was my fault but either way, I was still bummed from getting a flat on a tire with less than 200 miles on them. I couldn't do anything but take my shoes off and walk back to the transition area. Well it took me 72 minutes to walk back since there was no bike support. My feet hurt like hell after that (still hurts just walking in house) but at least they'll toughen up before IMWI. It did have me thinking though: what's the longest you guys walked with a flat? I'll say in a race and also in general as well.

2014-08-24 3:45 PM
in reply to: #5043050

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Farthest you walked with a flat?
Five miles on a training ride. I was 11miles into the ride when my chain broke (no idea why). It was early on a Sunday morning and my wife left her phone in the living room. After 20 calls, I finally gave up and walked home. It sucked.
2014-08-24 5:07 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I had a rear flat at the Englewood, FL sprint tri a few years ago.  I was only about 1/4 mile from T2, so I just jogged it back rather than trying to change it.  Figure it cost me about five minutes overall.

I had a flat four miles from home on a training ride once, only to realize that I had forgotten to put my seat bag with my spares back on the bike after I had washed it the day before.  I had my phone with me, but my wife was out shopping with friends and left her cell at home.  Took off my shoes and walked it back home.

Mark 

2014-08-24 5:57 PM
in reply to: #5043079

User image

Couldn't be more timely of a post...I just went through a similar ordeal this morning. 6 mile jog in socks (bad idea as my feet are sore and blistered 3 weeks out from my first half). I changed two tubes, couldn't find any debris in the tire, so I'm thinking there is something more happening. I have had an unbelievable amount of flats with this bike, tried everything short of new wheels....so guess what I'm buying the week!

I did what I swore I would never do, I DNFed it realizing that I was just going to do more foot damage before the event I am actually training for. BTW, How long do nasty blisters take to heal before you can start pounding pavement again?
2014-08-24 6:25 PM
in reply to: djmikula

User image

About eight years ago, four miles on a training ride. My road bike was brand new, and I hadn't mounted under seat bag with tube and CO2, yet. New bike/tires/tube - what could possibly go wrong?!
2014-08-24 9:04 PM
in reply to: djmikula

User image

Originally posted by djmikula

Couldn't be more timely of a post...I just went through a similar ordeal this morning. 6 mile jog in socks (bad idea as my feet are sore and blistered 3 weeks out from my first half). I changed two tubes, couldn't find any debris in the tire, so I'm thinking there is something more happening. I have had an unbelievable amount of flats with this bike, tried everything short of new wheels....so guess what I'm buying the week!

I did what I swore I would never do, I DNFed it realizing that I was just going to do more foot damage before the event I am actually training for. BTW, How long do nasty blisters take to heal before you can start pounding pavement again?

May want to check/replace the rim tape them. Bike shop told me every year.

2nd part. Well I did a 4 hour indoor ride and a 45 min run brick today. When I'm running it doesn't hurt but it sure hurts when I walk around the house. I feel a lot better tonight than I did this morning. You did ~2 miles more than me and jogged (I walked...couldn't imagine trying to jog in my socks). It does get better... Guess trying to do a few ride bare foot are in order for us to toughen them up.

2014-08-24 9:40 PM
in reply to: #5043114

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I had a two mile walk back home on a training ride. Front tire flat and it was the first time I decided to take my pump off the bike (I was like, "I won't need it"). To top it off, I also forgot to bring my cell phone and I had not packed in the spare tube I bought. Ohh and the cherry on top was that it started to rain while I was diagnosing the flat. Long walk home in the rain haha
2014-08-27 10:37 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Thanks to some dumba$$ rednecks that threw a beer bottle at a Deer x-ing sign, I had a blow out. Tire looked ok.. I shoved a dollar bill inside and threw on my spare tube - back up and riding in like 10 minutes. About 15 feet down the road I find the second bottle. Shredded my rear tire. 8 Mile barefoot run home pushing my crippled ride. I was less than amused. But I turned out to be a pretty good reverse brick.
2014-08-27 10:46 AM

User image

New user
penticton
perhaps i m a lazy person but if i was to make the mistake of not having a spare kit with me (i always do) i ride on the flat unweighting what ever wheel is flat.

if it s the rear, ride slow out of the saddles with weight shifter forward. if it s the front, seat as far back as possible with light pressure on handlebar. I rode up to 10miles that way and did something similar many times. if you go slow...you wont break anything.

(very duable on allow wheels. not recommended on carbon rim)

2014-08-27 12:32 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Hereford, England
I've only had flats on training, as I've only done one tri.

The furthest I've walked is 100 meters. Then I called a taxi and told them to send someone who can take the bike too. I was about 2 miles away from home.
2014-08-27 12:43 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by jonnyo

perhaps i m a lazy person but if i was to make the mistake of not having a spare kit with me (i always do) i ride on the flat unweighting what ever wheel is flat.

if it s the rear, ride slow out of the saddles with weight shifter forward. if it s the front, seat as far back as possible with light pressure on handlebar. I rode up to 10miles that way and did something similar many times. if you go slow...you wont break anything.

I've only walked about a 1/2 mile and was not because of a flat(rear derailer tangled in wheel) so I carried the bike.

I have to agree with the above, you could ride slow on a flat for a long ways. If I were really far out I would probably stuff the tire with grass to ride it back.

2014-08-27 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

After a long training ride I was still 7 miles from home and had a flat and a toasted tire. Threw the bike over my shoulder and ran home. Hated every second

2014-08-27 12:55 PM
in reply to: mike761

Originally posted by mike761

Originally posted by jonnyo

I've only walked about a 1/2 mile and was not because of a flat(rear derailer tangled in wheel) so I carried the bike.

I have to agree with the above, you could ride slow on a flat for a long ways. If I were really far out I would probably stuff the tire with grass to ride it back.

Never had to do it, but the grass trick is a good one to keep in the memory banks in case everything fails and you're far from help w/ no cell phone service.

You can also tie a knot in the tube (if you've used up all tubes and have no patches) sealing off the compromised part and use grass just in that part of the rim to semi-even out the tire. Both are old-school, but they do work.

2014-08-27 4:40 PM

User image

Why did you take your shoes off? If you take the "clip" part of your shoes off, they're not too bad to walk in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Farthest you walked with a flat? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How FAR is Far Enough? training question

Started by Kermat89
Views: 2739 Posts: 22

2011-02-21 11:38 AM cornfed

What's the Longest You've Ever Walked After Geting a Flat? Pages: 1 2

Started by n.k
Views: 1596 Posts: 31

2010-05-18 9:14 AM Lilac J

Building Endurance: Run/Walk or Power Walk?

Started by lazytriathlete
Views: 2429 Posts: 16

2009-12-03 12:34 AM dscottmd

To walk or not to walk?

Started by Joblin
Views: 1219 Posts: 16

2009-08-03 6:50 AM Joblin

How far is far enough??

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 788 Posts: 3

2005-10-08 9:20 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 0
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
My right foot is killing me (flat feet, wearing orthotics). I can no longer run on it and am forced to walk. After walking 10k, my foot felt like it was squeezed really hard.