General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Short Flu-like sickness hours after sprint triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-24 2:58 PM

Subject: Short Flu-like sickness hours after sprint triathlon
I finished my 2nd sprint triathlon. 1st one had a total bonk. Screwed up my fueling and felt sick during the race. I did finish but I felt horrible and felt bad long after the race. 2nd race was much improved. I felt good during the race and right after. Ate after race and drank plenty of water. A couple hours after the race on my way home I started to feel cold which is unusual for me. Not too bad though. Then I got home and started to get chills and shake as if I had a bad flu. I didn't feel like throwing up or anything and no stomach issues of any kind but I just started having teeth chattering shakes. I took a long hot shower and got in bed and napped for 2 hours. And then I felt fine. Any ideas why that would happen? I definitely hydrated enough, before, during and after the race. It was really weird. It would be less weird if I was getting a cold and got sicker but it totally went away

2014-08-24 6:47 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Short Flu-like sickness hours after sprint triathlon
Most likely simple exhaustion from a hard effort. My body will also do this sometimes after a race, an extremely hard workout, or just several days of really hitting it hard with insufficient recovery. Chills can also sometimes be a symptom of heat exhaustion--your body overdoes it trying to cool off or something. If it happened DURING a race or workout, I'd definitely stop and walk until the symptoms resolved, or get medical attention if they didn't. After the race, I'd just make sure to get sufficient recovery before getting back to training. A few days off might be in order, especially if it does happen that you're also fighting a virus in addition to the race stress.
2014-08-25 8:16 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
might be your hydration also. I get bad chills if I under hydrate a lot
2014-08-25 8:53 AM
in reply to: #5043061

Thanks for the feedback. I feel like a hydrated well but it's florida so it's always warm and hydration is always key. Maybe it was just my body telling me I worked hard. I haven't had issues since.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Short Flu-like sickness hours after sprint triathlon Rss Feed