General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Creaking and popping sounds coming from bottom bracket Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-24 6:47 PM

Subject: Creaking and popping sounds coming from bottom bracket
I've got a Specialized Roubaix a began hearing noise coming from the bottom bracket (it's a press fit BB30)..took it to the shop and, long story short, it was determined the plastic cups that hold the bearings in place were moving in the BB shell. Did some online research and contacted Specialized tech service and they recommended epoxying the cups in place. Has anybody experienced this before? I'm going to replace the original bearings with ceramic and the shop mechanic recommended using aluminum cups, which he will epoxy in place...good idea?

2014-08-24 9:13 PM
in reply to: Solark

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Creaking and popping sounds coming from bottom bracket
I hesitate to make that kind of permanent decision, that's why I used adaptors for BB30 to outboard instead of a shell with threads that would need to be glued into place. All BB30 has done is to replace one set of problems with another.
2014-08-25 5:46 AM
in reply to: Solark

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Creaking and popping sounds coming from bottom bracket
PF30 BB's are really sensitive to preload. If the crank is not installed properly, you will creak.

Aluminum PF30 BB's do work well and eliminates some of the drawbacks with the design of the PF30. It may not be necessary to epoxy the cups though
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Creaking and popping sounds coming from bottom bracket Rss Feed