REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 2s
Overall Rank = 79/328
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/21
Pre-race routine:

Had a training class in Chattenooga, TN the week before and completely bonked on my last training run on Thursday due to the monster heat wave. Flew back to Philly Friday afternoon, spent a day in my own bed before hitting the road at 7:45am and driving up to Maine. Got there, checked in and racked my bike in transition and then headed to my hotel. Ate, watched Bristol and went to bed.
Event warmup:

Got up at 4:25am. Made breakfast, packed up and left. Got to the Ballpark with the Rev 3 parking sign at about 5:00am and then hiked my way down to the Transition, about a 1.5 mile walk with my transition backpack. Set up, aired up my tires, hit the porta potties and got my wetsuit on and then headed out to swim start which was about a 10 min walk down the beach. Got there just before the first wave of the half went off. Was very low tide so waded out. Got some help zipping up my wetsuit and waded out in the water, then came back in, After the half waves were done, waded out again and swam a bit. Cold water. Then got out and waited for my wave.
Swim
  • 26m 23s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was a running start so I tried to get to the outside and back. Waded out through the breakers and started swimming. Got tangled up with one guy pretty good until I got outside of him and got going. After that I stayed outside and high about 10 feet above the bouys. Felt like I was swimming pretty good and I got into a good rhythm. Easy rounding of the final turn buoy and it looked like I was at least moving forward the whole time. Ended up way outside on the swim in and had to wade back to the Cone of people so added some extra distance.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Thought if was a decent swim but my results didn't reflect that. I did basically go in in the back off the wave and slid back from there until I found open water. Could have done the breakers better on both inlet and outlet.
15/21AG 40/82 Wave 135/328 OA
Transition 1
  • 06m
Comments:

Long run up a sandy beach the on sidewalks and cobblestones up two blocks across the railroad tracks then a block to transition and then all the way around to the back of transition and then down to my rack. Got to my rack and just couldn't get my wetsuit off my heals. Almost like I forgot how to do it. After that I fought with my socks, loaded my gel in my back pocket and got my helmet on and started out. Took my time thought transition since there were a bunch of people around me clomping out to the mount line.

Practice the step method to get my wetsuit off, brain wasn't working, again little sense of urgency in transition. 15th to 17th AG: 40th to 47th Wave: 135th to 154th OA
Bike
  • 1h 09m 45s
  • 25 miles
  • 21.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a bit of difficulty clipping in but got going and grinded up the first hill and then set sail. Got going in a easy gear to establish a rhythm as we worked our way out of town. Got passed by 1 45 year old, who I caught later, but I was moving forward basically the whole ride. After about 5 miles I dropped into a higher gear and started pushing it. When I had momentum I was flying, but a couple of the short steeper rollers bit me as I tried to grind up it in a heavy gear vice downshifting and keeping momentum. Just before the turn I did a back and forth with a Relay but he left me in the dust so after. Road really well coming in however at on of the busy intersections when you got to the middle lane of traffic and then turn about 100 yards later, I got very confused by what they were telling me and ended up turning the wrong way and had to do a 360 and had 4-5 people pass me who I had to pass again. I was really cranking on that section coming in since I was a bit ticked off. Had the first place Aqua bike in a full skin suit, disc wheel and aero-helmet pass me right before the end.

Again the bike felt pretty good. Rode hard passed a ton of people, probably should have taken the get in my back pocket and drank more. Went from 17th to 11th in my AG, 47th to 25th in my wave and 154th to 75th OA. 9th fastest AG split and 48th fastest OA (Last person under 1:10) even with my wrong turn and turn about.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Usual dismounting challenges for me, but got to my rack and racked well got my helmet off the just couldn't get my bike shoes off. Wasn't coordinated to use my feet to pull them off. Got my running shoes on quick and grabbed my race belt and visor and went.

Couldn't get my bike shoes off without sitting down, That had never been a problem before.
Run
  • 50m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out and my legs felt hollow but Ok, had a few of the fast women and 2-3 guys pass me but I was also slowly moving forward. I latched onto a 29 year old guy and stuck with him until around mule 4.5 and he pulled me to and past one guy in my AG. Tried to push it but my legs just weren't responding, they never really came to me. Passed a Wattie Ink guy and the relay dude from the bike right at the end. Would have been trampled if I had done my blaze roll some opted out.

My runs off the bike lately have really been poor. Knoxville and Quassy were great but Williamsburg, Steelman, and today just leave me scratching my head. 3 min slower than 2012.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, did the Recovery ZOne, facebooked, and tweeted, got my post race lobster, stayed for the awards then packed up and biked to the parking lot with my transition backpack (up the hill again) and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Can't run off the bike lately. Overly tentative at the Swim start again.
It is amazing how much faster the field gets when you offer prize money. My time would have put me on the AG podium last year (with more people in the AG, but this year 2:12 got you 3rd place and 2:16 got 5th place master and a check. Hard to judge this one by the numbers.

Event comments:

Great race. The town loves having us there and throws out the red carpet, then course is beautiful, the ocean swim is great, course is fast and the weather has been great each year. Plus the post race lobster was great! Karen Smyers was there and raced and won at age 52!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:23 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/21
Overall: 135/328
Performance: Average
Suit: Hurricane Cat 5 full
Course: Out two bouys then parallel to the beach to the pier and then back to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:45 | 25 miles | 21.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/21
Overall: 48/328
Performance: Good
Miles 0-10: 29:14 (20.52 mph) Miles 10-15: 13:47 (21.77 mph) Miles 15-end: 26:44 (22.44 mph)
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back through some winding roads and neighborhoods. Some rollers and incline mostly on the way out and less on way back. Biggest hill was right at the start climbing out of the beach.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:50:23 | 06.21 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/21
Overall: 105/328
Performance: Average
Mile 0 -3.1: 25:35 (8:15/mile) Mile 3.1-end: 24:48 (8:00/mile)
Course: Out of transition across the street down and over, two long gradual climbs down to a dirt trail for an out and back to the turnaround. Back two hills and back into town around transition to the finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-08-25 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Rev3 Maine - Olympic Rev
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Maine - Olympic Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Maine - Olympic Rev

Started by slackjaw5
Views: 909 Posts: 1

2012-09-10 10:19 AM slackjaw5

Rev3 Maine - Olympic Rev

Started by southwestmba
Views: 1403 Posts: 3

2012-09-10 12:04 PM wbayek

Rev3 Maine - Olympic Rev

Started by Mountaindan
Views: 1263 Posts: 2

2012-09-05 2:11 PM ratherbeswimming

Rev3 Maine - Olympic Rev

Started by mpento17
Views: 983 Posts: 1

2012-08-27 11:46 AM mpento17

Rev3 Maine - Olympic Rev

Started by cdkayak
Views: 1140 Posts: 1

2012-08-27 6:55 AM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.