New York Road Runners
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 21m 17s
Overall Rank = 460/4524
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/347
Event warmup:

Did the world's longest warm up ever. 40 minutes.
-Three-plane lunges
-Jogged for 10 minutes, super slow and easy.
-Skipping for 5 minutes
-2 x 2 minutes at half-marathon pace
-(bathroom break)
-4 x 150 sprints at race pace, last one at faster than race pace
Run
  • 21m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Started in the first corral, which was thrilling and made for a quick start out of the gate. I was really focused on getting my PR, but specifically wanted to nail a sub-7 min/mile average on a distance over 1 mile, something I've been unable to do in the past. I'd bargained with myself that if I was doing 7:08 or something ridiculously slow at each mile marker, I could give up, because I wouldn't be able to chase that time down again to sub-7. But every mile I glanced down at my watch, people must have thought I had Tourette's or something, because I would curse under my breath when I saw that I was still JUUUUUST under 7 min/miles and had to keep going at that pace (or faster).

"Chase the pain" was my mantra and that is what I did. The speed bumps along the residential part of the course actually hurt because I'd have to alter my gait slightly to get over them.

I tried to latch onto people in front of me, but they were either going too slow or too fast to stick with for longer than a couple seconds (I found that surprising, considering how big the race was -- really, NOBODY was running my pace??). So I ended up really running this one on my own.

The downhill somewhere in mile 2 felt amazing. Instead of allowing myself to recover, I pushed going down hill, which probably gave me a couple extra seconds.

Turned the corner onto the last quarter mile, which is all basically flat, but FELT uphill after the downhill I'd just done. Tried to latch onto a super tall guy in front of me who looked like he was floating through the final sprint. Passed mile 3, praying my watch would say something-under-21-minutes (it did) and then gunned it to the finish, knowing I'd done it!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was an excellent race and result and I think the warm up was the best thing I've ever done.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to baggage claim, saw this older gentleman who was in my corral (I guess I was in his corral, really) standing next to where my bag was. He had looked super fast at the start -- sort of had this tall and lean look to him. I was chasing after him but couldn't keep up at the end. Which I told him. He said, "No kidding? Did you have a good race?"
Me: Yes! I PR'd! Fastest 5k!
Him: That's great. What was your time?
Me: 21:17. What was yours?
Him: I didn't have a watch on, so I have no idea, but I guess somewhere around that time, too, if I was right in front of you! What's your name?
Me: Mirjam.
Him: Bill Perkins. Nice to meet you, congratulations on your race.

He gave me a hug and we parted ways.

Bill Perkins. New York State Senator Bill Perkins. Kinda cool. Looked up his time later -- 21:09. He was literally seconds in front of me. (Oh, and he's 65 years old and placed first in his age group).

:)

Event comments:

A good PR 5k course, mean little hill at the start, but it's over almost (almost) before you feel it. Good local race run in conjunction with Harlem Week, so lots of good energy and events surrounding this race.

Last updated: 2014-06-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:17 | 03.1 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/347
Overall: 460/4524
Performance: Good
Course: 5K course circles St. Nicholas Park and runs alongside Jackie Robinson Park in Harlem. Significant climbing in the first mile, then the rest of the race is mostly flat and/or downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-25 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: Percy Sutton Harlem 5K Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Percy Sutton Harlem 5K Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oasis ZooRun 10k Run, 5k Run/Walk & Cub Run

Started by ptri
Views: 1527 Posts: 1

2010-10-17 12:58 PM ptri

Keep L.A. Running 5k Run/Walk, 10k Run & 10 and 20 Mile Coastal Bike Cruise

Started by fatoldtrailrunner
Views: 1210 Posts: 1

2010-07-11 6:20 PM fatoldtrailrunner

Oasis ZooRun 10k Run, 5k Run/Walk & Cub Run

Started by richtherunner
Views: 1556 Posts: 1

2009-10-17 12:01 PM richtherunner

Granger Daze 5K Run (Virtual 5K for Christine)

Started by Spokes
Views: 1381 Posts: 8

2008-07-21 3:12 PM WaterDog66

4th Annual Sun Bowl 5k Run & Walk 5k Run

Started by Lasersaw
Views: 1859 Posts: 1

2005-12-31 9:19 PM Lasersaw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
comments : 0
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.