General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipped in shoes banging on ground Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-25 8:12 PM

Subject: Clipped in shoes banging on ground
I just purchased my first pair of cycling shoes. Actually haven't switched pedals but doing that this week. I was wondering exiting t1 and entering for t2 how people keep their cycling shoes from banging on the ground while the shoes are clipped in and they are running their bike out and into transition. I know the rubber band trick but on returning from bike do you just let the shoes bang on the ground or do you pickup the back wheel?

2014-08-25 8:22 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Clipped in shoes banging on ground

Let 'em bang.  Battle scars!  Usually the heel will drop and that's what will drag.  Usually also they will sort of self-center due to equal weight on the crank arms.  Don't even worry about it.

That is, assuming you exit T1 barefoot and mount, or that you dismount and keep your shoes in the pedals.  I usually run in my shoes to the mount line, and I've only dismounted and kept shoes on the bike a handful of times.  I have cheap tri shoes that are not easy to slip on at the mount line/on the bike.  

2014-08-26 5:23 AM
in reply to: #5043519

Okay. Thanks for the response. That's good to know because I've read a lot of articles about tips for transitions but they never seem to mention the shoes banging on the ground. One triathlon I volunteered at I do remember a couple people running out with their shoes banging on the ground
2014-08-26 6:35 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Remember to practice putting on your shoes on the bike after your mount. As someone who puts his bike shoes on in T1, as a habit I spend the first couple of hundred yards of the bike leg looking out for those riding erratically as they get into their shoes. I've seen it all go bad... Practice.
2014-08-26 9:12 AM
in reply to: #5043610

User image

You can use a rubber band on one to hold it in place so it doesn't drag. And there is even a product called tri clips if you want another gadget.
2014-08-26 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Do you have road shoes or actual tri shoes? 

Road shoes normally have multiple straps and ratchet adjustments that can be hard to fiddle with while on the bike.  Tri shoes usually have one velcro strap that opens to the outside, making it easier to fasten/unfasten and less likely to get caught in the drive train.  Most also have a big heel strap to help pull them on and off.

Unless you are using tri shoes, I'd suggest not trying to leave your shoes clipped to your pedals,.

Regardless, to answer your original question, yes, I just let them bang on the ground going into T2.  They may getting scuffed up a bit, but no big deal.

Mark

2014-08-26 10:14 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

If you let 'em bang, just be careful.  Maybe because I have big feet, but the ground has been able to unclip a shoe for me when running into T2.  The time saved by leaving the shoes on the bike gets completely lost if you have to stop and go pick up a fallen shoe. 

2014-08-26 10:28 AM
in reply to: #5043690

I have actual tri shoes. Small Velcro strap near toe and one bigger strap at top. I will definitely be practicing some on each ride. Does anybody run out of transition lifting the back by seat post slightly to prevent shoes banging on ground while holding the handlebars? I don't think I want to mess with rubber bands or tri clips since it only benefits you exiting t1. Coming back you're dealing with same issue.
2014-08-26 10:40 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

If you are going to exit T1 with shoes in the pedals, I suggest messing with the rubber bands.  The 'issues' heading out of T1 are very different than the issues heading back into T2.  If you don't want to mess with them, exit with your shoes on your feet.  90% of the time, I have done it this way and have had transition times better than probably 90% of the field.  Keeping them on the pedals can save time.  But for the majority of triathletes, it actually does not.

2014-08-26 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I always use rubber bands if I leave my shoes clipped in for T1. You loop it through the loop at the back of the shoe and then on the right you loop the other end around the knobby thing on the front derailleur and on the left you loop it around the rear quick release.

When arriving into T2 they just bang on the ground.

As to whether or not to go with shoes clipped in, 1) some races don't allow you to, 2) at longer distances it hardly makes a difference, and 3) if you're going to do it, practice, practice, practice (a friend of mine starts every training ride with them clipped in). You don't want to be that guy / gal wobbling all over the road and affecting other racers. I will say that it's much easier to leave them clipped in getting off the bike than to start with them clipped in.
2014-08-26 11:20 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy Remember to practice putting on your shoes on the bike after your mount. As someone who puts his bike shoes on in T1, as a habit I spend the first couple of hundred yards of the bike leg looking out for those riding erratically as they get into their shoes. I've seen it all go bad... Practice.

To this point.....don't get in a hurry to put your feet in.  I've seen experienced racers ride a mile and more before they put their feet in.....it's pretty common.  Get up to speed and pick your spot to get them in.

2014-08-26 11:47 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

In my first tri, I thought I'd try to take my feet out of my shoes before T2 and ended up having my shoe fly off on the course. I decided to just leave it (my wife tracked it down). I learned my lesson to never try something new on race day!
2014-08-26 1:14 PM
in reply to: 0

You can generally avoid the banging by just turning the pedals to 3:00 & 9:00 position (horizontal) before you start rolling the bike through T2. 

I know, it sounds like it'll just get out of whack and they'll drift to 6:00 again, but in my experience, if you level them before moving, they'll typically stay there no problemo. The main mistake people make is rushing and not getting the pedals to exactly horizontal - it makes a big difference if the pedal is 'almost' horizontal(where it will continue to drop) versus total horizontal where it should balance.

I actually take a second once I jump off the bike (I get my feet out of the shoes before the T2 dismount line) to push the pedals with my hands back to horizontal - it's not as fast/pretty as the full-tilt flying dismount since you do have to slow a bit for a second to get the pedals right, but it pays off in how fast you can cruise through T2 to your spot. 

Just practice it - you'll figure it out.

Edited by yazmaster 2014-08-26 1:14 PM
2014-08-26 1:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by TriTampa2I have actual tri shoes. Small Velcro strap near toe and one bigger strap at top. I will definitely be practicing some on each ride. Does anybody run out of transition lifting the back by seat post slightly to prevent shoes banging on ground while holding the handlebars? I don't think I want to mess with rubber bands or tri clips since it only benefits you exiting t1. Coming back you're dealing with same issue.
If you're going to start with them clipped in then you should use rubberbands. Why not? They break off and are gone when you start peddling. I'd just let them hit the ground going into T2. I beat my shoes up more running in them since switching to leaving them clipped in.
2014-08-26 2:13 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Oysterboy Remember to practice putting on your shoes on the bike after your mount. As someone who puts his bike shoes on in T1, as a habit I spend the first couple of hundred yards of the bike leg looking out for those riding erratically as they get into their shoes. I've seen it all go bad... Practice.

To this point.....don't get in a hurry to put your feet in.  I've seen experienced racers ride a mile and more before they put their feet in.....it's pretty common.  Get up to speed and pick your spot to get them in.

This x2. Almost all mishaps I've seen seem to happen within 100 yds or so of the mount line. I've practiced mounts/dismounts a LOT, but I still get wayyyyy away from the line into a reasonably clear area before messing w/ my shoes.
2014-08-26 2:27 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano
Originally posted by TriTampa2I have actual tri shoes. Small Velcro strap near toe and one bigger strap at top. I will definitely be practicing some on each ride. Does anybody run out of transition lifting the back by seat post slightly to prevent shoes banging on ground while holding the handlebars? I don't think I want to mess with rubber bands or tri clips since it only benefits you exiting t1. Coming back you're dealing with same issue.
If you're going to start with them clipped in then you should use rubberbands. Why not? They break off and are gone when you start peddling. I'd just let them hit the ground going into T2. I beat my shoes up more running in them since switching to leaving them clipped in.

I was tearing up a couple of sets of SPD-SL cleats every year by running on them through asphalt or gravel transition areas.

To LB's earlier suggestion: really good advice to ride a bit before trying to slip your feet into your shoes.  For one thing you've cleared the scrum at the T1 exit, plus you're going to be more stable on the bike it you're riding faster.

I do the same thing coming into T2.  I'll slip my feet out maybe a half mile out before everyone starts slowing down and bunching up again at the entrance to T2.

One other suggestion is to tighten the release tension on your pedals to more than you normally use.  That will  help keep you from pulling the shoe off the pedal when you're trying to pull your foot out.

Above all, practice, and then practice some more. 

Mark

2014-08-26 9:02 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

I was tearing up a couple of sets of SPD-SL cleats every year by running on them through asphalt or gravel transition areas.

Above all, practice, and then practice some more. 

Mark

I use Look Keo's and trying to run in them was like trying to run in ice skates

2014-08-26 11:43 PM
in reply to: #5043519

Just curious but do you all wear socks on the bike or am I just being a wimp / such a newbie ( I am a newbie ). That I don't realize most don't wear socks on the bike / or at all ?
2014-08-27 7:22 AM
in reply to: Chitwnnole

Plenty of folks use socks on the bike, all depends on your preference really. Some say taking the time to put socks on it T1 saves you the time doing it in T2. Personally, and it's because I train that way (And have awful feet), I don't wear socks at all. However as I transition from Olympic to Half/Full, I will probably start wearing them on the run for the longer distances to avoid really destroying my feet.
2014-08-27 8:45 AM
in reply to: FellaGuy

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by FellaGuy
Some say taking the time to put socks on it T1 saves you the time doing it in T2.

I'd say putting socks on in T2 would be quicker than putting them on in T1 (with wet feet).

Same as FellaGuy, I go sock-less for Oly and under. I'd go sock-less for the longer distance races if I thought my feet would survive the run... my PI Iso Transitions seem to be only good for about 10K before things start going bad.

To the OP... another "rubber bands in T1 / let 'em flop in T2" guy here. I've never had a problem with this set-up.
2014-08-27 11:53 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

Originally posted by RockTractor

Originally posted by FellaGuy
Some say taking the time to put socks on it T1 saves you the time doing it in T2.

I'd say putting socks on in T2 would be quicker than putting them on in T1 (with wet feet).

Same as FellaGuy, I go sock-less for Oly and under. I'd go sock-less for the longer distance races if I thought my feet would survive the run... my PI Iso Transitions seem to be only good for about 10K before things start going bad.

To the OP... another "rubber bands in T1 / let 'em flop in T2" guy here. I've never had a problem with this set-up.

The water acts like a lubricant, making it very easy to get your socks on. In fact I ONLY put my clothes on after they've been dunked in a bucket of water. I do get some strange looks at work first thing in the morning, but the seconds I save putting on my clothing seems worth it

But on a serious note, T1 socks is nothing I subscribe too, I've just know/seen/heard/read folks who opt for the T1 sock program.

2014-08-27 3:49 PM
in reply to: FellaGuy

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I'm a rubber banded shoes to bike in Transition kind of guy too.  I practice it several times before every race.  My main reason is that I think it is simply the fastest way out of T1.  I don't wear socks during races (HIM and shorter) so it really helps. 

I also slip my feet out of my shoes on the way into T2 and ride with my bare feet on top of my shoes to the dismount line. 

I have Speed Plays and I learned the hard way that if the Transition area is muddy, running in Speed Plays is not a good idea. 

1.  You can slip and fall on your a$$ (happened to me).

2.  Your Speed Plays can get jammed up with mud  (happened to me in the same race as #1).

3.  Mud jammed into Speed Plays prevents shoes from clipping in and you have to get off your bike and bang your shoes together or slam them against your pedal and almost wreck.  (all in the same g - da mn race).

Transition is the 4th segment of the triathlon.  Why not make it as fast as possible?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipped in shoes banging on ground Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

clip on shoes vs running shoes

Started by pfolker
Views: 1733 Posts: 11

2008-09-14 4:48 PM nickster

Taught myself the "shoe clipped on pedals" transition Pages: 1 2

Started by Z-dog
Views: 2946 Posts: 35

2011-01-13 10:02 AM baxt3r

Anyone NOT wear clip shoes?

Started by Jbacon
Views: 1986 Posts: 24

2006-07-08 12:56 PM justalittletri

Running with bike shoes or clipping to pedals

Started by recon110
Views: 663 Posts: 4

2006-06-03 4:21 PM recon110

Tri shoes-velcro strap clips cranks

Started by BigTrain
Views: 1053 Posts: 8

2006-01-11 5:10 PM Nob
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : March 24, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?