General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM completed but have question for veterans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-26 9:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: IM completed but have question for veterans

I finished the my first Ironman (Louisville) and have question for ironman veterans. I had a great swim and bike. Stayed in heart rate zones and followed my nutrician plan. Felt stomach knotting up on bike ride. Drink more water but it didn't help. I ran the first three miles with stomach pains but had to start walking because of pain. Tried taking in fluids but had the puke and could not hold anything down. Got to the point where I was mostly walking and passing aid stations because of stomach. Puked a few more times during walk/run and felt better after final time and was able to run the last 4-5 miles. I puked again after crossing finish line and was given two IVs.

Background: live in the south and did a lot of the brick work outs in the heat during training. Never had this type of issue and usually manage a 8:30 or 8:45 pace on the run following a long bike ride.

So any ideas on what I did wrong? Too much water? I am glad I finished but hate the struggle on the run. I finished my HIM in 5 hours so I had expectations to finish under 13 hours which didn't happen. Finished 14:45 which was way over my goal. Honored to be called Ironman but disappointed at same time.

2014-08-26 10:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: IM completed but have question for veterans

Your gut shut down.  Some possible reasons are trying to start 'feeding' too soon after the swim (and possibly 'drinking' water that you shouldn't have in the swim), taking in too many calories, not taking enough water with your calories (esp. if in solid or gel form) or going too hard for the amount of calories you needed to take in (the harder you go, the less efficient your gut will process).  Heat/humidity can play a role (need more water to continue allowing gut to clear as ou feed and/or need to slow down relative to 'normal' pace).  It's not easy to pin down a specific reason in many cases and may be several things combined.  But take a close look at your nutrition plan and how that compared to what you did and experienced in training (including conditions, whether you swam before biking, etc.).

Once you reach that point, pretty much all you can do is slow way down and allow your gut to clear (sounds like your's cleared mostly 'out') and then begin eating and drinking again.

Edit:  Oh, and congrats Ironman!

Edited by JohnnyKay 2014-08-26 10:11 AM
2014-08-26 2:51 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Johnny
2014-08-26 5:41 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by GODAWGS Thanks Johnny

Congrats What Johnny said.  There are SO MANY things that can happen during an ironman.  I usually have tums with me on the bike and the run.  I don't think I have ever used them but I have saved a few peoples races giving them away.  Could have been many different things.  I would have tried the coke on the run course I think

2014-08-26 5:51 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Your gut shut down.  Some possible reasons are trying to start 'feeding' too soon after the swim (and possibly 'drinking' water that you shouldn't have in the swim), taking in too many calories, not taking enough water with your calories (esp. if in solid or gel form) or going too hard for the amount of calories you needed to take in (the harder you go, the less efficient your gut will process).  Heat/humidity can play a role (need more water to continue allowing gut to clear as ou feed and/or need to slow down relative to 'normal' pace).  It's not easy to pin down a specific reason in many cases and may be several things combined.  But take a close look at your nutrition plan and how that compared to what you did and experienced in training (including conditions, whether you swam before biking, etc.).

Once you reach that point, pretty much all you can do is slow way down and allow your gut to clear (sounds like your's cleared mostly 'out') and then begin eating and drinking again.

Edit:  Oh, and congrats Ironman!

+1

This is exactly what happened. When your body is engaged in an extreme effort and your muscles are requiring more fluids/blood/nutirents, your other body systems can basically shut down. One of the first to go is the gastrointestinal tract. So as you keep eating and drinking, everything you take in sits in your stomach and is not absorbed. Eventually it has to go somewhere and it comes back up.

Johnny gave the most commonly used solution, and probably overall the best advice that can be given. Slow down and let your body start processing nutrients again. Better to lose a few minutes to get your system going again then having to deal with trying to refuel after vomiting and greatly increasing your chance of bonking.

And again, you need to do what you did in training, if you are eating new things off the course, your body may not be able to process them as easily as what you are used to. Usually there is pretty much the same type of nutrition given in races, Gu's, blocks etc.., some fruits orange/banana. Find out what works for you in training so you know what to go for in races.
2014-08-26 6:04 PM
in reply to: 0

Regular
What did you do differently during the race? Go harder, took in more calories/hr, etc. You changed something, what was it?

Congrats on staying with it!!

Edited by riltri 2014-08-26 6:05 PM

2014-08-26 7:18 PM
in reply to: riltri

User image

Extreme Veteran

Got a great response from (Mike Ricci Head Coach, D3 Multisport) and it looks like my sodium intake was too low according to his numbers. I am going to do a sweat rate test as well.
2014-08-26 7:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-27 7:04 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Cumming, Georgia

I don't have an answer for you but the same thing happened to me on my last full.  I think what happened for me was heat/humidity and lack of proper hydration.  The race was in Key West in January and while I live in the south the temps and humidity were no where close to what it was in Key West.  

Way to hang in and finish.

2014-08-27 12:56 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by GODAWGSGot a great response from (Mike Ricci Head Coach, D3 Multisport) and it looks like my sodium intake was too low according to his numbers. I am going to do a sweat rate test as well.
did Mike think this was the only issue?

Yes....Mike was great and asked a lot of questions. In hindsight, I wished I used him as coach along with the plan. I would highly recommend him based on the feedback he provided to me over the past few days. Real class act.
2014-08-28 7:35 AM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by GODAWGS

Originally posted by GODAWGSGot a great response from (Mike Ricci Head Coach, D3 Multisport) and it looks like my sodium intake was too low according to his numbers. I am going to do a sweat rate test as well.

Yes....Mike was great and asked a lot of questions. In hindsight, I wished I used him as coach along with the plan. I would highly recommend him based on the feedback he provided to me over the past few days. Real class act.

Mike and JonnyO have brought up good points. Out of curiosity do you know what the dew point was? That can have a role too.

When people train in the heat they think the are acclimated, but if you go out of the heat for 10-14 days before the race that is enough time to lose your acclimation. That is why I always say heat acclimation should be done towards the end of training. Also were conditions on raceday very similar to your truing? How is a relative word, but if you are racing in the same heat/humidity, etc as you trained that is one story, but if you is different and you didn't adjust pace/effort that might be your key.

2014-08-28 12:29 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by bcagle25

Originally posted by GODAWGS

Mike and JonnyO have brought up good points. Out of curiosity do you know what the dew point was? That can have a role too.

When people train in the heat they think the are acclimated, but if you go out of the heat for 10-14 days before the race that is enough time to lose your acclimation. That is why I always say heat acclimation should be done towards the end of training. Also were conditions on raceday very similar to your truing? How is a relative word, but if you are racing in the same heat/humidity, etc as you trained that is one story, but if you is different and you didn't adjust pace/effort that might be your key.

Not sure what dew point was but to me the heat wasn't as tough I trained in at SC. My heart rate average on bike was 135 which was less than my HIM HR average. I still did short work outs in the heat during the taper but is was cooler in the weeks leading up to the race.

2014-08-31 6:48 PM

Elite
Alturas, California
Can you run us through your fluid intake and calorie intake during the bike and run? Without specifics can't really help much.
2014-09-02 9:53 PM

Fructose and maltodextrin are horrible things.

Read "The Feedzone Portables" it is a great book and shows how Tour de France cyclists manage to eat real food and perform better than eating gels and mass made drinks.
2014-09-10 8:48 AM
in reply to: elliot.power

New user
penticton
Originally posted by elliot.power

Fructose and maltodextrin are horrible things.

Read "The Feedzone Portables" it is a great book and shows how Tour de France cyclists manage to eat real food and perform better than eating gels and mass made drinks.

Maltodextrin is one of the best, well, it s the best susbstance for endurance performance. It s also the most use during the tour de france and also at any endurance races.

if you want to performe at a high level, keep it simple, complex glocose polymers like maltodextrin is a excellente source of energy. i m curious why you see it as horrible?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM completed but have question for veterans Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Question for IM veterans

Started by 98hogbay
Views: 1457 Posts: 17

2009-08-08 12:41 PM jimmyb

Wear MDOT logo clothes before completing first IM? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by joker70
Views: 8573 Posts: 67

2009-03-30 8:18 AM Rogillio

BT'er completes Silverman IM ...

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 1539 Posts: 8

2008-11-11 2:19 PM Aikidoman

shorts question for IM veterans and newbies too!

Started by Scout
Views: 1825 Posts: 22

2008-05-06 10:28 AM 1stTimeTri

What have you sacrificed to complete an IM? Pages: 1 2

Started by CerveloP2K
Views: 2309 Posts: 26

2006-07-11 9:35 AM DB8