General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim tip. Rolling on someone else back! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-26 6:24 PM

User image

New user
penticton
Subject: Open water swim tip. Rolling on someone else back!
here s a little tip/trick for the intermediate/advance swimmer than would like to improve there ''mobility'' in the swim group. I often get the comments from new athletes that they ''were stock'' next to a aggressive swimmer...or someone that keep bumping on them, going off course etc. How to change quickly of position and roll over someone else's back.

when done properly, this wont be a issue for the ''other swimmer. He wont sink...or even be aware of what happen.
practice practice practice.

and have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaV83jd05r8

2014-08-26 7:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
NJ
Subject: RE: Open water swim tip. Rolling on someone else back!
Originally posted by jonnyohere s a little tip/trick for the intermediate/advance swimmer than would like to improve there ''mobility'' in the swim group. I often get the comments from new athletes that they ''were stock'' next to a aggressive swimmer...or someone that keep bumping on them, going off course etc. How to change quickly of position and roll over someone else's back. when done properly, this wont be a issue for the ''other swimmer. He wont sink...or even be aware of what happen. practice practice practice. and have fun!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaV83jd05r8
Pretty cool! When I checked this out I also found your other 'tip of the week' videos. I really like the demonstration on high elbow catch. Seeing the exercise with the marker and ball really made sense. Thanks!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KReTEXiBM

Edited by kcarroll 2014-08-26 7:01 PM

2014-08-26 8:14 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing.
2014-08-26 8:23 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Neat video! I'll have to practice that sometime. What a great view he had in the background, I wish there was somewhere like that I could swim.
2014-08-26 9:23 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I can think of a few very specific circumstances in races earlier this year where that would have been a great tool in the bag.  I also think it would take a considerable amount of confidence to actually attempt it in a race. 

2014-08-26 9:26 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro

Originally posted by popsracer

I can think of a few very specific circumstances in races earlier this year where that would have been a great tool in the bag.  I also think it would take a considerable amount of confidence to actually attempt it in a race. 

If you can find someone to work on it with you in a shallow pool (until you get it right) it's really very easy to get the hang of.  The same technique is often used to get around a turn buoy or to take a peek behind you in a race.

2014-08-27 10:34 AM

User image

New user
penticton
Originally posted by popsracer

i think it look a lot more fancy that it really is. The best is to try and see for yourself, when you realise how easy it is... it become a great tool to have in your tool box!
2014-08-27 12:20 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Nice tip JonnyO, thanks!

2014-08-27 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

i've done it a few times and it's always at the start of a race.  i'll get stuck in the middle of a group with everyone around me slowing down while there is no one on the outside... over their back i go where there is plenty of space ahead.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim tip. Rolling on someone else back! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tips for first time open water swimming

Started by rezaalireactivated
Views: 3532 Posts: 17

2011-04-12 9:56 AM rezaalireactivated

Pool Training Tips for Open Water Swim?

Started by octrojan
Views: 1093 Posts: 8

2007-12-17 10:24 PM octrojan

First Major Open water swim, any tips

Started by guyo
Views: 1886 Posts: 21

2006-01-14 9:49 PM guyo

Open water swimming tips?

Started by Blacktoe
Views: 1023 Posts: 12

2005-05-28 8:05 PM Biseman

Need tips for open water swim

Started by 50+
Views: 637 Posts: 2

2004-07-26 10:15 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : September 12, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on open water swimming with waves, optimal breathing, practicing sighting, when to get up and run, using the back and breast stroke, dropping your stroke count and swim aids.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.