General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Friendly Gyms - The Woodlands Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-26 8:15 PM

Subject: Tri Friendly Gyms - The Woodlands
Hey friends.

Long time lurker, very infrequent poster, but I could use some help on this one.

I'll be moving to The Woodlands in about three weeks from the northeast. I'm looking for some advice on tri-friendly gyms in the area. What I'm really looking for is a gym with a large, clean, awesome, pool, clean locker room, and decent hours. My research on Yelp has just lead to confusion, as internet reviews also do. But I trust YOUR internet reviews, because you guys are smart and awesome. So…please help!

In addition to a gym, I'm also looking for a cute, triathlon-friendly, girl that likes bald dudes. Just throwing that out there.

Thanks guys!

2014-08-26 8:39 PM
in reply to: BPalms

New user
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Tri Friendly Gyms - The Woodlands
Many go to Villa Sport, but Villa thinks very highly of their product. Indoor/outdoor/kids pools, clean locker rooms, & minimal gym smell. I enjoyed it while I was a member. I just found that I like training outside too much, plus bought a bike trainer. On the lower end, Anytime fitness is popular, but crowded. Good value for the dollar though.
2014-08-28 5:03 PM
in reply to: FlyinTiger

Hey FT, thanks for the info. I've heard some pretty good things about Villa Sport, but I'm also seeing a consistent complaint about the price. How bad is it? And, more importantly, is it worth it?
2014-08-29 11:53 AM
in reply to: 0

New user
The Woodlands, TX
Sent you a pm, as they may not want their rates published. As far as the cute, tri friendly girl that likes bald dudes, try hitting up the many events in the area and get active, and spin class. Also, a wide assortment of tri groups, running groups, cycling groups, you name it. This is a very active friendly town.

Edited by FlyinTiger 2014-08-29 11:57 AM
2014-08-29 4:16 PM
in reply to: FlyinTiger

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Sadly there's not a lot of options for gyms with pools. If you don't need a full gym you could do the nat - I think they offer punch cards and stuff but you have to check out their schedule as swim teams use it too. Gyms with pools would be either YMCA, 24 Hour Fitness and Villa. As the above poster said Villa's incredibly expensive. I personally go to 24 as the Y you have the swim team issue too. But, 24 is only a 3 lane pool and can get crowded at times. See if you can get a 3 day or week pass to each gym when you get here and check them out to see which works best for you and where you live and times you train.
2014-09-02 6:10 PM
in reply to: erin116

Hey Erin - thanks for the advice. I'll definitely check out a few options before committing to anything. If you guys see a strange, lumbering, mass in one of the pools, don't be afraid to say hi!

2014-09-08 11:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I used to be a member of the YMCA there, but found that they often had one lap lane open due to swim team and swim lessons. This was in the beginning of my triathlon attempts and I could barely swim, so sharing a lane with 5 people was not fun. Plus, I live on the east side of 45 (Riley Fuzzel), so getting from my job downtown to the back of The Woodlands was not fun either. So, now I am at LA Fitness at 45 and Holzworth. It's definitely no Villa, but there's a pool and decent spin classes! I rarely have to share a lane. And, it's on my way home and only $30/month. As much as I'd love to be at Villa with all the other triathletes, I just can't justify it and I don't want to drive the extra miles. Now if I had time to relax in the sauna and have a post-swim drink poolside....maybe.

Edited by aggiegrad96 2014-09-08 11:21 AM
2014-09-17 10:19 AM
in reply to: BPalms

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Originally posted by BPalms

Hey Erin - thanks for the advice. I'll definitely check out a few options before committing to anything. If you guys see a strange, lumbering, mass in one of the pools, don't be afraid to say hi!

I honestly haven't swam there in almost 2 years so I'm unlikely to see you by the pool. But, I teach cycling classes at 24 so feel free to come on up and give them a whirl. Introduce yourself before or after class
2014-09-19 7:14 AM
in reply to: aggiegrad96

Spring/Woodlands Area
How are the pool hours at that location? I'm struggling to find an affordable pool option for this area. I live in the same area you do.
And I'm kind of freaking out about what 99 is going to do to getting out to the Benders Landing area to ride.
(Sorry for the thread hijack - this is a great area for tri/endurance activity)
2014-09-26 10:13 AM
in reply to: apglave

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
99 might cause some issues for awhile. I am hoping that it's not too bad, because I plan to keep going to LA Fitness through IMTX training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Friendly Gyms - The Woodlands Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

CB&I Tri- The Woodlands Pages: 1 2

Started by TriPatrick
Views: 8305 Posts: 45

2010-05-03 1:03 PM catroberts

CB&I Woodlands TRI

Started by houston-tri-mama
Views: 671 Posts: 2

2008-03-14 7:39 PM daspanglers

Tri One-o-One Woodlands

Started by luhitech
Views: 735 Posts: 8

2007-08-24 9:09 PM mman

CB&I Tri - The Woodlands Pages: 1 2

Started by jkvandy
Views: 2517 Posts: 29

2007-05-05 1:52 PM courtney_leone

CB&I TRI Sprint - Woodlands May 6th

Started by csgomez
Views: 1489 Posts: 16

2015-04-30 3:18 PM cyclingaddict
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
comments : 0
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.