General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overcoming lingering bursitis/tendonitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-27 10:10 AM

New user
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Overcoming lingering bursitis/tendonitis
Last year, about this time, I failed to listen to my coach, who is much wiser than I, and over-trained my left knee to the point of crippling pain. I was diagnosed by my doctor to have bursitis and tendonitis after an MRI, and prescribed anti-inflammatories and rest. I have done this, along with a car accident in between, and continued to run periodically. I started with low distance, I'm talking 1 mile and working my way up by the 10 percent rule religiously, as to not have it happen again. I find myself still getting swelling in the back of my knee, if I run a short 2 1/2-3 mile distance. The discomfort is nothing like last year, but I recognize the feeling and back off. Cycling between runs helps, and causes no discomfort. How can I get my distances back without the swelling, or is it just something that I have to get use to. I rarely ice, but maybe I need to. Just don't like the feeling. Or, am I lacking stability elsewhere that caused the problem to reoccur. Getting frustrated.

2014-08-27 11:17 AM
in reply to: FlyinTiger

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Subject: RE: Overcoming lingering bursitis/tendonitis
I had a similar issue and here is how I solved my problem.
1) Switched to Newtons (Sir Isaacs). Bought another pair shortly after. Also bought a pair of Brooks. I started rotating the 3 pairs. I now have 3 pairs of Newtons and 1 pair of Brooks that I rotate.
2) Followed the 10% rule.
3) Used an Electrostimulation unit every day on my knee and ITB. I got one from my chiropractor and it was covered under insurance but you can buy them for around $100. ( http://www.lgmedsupply.com/lgelteunandm.html?gclid=CNmS2sbrs8ACFVQV... ) .
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overcoming lingering bursitis/tendonitis Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pirformis, tendonitis, bursitis, or something else?

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 681 Posts: 3

2013-03-11 12:04 PM MRDAVIDALEXANDER

1st Tri done but big question lingers.

Started by mkgonz
Views: 881 Posts: 8

2011-07-23 8:14 PM antman

Bursitis/tendonitis in knee

Started by travism
Views: 4698 Posts: 7

2011-04-20 9:15 AM chichitao

Lingering gluteus medius injury and HIM

Started by mndymond
Views: 1253 Posts: 6

2010-06-07 2:55 PM mndymond

Overcoming Patellar Tendonitis

Started by rbalazs
Views: 1994 Posts: 9

2007-11-26 3:19 PM SuzanneS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : November 11, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
My elbow bursitis is still bothersome but I really want to get back on my Cervelo P2 and not have to use my road bike without aerobars. What can I do to alleviate this and prevent it from happening?
date : April 24, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
This article discusses how to overcome your fears into getting started in triathlon.

date : December 28, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I think I have pes ansurine tendonitis. I have had tender to-the-touch pain on the medial aspect of both knees after riding. The pain is more acute the couple of days after a ride.