Louisville, Kentucky
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 12m 25s
Overall Rank = 82/2025
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/183
Pre-race routine:

Drove from Missouri to Kentucky the day before the race, so was a little stiff from 8 hours in the car. Got up at 4am and ate two bowls of cereal, then went back to bed. As with a marathon, I did not do any running warm up prior to the start. Got to my corral 30 minutes prior to the start, found a place on the ground to sit, and meditated for 20 minutes (+/-).
Event warmup:

Some light stretching but nothing more.
Run
  • 3h 12m 25s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

To date, this was the best run I ever had. Trained hard all winter and felt very prepared going in. Was a little nervous since Las Vegas last December was such a disaster--hit the wall at mile 14 and struggled to finish in under 4 hours. This time I felt very strong until mile 24, and even with that I had gas in the tank to spring the last quarter of a mile.

At mile 20, the race came together with the half-marathon group and I had enough energy to talk with many of those participants, encouraging them. That really took my mind off the 20 mile mark (worried about 'the wall') and it motivated me to run even faster. I believe that 3 mile stretch was my fastest pace time, and for me, one of the highlights of the race.

I did have to stop at a port-a-potty around mile 10 for a thirty second pit-stop. Dreaded having to stop as I knew it would cost me some time, but the relief no doubt helped in the long run (would have slowed me down to have to hold it), and the quick rest allowed me to quickly make up the time. In fact, knowing that I had lost half a minute probably encouraged me to pick up my pace a bit.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing particular. Walked back to the reunion area, met my father-in-law. Hugged him and shared that I had PR'd the race and qualified for the Boston Marathon...my ultimate goal. Then walked back to the hotel for a shower...and an 8 hour ride in the car back home...ugh.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Absolutely nothing except one potty stop, which in the long run, may have actually helped.

Last updated: 2013-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
03:12:25 | 26.2 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/183
Overall: 0/2025
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-27 4:49 PM

User image

Subject: Derby Festival Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Derby Festival Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon Relay

Started by Phillipians
Views: 1297 Posts: 1

2010-04-27 4:46 AM Phillipians

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon

Started by GirlGoin'Long
Views: 5423 Posts: 2

2009-07-22 12:25 PM Birkierunner

Started by timdude
Views: 1602 Posts: 4

2008-05-02 7:10 AM Shermbelle

Started by crusty
Views: 1023 Posts: 1

2007-04-29 2:59 PM crusty

Meijer Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon

Started by berlinsd
Views: 2781 Posts: 1

2005-11-06 8:48 PM berlinsd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.
date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!