General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike mount trouble Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-27 8:56 PM

Subject: Bike mount trouble
I have been having ongoing trouble (and resulting anxiety) getting on my tri bike and getting clipped in and going. I think a major issue is that although I have struggled with this since buying my new bike in May, my 2nd sprint tri this summer I was at the mount line and had a low-speed tip over and fell trying to get going. Ever since, getting on my bike makes me panicky.

At home I have very little difficulty - because I have it easy. I have a slight downhill to my driveway, and I'm able to hop on relatively easily, coast and get clipped in.

At last weekends sprint tri, I struggled again. Shaky legs from a hard swim and a quick transition, and a slight uphill at the mount line and I could NOT get going. It took me 4 attempts, wobbling, and although I didn't fall, I finished the race determined to fix this.

I'm 5'4", longer torso and shorter legs, and I bought a 51" (small) p2. Seat is down far, I'm very comfy riding, and my times are decent. My LBS owner convinced me not to buy a smaller frame over this, and that I needed to work on my "bike finesse" - which I tend to agree with him on. Because the fit seems appropriate.... Once I'm on.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that has or had trouble with this? I'm torn between trying to continue my current method of hop on, pedal, then clip in, or if I should try to clip in one foot to gain some momentum (which would have been helpful last weekend!). Any advice is MUCH appreciated!!

2014-08-27 10:46 PM
in reply to: kwhetzel4

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: RE: Bike mount trouble

I have had some issues with mounting in a crowd as well. I had a race last year where I had to climb a small hill on the plastic insoles of my shoes, which was not easy at all. A foot slipped off twice and I nearly fell over, and also nearly ran into another racer. I get to try to mount my bike in two weeks with 2500 of my closest friends at IMWI, as I will have a perfectly median swim time and come out of the water with a pack. I've seen people step into one cleat with the pedal in the forward position, then push off with the other foot and swing it over. You could also practice mounting with the shoes already clipped in, but that takes quite a bit of practice. That being said, it's definitely worth it to continue practicing as you are! Maybe consider trying to mount coming back up your driveway instead of down it. Continue to practice, practice, practice, both before and after rides. Also consider checking youtube as there are dozens of good videos available. Good luck!

2014-08-28 4:14 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
A tourist stopped an old man in New York... "I'm sorry sir, do you know the way to Carnegie Hall?" The old man smiled and replied "Practice."

Go find an empty parking lot with a slight incline. Repeat until comfortable.
2014-08-28 5:20 AM

User image

what others said below, but it could also be bike is slightly too big - I rode a cervelo (48") for several years (5'3") and I had many issues with it - while is nominally fit, once we started tweaking stuff to improve aero etc it could sketchy - finally, got on the fit machine and it was too big by at least a size
2014-08-28 5:38 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
What pedals do you have? If you don't have them already, I would recommend Speedplay's, which are double sided, so you don't have to look for the pedal. Their model, LightAction is just as the name implies very easy to clip in to.

2014-08-28 6:30 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by audiojan What pedals do you have? If you don't have them already, I would recommend Speedplay's, which are double sided, so you don't have to look for the pedal. Their model, LightAction is just as the name implies very easy to clip in to.

Biggest problem with this recommendation is that Speedplay cleats are probably the hardest to run in.

2014-08-28 6:36 AM

First off you're far from being alone. I surprisingly watched many bikers struggle at Sprint Nationals a couple weeks ago. 1. Run your bike well past the mount line. Everyone clogs up the first 5 feet of the start line...don't be one of them. 2. Make sure you're in an easy gear so you can easily turn the cranks as soon as your foot hits the pedal. 3. Practice. And for others that are thinking of using the rubber bands, remember to use short ones that will snap as soon as you push the pedal forward. Seems so obvious....but again it was comical how many people were pedaling away with rubber bands still intact. These are people at Nationals!
2014-08-28 6:53 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by audiojan

What pedals do you have? If you don't have them already, I would recommend Speedplay's, which are double sided, so you don't have to look for the pedal. Their model, LightAction is just as the name implies very easy to clip in to.

Make sure you get the light action, I'm assuming you don't weight a whole lot.

I put some greese on my speedplays it makes them easier to clip into.

Clip one foot in before you get moving then just start pedaling, the other should clip in. Anytime my pedal does not clip in I stand up for a second or two the extra weight pushes it right on.
2014-08-28 7:17 AM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by the bear

Originally posted by audiojan What pedals do you have? If you don't have them already, I would recommend Speedplay's, which are double sided, so you don't have to look for the pedal. Their model, LightAction is just as the name implies very easy to clip in to.

Biggest problem with this recommendation is that Speedplay cleats are probably the hardest to run in.

The huge problem with Speedplays is they're very hard to walk/run because a) the cleats don't have a grip option so you might as well be ice skating if trying to walk/run on a hard surface, b) the cleats are very bulky which makes walking/running more difficult, and c) the cleats can get all gunked up when walking in grass or dirt. Basically, they're a T1 or T2 nightmare. This is certainly mitigated if you clip your shoes into your pedals but that's not an option at many races (like IM). 

I love the Speedplay pedals and the theory behind their cleat system. I use them on my road bike. They suck for me when it comes to triathlon. The Look Keo Grip cleats work 1000x better for me. 

2014-08-28 7:55 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
run and jump on the bike and start pedaling. If you do a running mount you will get away from the crowd of people mounting right at the line then you also have some roll going to get your bearings and balance and clip in.
2014-08-28 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by GMAN 19030
The huge problem with Speedplays is they're very hard to walk/run because a) the cleats don't have a grip option so you might as well be ice skating if trying to walk/run on a hard surface,

If you have Speedplays, I highly recommend the "Keep On Covers"
www.keeponkovers.com

2014-08-28 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I think your current strategy of "hop on, pedal, then clip in" really only works if you have a downhill start so you can coast some if need be. It sounds like this is the situation at your house, so have become comfortable with that method. If no downhill start, you risk not getting any "purchase" between your carbon or plastic sole/cleat and the pedal when you "hop on, pedal", which equals no momentum which equals falling over. So, I would suggest either clipping in one shoe before starting so you can at least pedal with one leg to stay upright, or trying the method of riding on top of your already clipped-in shoes (if allowed at your race) until up to speed and on a flat or downhill stretch so you can coast and slip your feet in. This is really easier to do than it may sound, but does require Tri shoes versus regular bike shoes.

And, practice, practice, practice until comfortable you can do whatever method you choose in a race situation.
2014-08-28 12:29 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by ejshowers I think your current strategy of "hop on, pedal, then clip in" really only works if you have a downhill start so you can coast some if need be. It sounds like this is the situation at your house, so have become comfortable with that method. If no downhill start, you risk not getting any "purchase" between your carbon or plastic sole/cleat and the pedal when you "hop on, pedal", which equals no momentum which equals falling over. So, I would suggest either clipping in one shoe before starting so you can at least pedal with one leg to stay upright, or trying the method of riding on top of your already clipped-in shoes (if allowed at your race) until up to speed and on a flat or downhill stretch so you can coast and slip your feet in. This is really easier to do than it may sound, but does require Tri shoes versus regular bike shoes. And, practice, practice, practice until comfortable you can do whatever method you choose in a race situation.

That was going to be my input as well. I always clip my right foot before starting, put the right foot in the 1 o'clock position so I get a good power stoke to get going. The few times I've struggled getting the left foot in, the right keeps me moving--even uphill.

2014-08-28 8:01 PM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Originally posted by RockTractor

The huge problem with Speedplays is they're very hard to walk/run because a) the cleats don't have a grip option so you might as well be ice skating if trying to walk/run on a hard surface,

If you have Speedplays, I highly recommend the "Keep On Covers"
www.keeponkovers.com

Will these stay on while running in transition? I'm not comfortable leaving shoes on bike (yet), but saw these and thought about picking them up. Otherwise, I might just carry my shoes to just past the mount line and try to get them on there.
2014-08-29 5:34 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The huge problem with Speedplays is they're very hard to walk/run because a) the cleats don't have a grip option so you might as well be ice skating if trying to walk/run on a hard surface, b) the cleats are very bulky which makes walking/running more difficult, and c) the cleats can get all gunked up when walking in grass or dirt. Basically, they're a T1 or T2 nightmare. This is certainly mitigated if you clip your shoes into your pedals but that's not an option at many races (like IM). 

I love the Speedplay pedals and the theory behind their cleat system. I use them on my road bike. They suck for me when it comes to triathlon. The Look Keo Grip cleats work 1000x better for me. 

The risk of Speedplay's gunking up and making it difficult to clip in/out is way overstated… Yes, the risk is there, but in all my years of duathlons and triathlons, I have never had a single problem. Running with the cleats is a bit of "thought game", you need to shorten your step and not run full bore. But once you get on the bike, you can keep your eyes on other participants swerving in front of you rather than look down to find your pedals. A major benefit.

Another option that is actually not very hard at all is to keep the shoes clipped in. You don't need to jump on your bike, but step over the top tube and put one foot in. As you get rolling, get the other foot in and then close the straps. (although you need tri shoes for this to really work). Dismounting, but opening your shoes well before you need to get off and lift your heal out, pedaling with your toes. At dismount line, step out of your shoes and get off the bike. Makes it very easy to run and you don't have to worry about clipping in or out.
2014-08-29 6:29 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by audiojan

The risk of Speedplay's gunking up and making it difficult to clip in/out is way overstated… Yes, the risk is there, but in all my years of duathlons and triathlons, I have never had a single problem. Running with the cleats is a bit of "thought game", you need to shorten your step and not run full bore. But once you get on the bike, you can keep your eyes on other participants swerving in front of you rather than look down to find your pedals. A major benefit.

Another option that is actually not very hard at all is to keep the shoes clipped in. You don't need to jump on your bike, but step over the top tube and put one foot in. As you get rolling, get the other foot in and then close the straps. (although you need tri shoes for this to really work). Dismounting, but opening your shoes well before you need to get off and lift your heal out, pedaling with your toes. At dismount line, step out of your shoes and get off the bike. Makes it very easy to run and you don't have to worry about clipping in or out.

^^^Agreed, I have been using speedplay for about 4 years and only once hade a problem with gunk in the cleat. That was because I had to put my bike on my shoulder and walk through a creek.

For Eagleman 2013 it rained for days before the even and transition was a giant mudfest. Lots of people were clipping their shoes in and running through the mud, however I did not want to do that beacause I had no desire to ride 56 miles with mud in my shoes. I ran in my shoes instead and figured I might lose a minute cleaning them out at the mount line. As it turn out I clipped right in with no problems.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike mount trouble Rss Feed