General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming off surgery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-28 7:38 AM

Subject: Coming off surgery
I've always been an avid runner, logging 50-60 miles a week, when knee surgery sidelined my past two summers. While I've been out of the running game,(microfracture/ meniscus in late April) I picked up a cannondale caad8. Been putting in some miles with the bike(wish I picked up a tri bike) and looking for any advice with the bike/swim(wetsuit). I know it's late in the season being from New England but when the doctor clears me in two months, I've got 70.3 on my mind. Any and all help would be awesome. Any cool shops in the north shore area of Mass that anyone can recommend? Again still very new to all of it but am dead set on competing in a half. Until then I'll be on my bike, while it's still nice out, and in the pool.

2014-08-28 12:57 PM
in reply to: KC917

User image

Subject: RE: Coming off surgery
When are you aiming for the half-IM?

My only advice is to be really conservative as you add back the running. You are essentially starting from scratch. Don't be tempted to push it hard on the run with your cardio fitness from the bike-- you need to allow your running muscles and connective tissues to adapt (especially those in your lower legs and feet). You might benefit from following a running plan as part of a rehab program with a physical therapist. General rule-- start with LESS than you think you can handle, and gradually build from there. Running should be easy-paced as you rebuild.

I know a guy who came off knee surgery and was able to start cycling first-- did a lot of cycling and then started running. Probably ran a bit too aggressively, and just blew out his knee again-- about two months after he started running again.
2014-08-28 5:05 PM
in reply to: #5044421

I know it's going to be a long road. It's going to be tough as hell when he clears me to run, and not be able to go all out and really get back into it. The hardest part I figure is the holding back, but it gives me time to work on the bike and swim.

I was thinking doing a few sprints to get the feel of the race in general and the transition part of it but the first one I looked at was the "Patriot", in foxboro in June. Not sure if that's enough time. Realistically probably one in the fall. Still piecing it all together. My minds there and my body will follow, given time.

Thanks for your response and help.

2014-08-28 7:02 PM

User image

You live in my old stomping grounds, but I know nothing about the triathlon scene there. Good luck with the comeback-- be patient and you will get there.
2014-08-28 10:31 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Patriot is a great HIM race.  It isn't in Foxboro though but down in SE Mass it is held in Cathedral Camp. They even have an aquabike option if you are not up to running 13.1 then.

In MA and NE there are a lot of great races. Mothers Day is usually the first races of the season in open water.  There are a few pool swim sprints that FIRM puts on and many other good HIMs later in the season. Pumpkinman which I think is in NH or ME is a favorite and one you could go up this year and volunteer and get even more excited to do it next year.

Building up to running after big knee surgeries needs to be slow and wise. Pushing to do an early season HIM may not be a wise choice for your first year. I hope you have a great PT and Ortho that will be guiding you back to running.

I had scope and a super big knee surgery which in the end didn't get back to running and my tri days are behind me. Pushing to do to much to soon may be part of the reason my knee declined so rapidly.

I hope you enjoy the sport and can keep your knee healthy and injury free over time.

2014-08-29 7:09 AM
in reply to: #5044673

Patience and easing back into running seems to be the general consensus.
Thanks for the heads up about the Patriot info and Pumpkinman plug. Never thought if volunteering one first too. Looked into the Pumpkinman but I have a wedding. That halfs in south berwick Maine I think it said. Looks pretty cool.
Thanks again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming off surgery Rss Feed