General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training mask (high altitude simulation training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-01 1:45 PM
in reply to: tlancer23

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: training mask (high altitude simulation training)
Originally posted by tlancer23

You are putting words into my mouth. I haven't asked anyone to ignore anything. You are free to ignore my experience with the product. I don't recall asking anyone to do anything other than to open their minds to trying the mask. My position is that I think anyone that has trained with this would appreciate it. I think the use of 'collective experience' in this example is a bit loose because nobody has pointed to an actual experience with the training mask, instead, seem to have made individual assumptions- though I'm sure considerable knowledge is being applied. I don't think collective experience is necessarily better than experiencing it yourself, you will be hard-pressed to persuade me to think differently. Even theories don't quite simplify or fully explain many facets of our complex life... especially when applying them to an little-known product. When I purchased my training mask, I used my own collective experience then combined it with actual experience to formulate my opinion. Sometimes you just have to conclude for yourself. I'm not afraid to question what others say. If you are making your conclusions without ever trying on a training mask, you can make an educated guess but you will never truly know if it benefits you or anyone. If painting my bike red motivates me to train harder, makes me believe I am faster, or what if this red paint is lighter in weight than the original paint, which the collective experience hadn't considered? Then it resoundingly does make me faster. Our reality is constructed entirely by our perceptions. If you think I am missing everyone's point, then you are justly right. If I am using the wrong approach or not changing anyone's position on the value of the training mask or of experiential learning, no problems here. This is simply a respectful, voluntary discussion.

Here's a few of the links I found of others that have appeared to have tried this training mask, that wasn't somehow associated to the sale of the mask. There weren't many, most reviews are posted by retailers. Both generally feel that comparing the mask to actual altitude training is false but do validate it's usefulness. I only found one article with a negative take on it (in which, again, it is not clear whether the author ever actually wore one), which the author based his views by claiming that training at actual altitude is not beneficial... explain that to the Ethiopia marathon team and the USOC. Was the Synergy word found on www.trainingmask.com? I didn't see it there.

http://www.boxlifemagazine.com/training/high-altitude-training-mask...
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/training-masks-idea...

Not having used the equipment does not preclude anyone from determining if there is any evidence based reason for it to work. Even though you are not paid by the company, you still have a vested interest in the product...perhaps something as little as: wanting it to work to justify the purchase and time spent using it. Sorry, but that clouds your judgement and any perceived benefits could be written off as placebo effect. The same can be true of the articles you posted.

You mention that you will develop a stronger diaphragm due to increased ventilation effort. I can totally believe that! Everyone has breathed through a straw or snorkel and knows that effect. Instead of arguing that that is such a great benefit, find a controlled, peer-reviewed study that links stronger diaphragms with increased athletic performance.

2014-09-01 3:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Originally posted by dfroelich

Originally posted by Billyk

I actually did my Thesis researching such a device with cyclist. End result, no significant difference.

Would you mind sharing the citation?

Ditto.....as I continue to save $$$ for hypoxic generator & tent

Edited by TJHammer 2014-09-01 4:00 PM
2014-09-01 9:10 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Pro

Ain't no mountain too high!

(altitude.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
altitude.jpg (57KB - 8 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training mask (high altitude simulation training) Rss Feed  

of 2