General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Prius owners w/bikes and lots of gear? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-28 10:10 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Any Prius owners w/bikes and lots of gear?
Anyone here drive a Prius that carry a lot of their gear around? I'm starting to look at some used models (2011-2013) and might pull the trigger this coming week?

How is the bike storage? FWIW I have a size L Trek SC, and a 56" Specialized Tarmac
I want to go rack less for my bikes, skis, snowboards, etc. will they all fit inside?

Anyone want t chime in with their experience good or bad?

I'll be borrowing my buddies next week just looking for more opinions/insight

2014-08-29 4:47 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Subject: RE: Any Prius owners w/bikes and lots of gear?
My partner has one and although I have never put my bike in it, we have fitted a washing maching, 55" tv etc in there. With the seats down there's actually a lot of room for such a sized car!
2014-08-29 5:49 AM
in reply to: #5044746

I don't have my Prius anymore (darn kids.... now I drive a minivan!). However had to chime in and say mine was one of the roomiest cars I've ever owned!! With the hatchback design and seats down, I've fit stuff in that wouldn't fit in other friends mid size SUVs! I don't think you'll be lacking in space one bit. Enjoy!
2014-08-29 6:04 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I just bought Prius V and my bike fits fine in the back without having to take off the front wheel. For the first couple of tanks of gas I'm getting around 46-47 mpg for both city and highway driving. The V is 5.5" longer than the standard Prius and I don't think a bike would fit without taking off the front wheel.
2014-08-29 7:27 AM
in reply to: nickster

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-29 8:21 AM
in reply to: Qak180

Master
Crab Cake City
Not a Prius (wife and I test drove one but I could not fit in it, too tall) so we went with a Honda Fit and boy it sure deserves that name! We can fit both of your bikes in the car, standing up (wheels off) tri bags, wheels and our dog no problem. Coming back from IMMT this year we had 2 weeks worth of luggage, my bike, set of golf clubs, cooler and some other bags full of gifts and still had plenty of room. Gets good gas milage but probably not as good as the Prius and was decently priced. Worth a look depending on what the prius does for you as far as fitting all of your stuff. I know the Fit was a few thousand cheaper then the prius when we were looking too.

2014-08-29 8:54 AM

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I have a 2010 that I bought used last year and my 56cm tribike with front wheel on will fit in the back with the seats down no problem.  Dealer gave me a 1.25" hitch they took off a trade-in (salesman was a cyclist) and I use a cheap 2-bike platform bike rack I got from Nashbar on one of the holiday sales with free shipping.

BTW, I see no difference in mph with Eco, Normal or so called "Power" modes.

2014-08-29 9:11 AM
in reply to: Donto

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Donto

I have a 2010 that I bought used last year and my 56cm tribike with front wheel on will fit in the back with the seats down no problem.  Dealer gave me a 1.25" hitch they took off a trade-in (salesman was a cyclist) and I use a cheap 2-bike platform bike rack I got from Nashbar on one of the holiday sales with free shipping.

Donto, I am try to keep my bike in my car. I have been rear ended with a hitch rack and rook rack. Luckily when I had the hitch rack my bike wasn't on but with the roof rack my bike as totaled. Yes being hit at a dead stop by an F150 going 30 mph will knock your bike off the rack and total it.
2014-08-29 9:23 AM

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Better the bike get destroyed on the rack than impaling you inside the car!  Man getting nailed that hard hope you had no lingering issues from it.

Originally posted by bcagle25

Donto, I am try to keep my bike in my car. I have been rear ended with a hitch rack and rook rack. Luckily when I had the hitch rack my bike wasn't on but with the roof rack my bike as totaled. Yes being hit at a dead stop by an F150 going 30 mph will knock your bike off the rack and total it.

2014-08-29 12:18 PM
in reply to: Donto

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Better the bike get destroyed on the rack than impaling you inside the car!  Man getting nailed that hard hope you had no lingering issues from it.

Originally posted by bcagle25

ZERO. it was a miracle, not a scratch on me. Trunk in backseat. Walked away completely fine. Good karma

Wear your seat belts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Prius owners w/bikes and lots of gear? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri bike p0rn - lots of work put into picking the perfect bike

Started by luv2flyjrn
Views: 1857 Posts: 13

2012-08-22 10:30 AM SoberTriGuy

running lots- how much is lots?

Started by chayes
Views: 1324 Posts: 15

2011-11-28 2:29 PM Scout7

IM MOO gear bags left in Alliant parking lot

Started by darbaugh
Views: 812 Posts: 1

2010-09-13 10:07 PM darbaugh

bike lots = win, swim lots = ?? Pages: 1 2

Started by danCC
Views: 2707 Posts: 30

2007-05-28 5:48 PM Focker out!

Can you fit a bike in a Prius?

Started by valdonerie
Views: 5057 Posts: 24

2007-05-21 12:46 PM justalittletri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Glenn
I have seen cyclists go to a bike shop the day before a race expecting their problem to be fixed, only to be told the shop cannot complete the job in time.

date : October 31, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Getting fall discounts on triathlon equipment is more difficult than finding the Great Pumpkin, right? Well, I’m here to say it isn’t so. Deals for triathletes are plentiful - you just have to look.
date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.

date : September 8, 2004
author : TriSports.com
comments : 3
Online triathlon superstore, created for triathletes, by triathletes. We carry the highest quality triathlon equipment, triathlon gear and triathlon apparel.