General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Sizing Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-29 12:00 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: Bike Sizing Question

I am looking at adding a road bike to the stable.  Talked to a local pro racer looking to unload his last year's race bike.  This bike is so sweet and he is selling at a fraction of it's value.  Problem is the frame is one size smaller than what my research is telling me would be my ideal fit.  Inseam is within parameters (I have short legs) but am concerned about reach.  I can move seat back a bit and use a longer stem if I need to.

Now, I know how important fit is and am going to take the bike in to a get some expert fitting advice but what is the conventional wisdom?  Can one get away with going down (or up) on a frame size if you can get your measurements reasonably close with other adjustments? 

2014-08-29 12:04 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Bike Sizing Question
I would think that you could go down a frame size but not up.
2014-08-29 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Road bikes are more forgiving from a fit perspective because there are less contact points.

I seem to recall Dan Empfield making some comments on ST over the years the he's far more comfortable with sizing someone down on a tri bike than on a road bike.  Try to search for some of his comments.  So opposite of your thinking here.

Road bikes tend to have longer top tubes for the "same size" bike (let's say a 56cm Cervelo P-series vs a 56cm Cervelo R-series).

2014-08-29 5:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Thanks for the reference to Dan Empfield.  I read a few of his articles and branched out from there.  It was a little hard to decipher because tri bike vs. road bike seem to have a few different principles with fit philosophy and it can be hard to keep straight which he is referrring to.  I also found this quote below based on FIST.  I am thinking I may have to go to a 120mm stem to make this work which I do not think would is to far out there to dramatically alter steering. 

Top Tube and Stem Length

Next, we dial in the correct "reach" to the bar, or horizontal fit. Proper reach gives you easier breathing, better neck and lower back comfort, and better weight distribution and bike handling.

Some will say that you can always adjust the reach with a shorter or longer stem.  To an extent that is true, however if you change the stem length too much it will dramatically effect the steering of the bicycle.  The stem is essentially the lever arm you use to pivot the fork.  If it’s long it takes a more concerted effort to turn it (or to be turned, if you hit an obstacle).  If it’s short, the bike will be twitchy and nervous.  It’s best to stay close to a standard stem length and get a bike with a top tube length that fits your body position.

Edited by popsracer 2014-08-29 5:10 PM
2014-08-30 7:25 AM

, Wisconsin
I think you should be fine. Personally, I find a bike that is one size large to be uncomfortable, but one size small is just fine. An extra 10mm on the stem should not effect handling much at all.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Sizing Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

general bike sizing question - chart?

Started by darbaugh
Views: 848 Posts: 4

2009-04-17 1:48 PM pjtriman

Bike sizing question

Started by stateu
Views: 753 Posts: 6

2008-12-13 3:51 PM mat steinmetz

Bike Sizing Question

Started by Aarondb4
Views: 1445 Posts: 10

2008-11-23 1:56 PM GeekyTriGuy

Quintana Roo Bike sizing question.

Started by ousooner45
Views: 18249 Posts: 11

2008-11-13 12:48 PM MQsack

Bike size question

Started by Fred D
Views: 998 Posts: 6

2007-02-13 12:51 PM Rocket Man
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.