World Triathlon Corporation
90sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 59m 24s
Overall Rank = 1373/2095
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 184/256
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed the night before around 10p and woke up to the sound of drunken clowns in the room next door around 2:15a. Watched TV until around 4, had some oat meal and Gatorade, gathered my gear and two college friends who made the trip for me, and headed down to transition. On the way we met up with a coworker and his wife who was racing. Got our bikes ready, got marked up and headed to wait in line. Ended up just past the boat house which was about 1/3 of the way through the line.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 1h 04m 43s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was a little congested going upstream, had some contact but not much. Maintained easy/warm up pace until the tip of Towhead Island and then started stretching it out a bit. Made it to the turn buoy at 32min. and still felt good. Turned downstream and stayed on the left edge of the main travel lane. Very minimal contact from here on out and made it to the first bridge in under an hour. A few short minutes later I was at the finish being hauled out.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I was prepared and had a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 11m 48s
Comments:

The changing tent was chaos. I was hoping a good swim would give me some more open space here but not the case. A great volunteer grabbed a seat for me and helped with my gear. I didn't rush but didn't go slow either, think I was only in the tent about 5 minutes

Nothing
Bike
  • 7h 30m 31s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.92 mile/hr
Comments:

My plan was to go comfortable but steady and never feel like I was working too hard. I figured that was the best way for me to save my legs for the marathon. My coworker's wife Toni passed me just out of transition. Gave her a shout out and kept going. I averaged about 16mph in the flat 10 miles out of town and then started the hills. Just kept spinning up the hills and going comfortable on the way down. Pretty soon I hit the out and back, gave a high five to the Grim Reaper and hit the aid station.

The rest was pretty uneventful until I made the turn on 42. I was pleasantly surprised to have a light tail wind which did wonders for my frame of mind. Knowing that would be there for the 2nd time around was great. The road had been paved since 2012 and was very smooth compared to then. Plus, no tacks!!

Wound my way back into LaGrange and hit the special needs for a banana and some more lube. Around 1:30 or so the sun really started to come out and it was getting hotter.

Made the turn onto 42 for the last time and felt really good. That tail wind was so much better than the head wind in 2012. It helped me up my avg. speed by one mph. and helped me get my 7 1/2 hr. goal. Just kept cruising along comfortably and pretty soon I was in transition. I saw my coworker's support crew and also my college buddies. A few words with them and off to the tent.

Drink a little more, I had one bottle of Perform between each aid station but I was a little thirstier than I think I should've been when I reached transition. Otherwise not much, I ate well and had a Frogg Togg around my neck which was nice and wet and cool.
Transition 2
  • 16m 10s
Comments:

Being a slow rider means more space in the tent. I could actually move around a bit getting my stuff ready. Again had a great volunteer taking care of me. Got my stuff changed and away I went.

Nothing
Run
  • 5h 56m 12s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good hitting the run course. My goal was to run the whole thing no matter how slow of a pace. It was still very hot and I was sweating pretty heavy. It seemed like there was more people walking than I would have thought but maybe most of those were on their 2nd lap. I was able to keep a pace between 12-13min/mile which was fine with me. Around the 10 mile mark I saw Toni heading up on her 2nd lap. Another shout out and some high fives and we split.

My feet were sore but otherwise I was doing okay up until the 19 mile mark. I started to feel the beginning stages of wooziness setting in. I had been taking plenty of fluid in but not enough other calories and it was catching up. I slowed to a fast walk (not much faster than my run pace) and started eating as much as I could stand at the next few aid stations. Around the 22 I actually started to feel better and started my 200 step run/100 step walk routine. Between 24 and 25 I was able to run for a few minutes and only took about a minute to walk for a break. Finally rounded the corner on 4th St. and took it on in to the finish.

Now here's the thing I think is ironic about endurance events. Even though you spend hours on a course, you can still be mere seconds over or under your goal. My secondary goal for that race was to be under 15 hours. It turns out that I made it by about 30 seconds. So if I had done one single thing different, another porta-potty stop, lingered just a little longer with my friends, or stopped at special needs on the run and I wouldn't have made it. Figure that one out!

Eat more, should have taken in a little more than I did at each aid station and I think I would have been fine.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a bottle of water and chocolate milk, I can never eat much after long races. Walked out of the finish area with my friends and met up with Toni and her fans. Was able to call my wife who couldn't make the trip but was able to watch my finish on line. Hung around for a few more minutes and then headed back to the hotel for a looooooong shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm still a novice cyclist so experience and strength in that area. Better nutrition on the run and maybe a little more strength there too. It was my 2nd time here so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. With all that in mind I still knocked 48 minutes off my previous time.

Event comments:

I love this race and have nothing but good memories from here. The volunteers are top notch. The course and supporters were great. Ironman does a great job with this race.

Last updated: 2014-03-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:04:43 | 3800 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 43/256
Overall: 444/2095
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 1/3 distance upstream between Towhead Island and shoreline before turning up and across current to the turn. 2/3 distance straight line downstream to finish.
Start type: Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 11:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
07:30:31 | 112 miles | 14.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 199/256
Overall: 1500/2095
Performance:
Avg. 128bpm
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 16:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:56:12 | 26.2 miles | 13m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 184/256
Overall: 1363/2095
Performance:
HR avg. 138bpm
Course: 2 loop out and back, all flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-08-29 12:49 PM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Subject: Ironman Louisville
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by PureGrrr
Views: 3705 Posts: 8

2007-09-01 9:35 PM marymosc13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by Neil Hammond
Views: 3570 Posts: 3

2007-08-28 8:38 PM CitySky

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 8019 Posts: 33

2007-09-08 9:45 PM joannh13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by irongirl39
Views: 4212 Posts: 13

2007-09-02 10:36 AM run joe run

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by katimomma
Views: 7760 Posts: 26

2007-09-01 10:26 AM stephen strange
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.
date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.