General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hate the taper! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-29 7:08 PM

Subject: I hate the taper!
I haven't ran or rode my bike in several days. This bites. I race tomorrow though. How much time should I lay low before a race??? I was thinking 4 to 5 days. If I race in 5 to 10 events a season, that'll be a lot of "can't ride my bike' time. I'm new to this so any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

2014-08-29 8:00 PM
in reply to: #5045078

Subject: RE: I hate the taper!
It depends on your definition of "lay low" if I race on Saturday the latest I will do any sort of hard-ish workout is Tuesday. I like to take Thursday and Friday off completely before a Saturday race but I have read it's good the day before a race to do a workout for 15-20minutes and get a good sweat going. I just feel like the week of a race I'm not going to make significant performance gains and my body needs to rest more than anything
2014-08-30 7:11 AM
in reply to: respro

What you can do is divide your season up and categorize your races based on "importance."

You might have 2 or 3 races that you consider the most important. These are your "A" races. You can but your next batch of races in category "B," and the least important in category "C."

Generally you will be training the hardest prior to your "A" races, and for those its best to have an actual taper. For the "B" races, you may want to "train through," but perhaps build in a recovery week into your training plan as a "pseudo-taper," and not schedule your most difficult workouts just prior to the race. For the "C" races, you can just consider them as hard workouts.

And tapers themselves are a bit tricky. It depends on the volume of your training and distance of the event, but also depends on the individual to some extent. Tapers are also not about "laying low." Tapers are a scheduled reduction in volume over a period of time, not just stopping training a few days before a race.
2014-08-30 12:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Doing nothing several days before a race can lead to feeling kind of stale on race day, at least for me.  I've tried a lot of things and seem to do best if I do some very short workouts towards the end of the week.  I think everyone is different as to what works best.  Keep track of your taper weeks so you can look back at what worked and what didn't.  

Edited by popsracer 2014-08-30 12:14 PM
2014-08-31 11:10 AM
in reply to: respro

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by respro I haven't ran or rode my bike in several days. This bites. I race tomorrow though. How much time should I lay low before a race??? I was thinking 4 to 5 days. If I race in 5 to 10 events a season, that'll be a lot of "can't ride my bike' time. I'm new to this so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Why aren't you biking or running??

For most people, the optimum taper involves continuing to train near planned race intensities, with just as much frequency as the weeks leading up to taper, but sessions that are shorter in length.

IME, when done well, most people love tapering, because they finally get some rest, and arrive at race day feeling like a super hero.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hate the taper! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To Taper or NOT to Taper.....

Started by bmeere
Views: 839 Posts: 8

2011-07-18 4:57 PM TriMyBest

To taper or not to taper???

Started by cycle_todd
Views: 1235 Posts: 11

2009-02-12 1:15 PM JorgeM

Did I mention I hate Mondays?

Started by aphoric
Views: 621 Posts: 3

2004-07-19 5:22 PM aphoric

How do I not hate to run?

Started by Crash_Man
Views: 1543 Posts: 14

2004-03-22 9:50 AM Tiger Phil

I hate breakfast so....

Started by mikenhe
Views: 1941 Posts: 22

2012-06-19 12:11 PM bhctri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 27, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
You may find your taper plan changing from week to week, based on how your body responds to the actual taper.

date : July 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I'm tapering this week for my first sprint triathlon. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calorie intake for the decreased workout load? How do I make sure I am properly fueled for the race?
date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?

date : March 20, 2007
author : dawnieruns
comments : 2
It's funny, there are so many people who hate even the thought of running, or even of jogging slowly! I can't imagine my life without it.
date : January 7, 2007
author : medic0020
comments : 5
From a Hate-Hate Relationship to a Love-Hate Relationship

date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.