General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Des Moines HyVee now a sprint for most of us Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-29 9:58 PM

Subject: Des Moines HyVee now a sprint for most of us
http://www.hy-veetriathlon.com/press-releases/heavy-rains-force-hy-...

As of now, this is the only information out there. The race management company has not contacted athletes at this point.

2014-08-29 10:03 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: Des Moines HyVee now a sprint for most of us
sucks...
2014-08-29 10:22 PM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

Hell yah it does.

Are there any other Olympic distance races out there in the next few weeks within a few hundred miles of St. Louis that I could still get into?

On one hand, I understand it.
On the other hand, those roads and the paths in the park were flooded early this morning.

I suppose I will still go...spend two nights in a hotel.

But this was going to be my first Olympic distance and I'm really frustrated. It just throws a huge wrench in things.
2014-08-29 10:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Doing the same. Live in Kansas City. There is a smaller local OLY in Lawrence, KS on 9/14. That would be a drive, though.
2014-08-29 10:38 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Getting to spend that much money and all the travel expenses to do a sprint distance race doesn't excite me at all. I'm sure it will still be a top notch event though. What upsets me the most is that transition still closes at 6:45 but my Age Group race doesn't start till 8:00. Luckily I'm in one of the first waves, but what the hell am I and all those other people suppose to do for over 2:15 after transition closes? Just incredibly stupid in my opinion. Have a separate transition for the pro's and leave ours open later. Nothing I love more than waking up at 5:00 for a 9:00 race......
2014-08-29 10:40 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
It's going to suck. BUT I am happy we get to see the pros race. I was just hoping they'd go off in the early afternoon like they used to.

2014-08-29 10:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
I do think it's funny we'll sit around for 3 hours for a 1 hour race...
2014-08-29 11:11 PM
in reply to: #5045125

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Well I'm ticked! It's my first triathlon as well and I was looking forward to the challenge of a Olympic distance race. I don't understand why the elite cup still gets the distance and were knocked down........ugh
2014-08-29 11:20 PM

Originally posted by m.a.burghart

I do think it's funny we'll sit around for 3 hours for a 1 hour race...

I think it sucks. They should let us swim. It's not like the lake is flooded.
Then we could all bring trainers and treadmills and do the full Olympic bike and run before we get in the water.
2014-08-29 11:26 PM
in reply to: #5045144

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I understand they need to look out for the safety of everyone but leaving the race distance for 50 people and changing it for the remaining 1950 people.....majority should win or I want a little refund on my $$ haha
2014-08-29 11:36 PM
in reply to: #5045148

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
In all seriousness even though I am truly bummed about the changes, I've done my past 3 months training for the Olympic distance. I've never done a triathlon so I'm clueless as to effort for a sprint versus Olympic; so I wonder what last minute advice anyone has about doing a sprint when you trained for twice the distance? I certainly want to enjoy my first triathlon experience but I have no clue how to gage the intensity now....any suggestions?

2014-08-30 8:41 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ChemNerd23 I understand they need to look out for the safety of everyone but leaving the race distance for 50 people and changing it for the remaining 1950 people.....majority should win or I want a little refund on my $$ haha

Not racing, but was curious so took a look. The elites usually run this completely on their own, so there are only 50 people to consider, actually less as it may be men and women running separately. The bike course is 4 laps for them running the Oly. Plenty of space for this few people. It would be absolutely horrible fitting so many age groupers in though. It's still laps for them, but only 2  for 20k total being a sprint. That's still is likely to have some congestion issues coming up and they'll really be trying to play with start times and estimated speeds of various age groups so that earlier saves can clear the course before too many later ones get on there at the same time.

The effort level for a sprint tri is just a bit harder than the Oly. The burn will come on quicker and hurt more, but it doesn't last as long.

2014-08-30 9:55 AM

User image

Originally posted by jhaack39

Hell yah it does.

Are there any other Olympic distance races out there in the next few weeks within a few hundred miles of St. Louis that I could still get into?

On one hand, I understand it.
On the other hand, those roads and the paths in the park were flooded early this morning.

I suppose I will still go...spend two nights in a hotel.

But this was going to be my first Olympic distance and I'm really frustrated. It just throws a huge wrench in things.

I feel for you, BIG TIME. I live just outside of Des Moines (15 minutes from venue) so it's not as big of a deal for me. You will find race in your area! I know there are a few.
2014-08-30 9:56 AM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77

Getting to spend that much money and all the travel expenses to do a sprint distance race doesn't excite me at all. I'm sure it will still be a top notch event though. What upsets me the most is that transition still closes at 6:45 but my Age Group race doesn't start till 8:00. Luckily I'm in one of the first waves, but what the hell am I and all those other people suppose to do for over 2:15 after transition closes? Just incredibly stupid in my opinion. Have a separate transition for the pro's and leave ours open later. Nothing I love more than waking up at 5:00 for a 9:00 race......

I think they may have changed the start times to 8:30 as well. We are going to be sitting around FOREVER. Bring a snack and some extra water/Gatorade. I may even have to have a cup of coffee!
2014-08-30 9:58 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by ChemNerd23 I understand they need to look out for the safety of everyone but leaving the race distance for 50 people and changing it for the remaining 1950 people.....majority should win or I want a little refund on my $$ haha

Not racing, but was curious so took a look. The elites usually run this completely on their own, so there are only 50 people to consider, actually less as it may be men and women running separately. The bike course is 4 laps for them running the Oly. Plenty of space for this few people. It would be absolutely horrible fitting so many age groupers in though. It's still laps for them, but only 2  for 20k total being a sprint. That's still is likely to have some congestion issues coming up and they'll really be trying to play with start times and estimated speeds of various age groups so that earlier saves can clear the course before too many later ones get on there at the same time.

The effort level for a sprint tri is just a bit harder than the Oly. The burn will come on quicker and hurt more, but it doesn't last as long.

I'll be honest, I am scared. I have been training for IMFL and I am the slowest I've been run-wise in a few years. I haven't been doing my speed work like normal because it's not in my training plan. I am going to get my butt kicked. I was hoping to finish in the top 5 of my age group in the Oly but not sure I'll be in the top 10 of the spring. Hee hee. Funny how every distance is different. Good news is that the swim is still 750. It's similar to Copper Creek Triathlon if any of you have done that.
2014-08-30 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by ChemNerd23

Well I'm ticked! It's my first triathlon as well and I was looking forward to the challenge of a Olympic distance race. I don't understand why the elite cup still gets the distance and were knocked down........ugh

It sucks and it happens, be thankful they can still provide a race. You'll get your shot at the olympic soon enough now you just get to push that much harder.

The reason the elites get the full course is that they are doing loops. 30 cyclists on a 4 loop course is no biggie, 2000 is simply not possible. They are also racing for a 100K payout at first so they have a bit more "invested" in that race.

2014-08-30 8:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Good luck tomorrow everyone! Mirinda Carfrae told me to "just go hard" haha excellent venue so far and looking forward to race morning (I should probably get to bed hehe).

Edited by ChemNerd23 2014-08-30 8:53 PM
2014-08-30 9:45 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by ChemNerd23

Good luck tomorrow everyone! Mirinda Carfrae told me to "just go hard" haha excellent venue so far and looking forward to race morning (I should probably get to bed hehe).

Nice! Race tips from Miranda Carfrae. She might know a thing or two about racing.

Sorry to hear about the shortened race. It's a bummer but all you can do is go and race it and enjoy it as much as possible. (I guess you could not race but that seems silly)
2014-08-31 3:45 PM
in reply to: #5045125

Yah...this event was one Olympic length away from being sublime. Well...minus the 3 hour wait. That was really annoying. Cool weather, warmish water.

Also, I suppose choppisendng the race to less than half what you've trained for does allow you to pretty much go bollocks to the wall. I decided to. Decided I would just kick it up a notch every time I felt like laying back. Totallynothing like the race plan i'd been working on for weeks.

Cracked off a personal record average speed on the run for any distance...training or race. Bike was pretty darn fast for me as well. Right around top 3rd overall age group if you count the teams I beat. Just can't include the ones that beat me. Way higher statistically in my age group than any race yet. And there were far more serious folks here than any I've done yet.
2014-09-01 8:40 AM
in reply to: #5045471

User image

I ended up getting first in my age group in the regular Hy-Vee triathlon. My swim was decent but so hard to race hard with time trial due to lack of drafting and not as much immediate competition. Bike was so flat and fast so happy with that. Run was worse than mediocre, but saw that coming. Just not in 5K shape! In general, glad I raced. Great weather and water felt great. BTW, dont think it was truly over 78 degrees.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Des Moines HyVee now a sprint for most of us Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Des Moines two weeks after Twin Cities?

Started by freckle face
Views: 582 Posts: 2

2007-10-11 11:54 AM SSMinnow

Des Moines ITU Triathlon on TV Pages: 1 2

Started by Bripod
Views: 1591 Posts: 35

2007-07-17 11:09 PM gocorey

ITU WORLD CUP - HyVee Triathlon - Des Moines, IOWA

Started by brptak
Views: 1350 Posts: 1

2007-02-27 10:23 PM brptak

Hy-Vee ITU World Cup Triathlon: Des Moines

Started by oipolloi
Views: 1102 Posts: 8

2006-12-31 3:14 PM oipolloi

Big Creek Tri in Des Moines

Started by mr2tony
Views: 464 Posts: 1

2006-08-08 2:12 PM mr2tony
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.