Set Up Events
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 19s
Overall Rank = 9/50
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

This race was a warmup for my wife's half ironman in augusta in september. We stayed at the marriot (ironman host hotel) and ate at the bee knees restaurant, great food. got up at the hotel at 5 did the standard coffee and steel cut oats. on the drive over had water and at even site had a banana. 1 hour prior to anti-fatigue caps. 15 minutes prior to a roctane. made sure to get a bunch of water as the heat was coming. race start temps were mids 70's but by race end it had climbed into upper 80's for sprint and 90's for international
Event warmup:

got to race at 6, got the bikes off and transition setup. BRING A LIGHT. the transition area was dark until 6:25, if you do not have light then this is a difficult time to setup transition, they did not have a generator running so no light was available. I didn't feel safe riding on the road until 6:45 so I got about a mile in on the bike everything felt good, we back to TA and got ready for event start. oylmpic went of 20 minutes before sprint so in between their start and out start swam 150-200m to get warmed up.
Swim
  • 15m 33s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

This year the international and sprint shared the course, international swam 2 laps, sprint swam 1. this is a very good plan and very similar to try charleston swim start. I positioned myself on inside left and got off to a good start but soon ran into internationals on second lap that were swimming slower, I tried to get right but ran into heavy sprint traffic. so i just fought my way through until I hit the 1st bouy to turn left. this opened up and from here to the rest of way i held a good pace and found a good breathing rythm. made it to the swim finish but had to wait a few second to get onto the low platform dock becuase there were too many people getting out ahead of me. i ran up the hill 100m and hit the transition mat.
What would you do differently?:

not setup up on inside left, i could have setup far right and been much faster by keeping clear of the traffic.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

ran 300m after hitting the timing matt, so 1:45 of T1 was due to running. there was grass to run on but it was bumpy and had a few rocks to beware of. coming out of transition into the run is a bit rough but it was covered by a green mat. also, as soon as you mount you are moving up a hill, several people struggled with the mount.

nothing
Bike
  • 33m 45s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 22.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I came out with the plan to go all out on the bike and see what happens. i had a lot of traffic to go around due to all the people doing the olympic which made the bike extra fun for me. i held a good tempo for the 1st 3 miles recovering from the swim and getting ready for the hill. as soon i hit the hill it was go time and i passed a solid 50-60 people, climb was strong thanks to a 45 mile session on hills in orangeburg the week before. at mile 6 i picked up robert vanderburg and we had a bike race the last 6 miles of the race. i probably wouldn't have gone as fast if we were not constantly yo-yo'ing. I rode front tri-spoke and rear disc. i chose disc because everyone was going to be slow on that climb no matter what wheelset I picked and it would allow me to be fastest on the flats and downhill sections. I took my gu at mile 3 at the start of the hill section, helped carry me the rest of the race. i went through 750ml of rehydrate after 10 miles because the heat was high and the pace I was pushing was great.

nothing, perfect bike
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

very smooth transition

nothing
Run
  • 21m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

came out very good, about 1.5 miles on the road is covered by shade. there is aid station as you leave transition, at 1.2 miles (the turnaround), and as you pass by transition again 2 miles. I rolled the tri suit down to aid if cooling. As soon as I started running I knew my legs were trashed because of the bike leg, but that was the plan and it worked. I held sub 7 until the hill at mile 2. the last mile i ran about a 7:30 up the hill, on the hardpack gravel road and on top of the dam.

not much i could do, followed the plan and overall it didn't hurt the run too much.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, found the friends who were watching the kids and then found the wife and cheered for her on the run section.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat was the most limiting. bad line pick for the swim.

Event comments:

this is a great race too bad turnout is low for it. the 2 most important things to know: 1. if you have kids this is the race for you; they have a playground and swingset, the have a pond with swimming area, and they have a concession stand with bathrooms. the run is amazingly spectator friendly. 2. DO NOT WEAR A TRI SUIT THAT HAS WHITE IN IT, the water is very heavy orange clay (mud bottom), if you swim in this water for more than 5 minutes then your white tri suit will be a brown tri suit. Post race they ran out of water, soda, gatorade, and snacks. Awards were great at this race, they were metal plaques that had race name and date. This was one of the best races in the south carolina tri series! Cool video of the event: http://vimeo.com/105003847

Last updated: 2014-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:33 | 750 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 16/50
Performance: Below average
Suit: nineteen frequency
Course: The swim is one counter clockwise loop in the possibly wet-suit legal waters of Langley Pond (NOT WETSUIT LEGAL IN AUGUST!). Athletes encounter a long run of 400 yard to transition after the swim. 100m will count on your swim time the other 300m will count on your transition time.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:45 | 12.43 miles | 22.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 6/50
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: the bike course is one loop which is best described as UP then DOWN as athletes climb to the high point on the course before roaring downhill to the low point back at the event site. While there is a significant amount of uphill, there is also a great deal of flat to rolling terrain and of course lots of fun and fast downhills. It is almost described best as 3 miles flat, 3 miles clmibing, 3 miles flat, 3 miles fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:54 | 03.1 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 10/50
Performance: Average
Course: the run is flat and fast and designed as an out and back. the is a good hill that occurs at mile 2. the 1st .3 miles is on dirt pack then you transition to the road, the last 1.1 miles is back on dirt pack. the dirt pack has some rocks. on the way back in you pass right by transition and the finish line to run out across the dam turnaround at the end of the dam and then run to the finish line. the
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-31 2:20 PM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Subject: Langley Pond Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Langley Pond Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Langley Pond Sprint Triathlon

Started by mkw777
Views: 1080 Posts: 1

2007-05-01 2:15 PM mkw777

Started by shiloh1206
Views: 1525 Posts: 1

2007-05-01 8:03 AM shiloh1206

Started by RSPDiver
Views: 1333 Posts: 3

2007-04-30 4:46 PM emitch1

Started by barqhead
Views: 1956 Posts: 5

2007-04-30 4:41 PM emitch1

Started by tigerrocker1969
Views: 1469 Posts: 6

2007-05-04 7:39 AM tigerrocker1969
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.